Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gov. Romney says "Hams are not needed" with agitation.....  (Read 48898 times)
KJ4ETG

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2012, 08:04:56 AM »

QUOTE:

"Host and moderator Natalie Jacobson asked an increasingly-agitated Governor Romney questions about communications interoperability, and communication without commercial power. Romney was next asked by Jacobson, "...so does it come down to ham radio?..."
The Governor replied in a disgusted tone, "No, we don't need to deal with ham radio operators..."
Embarrassed public safety officials later tried to put in a good word for Amateur Radio. National Weather Service Warning Coordination Meteorologist Glenn Field was prepared to state the importance of Amateur Radio, when Salvation Army Colonel Fred Van Brunt was called upon. Van Brunt remarked about his organization's quest to improve its communications capabilities and how Amateur Radio has aided his organization. "The ham radio situation helps a great deal," he stated."

END QUOTE..

This governor thinks his rear doesn't stink and says it with arrogance. Mean while for the last hundred plus years Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) has been more than a pillar in this countries dark years when in need and around the world. We're always prepared to run towards the fire not asking for nothing in return and he dismiss's it with no regard.

The fact that he over looks our devotion, dedication and commitment to God and country is an insult. Lets not forget the image not only as Americans but from hams all across the world that represent "Ambassadors of Good Will".

I believe once you make a statement like that it's what you believe in and no PR representative can fix that error.

Every ham around the world needs to make sure our government officials don't get to comfortable on their high horse. Every now and then we need to remind them we do vote and quite many of us can vote quite differently if they over look us and take us for granted. Attitudes like this can lead to future changes not in favor of frequencies allocated to us.

Write or E-Mail Gov. Romney's office addressing his comment. You don't have to be an American to speak out in which if needed in other countries I'd gladly protest the same. A ham is a ham no matter what part of the world your in. We stand together!!!

What do you think?

Article can be found here: http://ema.arrl.org/node/802

73!

Roll Eyes

"Hams across Massachusetts and eventually across the nation only seemed to hear the words "we don't need to deal with ham radio operators" and reacted negatively. This, even though the remark was taken out of context. Most hams never bothered to find out what really transpired even though the entire program has been available on the WCVB website since it was broadcast. Instead they relied on inaccurate and incomplete information being passed along on the World Wide Web".

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/january2008/mitt_romney.htm

People misspeak, especially in politics, and a lot of times the "knee jerk" reaction is to crucify the person who misspoke.  Also, the entire story is not given accurately and people form their opinions based on only part of the information given.  I'm not here to start a fight;  all I'm saying is get all the accurate information before stoning the man. 
I am politically neutral and will end up voting for the individual who I think will do the country the best service and benefit the American people.  That being said don't judge until you have all the correct information.

If nothing else ask the man directly, what he meant.  I have found that the media tends to construe the facts to best serve the media. 
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2012, 11:59:37 AM »

I'm awfully glad I don't need Romney or Obama (or mainstream media as my unwanted proxy) to validate my existence on radio.
I can't even believe this thread is still going on. Everyone done working through the punchlist of other stuff that is of concern in the Emerg Mgmt world?
 Roll Eyes

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2012, 08:26:32 AM »

W8JX said, "Isn't it also strange how short a memory they have. We had 4 dollar gas 4 to 5 years ago yet they act like the it is all new guys fault."

So true.  It seems Americans have a very short term memory.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:29:27 AM by N0YXB » Logged
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2012, 03:53:17 AM »

Where's Ross Perot when we need him?
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2012, 03:54:53 AM »

Do you seriously think that Obama or Romney cares anything about Ham radio?  Or that the general US population has high regard for Ham radio operators?  Most non-Hams look down on Ham radio operators as socially inept goofballs.  If they would bother to attend any Hamfest, the public's generally held opinion would be confirmed.

