Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rumor about FT-817, on the Yahoo GP  (Read 30709 times)
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 06:12:53 AM »

The difference, on the air, on HF, between five watts and 10 watts is nil. The guy on the other end will never know the difference.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 08:48:37 AM »

The difference, on the air, on HF, between five watts and 10 watts is nil. The guy on the other end will never know the difference.

I disagree, 3 db is the threshold of a noticeable change. The few 817's I worked on SSB the copy was very tuff at times. Even a 1/2 a S unit would have helped a lot.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KW6LA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 02:15:10 PM »

<<    I disagree, 3 db is the threshold of a noticeable change. The few 817's I worked on SSB the copy was very tuff at times.   >>

If I was copying that signal with my short mobile antenna I would not see a difference however on my Mosley Beam and tower, yes it does make a difference.
To many time we compare signals from dummy loads to phased arrays without discernment. This is why the argument for QRP is all over the place.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 06:36:23 PM »

My 817ND has been in the Yaesu shop for three weeks now, "waiting on parts", with the expectation of three more weeks. Apparently, the "front panel unit" is a scarce item. Only new radios get them. Figures...

KJ4DET

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 07:