Gene
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2012, 08:12:40 AM »

Do you seriously think that either Obama or Romney gives a rat's @$$ about the common man either--unless it's to get his vote?  All their promises don't amount to squat.  This thread--about Romney and ham radio isn't anything to worry about.  Romney isn't going to squash ham radio single handedly, neither is he going to do much about how ham radio is utilized.

Even though started with some possibly 'good intentions', this thread has become nothing but a waste of bandwidth.
NC4TB

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2012, 11:24:05 AM »

Appears to me his ignorance and arrogance is showing. Not my first choice as GOP candidate either. The Great Uniter he won't be, but I'll have to vote for him against O.
W8LGZ

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2012, 09:06:34 AM »

I don't know if anyone else bothered to put for the effort to research a bit deeper on this or not, but... Apparently, this interview actually took place 11/16/2005. Here is a link that contains a writeup from Don Wilbanks, AE5DW where he put forth the effort to contact Romney about this. The second link is for the video of the interview so you can draw your own informed conclusions.

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/january2008/mitt_romney.htm

www.thebostonchannel.com/video/5334306/index.html

Personally, I NEVER trust a "sound bite" or "clip" of what someone says, it's too easy to twist it to mean what you want. And no, I'm not trying to sway anyone to be for or against Romney (or any one else for that matter); I just don't like only half the story being told, like so frequently happens in politics these days.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 09:11:15 AM by W8LGZ » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2012, 09:35:45 AM »

Well party aside, he is not to be trusted. They now suspect that he is using a questionable loop hole to hide a lot more wealth than he reported and why he does not want to release returns prior to 2010 which may show this hidden wealth. If it is not true he could simply releases his returns and lay it to rest. When you run for this office, nothing is really private anymore unless you have something to hide. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K0PD

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2012, 10:59:01 AM »

Not all public officials feel Hams are a asset and are entitled to there opinion. I'm sure Romney spoke out of no for thought on the subject. Just as i'm sure the author of this thread is a Obama an Democrat party supporter and was using his political preference to post this about Romney.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2012, 11:31:42 AM »

I'm sure Romney spoke out of no for thought on the subject.

No worries, you can just shake him up like a Etcher Sketch and start with a clean slate.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: April 15, 2012, 06:38:20 AM »

It just shows what he thinks of us. Even as a back-up resource.

And yet hams will vote for him. Go figure.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Jim, With due respect, everybody's world doesn't revolve around ham radio.  Some of us consider ham radio a hobby   Grin  and not the centerpoint of our lives, and as such have many other more important things that we consider those fools--uh.... candidates, by!
N4UED

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2012, 10:59:44 AM »

I SENT HIM AN E-MAIL ASKING HIM ABOUT  HIS REMARKS A FEW MONTHS AGO .
HE NOR ANYONE ON HIS STAFF HAS ANSWERED .
HE WILL NEVER GET MY VOTE .
AK4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2012, 11:22:30 AM »

I SENT HIM AN E-MAIL ASKING HIM ABOUT  HIS REMARKS A FEW MONTHS AGO .
HE NOR ANYONE ON HIS STAFF HAS ANSWERED .
HE WILL NEVER GET MY VOTE .

You sent a guy who's running for perhaps the most powerful political office (perhaps) in the world an email asking him to explain something he said 7 years ago in some obscure interview about a relatively very small group of people and he didn't answer? Huh.. odd. I'm sure they don't get much email so there's really no excuse. Well, he'll sure regret it when he doesn't get your vote. Maybe he'll think twice then.

On the other hand.. there is the fact that, while email seems to be an "assumed" guaranteed communication these days, the possibility exists that the email servers didn't deliver it.. or it got filtered in SOMEONE's spam filter along the way.. that someone was deleting the tons of spam that DOES get thru and accidentally deleted your email.. or half a dozen other things that could happen to email.

I guess my point is that there could be plenty of other explanations. Or he might have just roared with laughter, hit the big DELETE button and went back to killing puppies.

Chris
AK4KZ
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2012, 02:56:07 AM »

At last using ALL CAPS is a sure-fire way to increase an email's spam score.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: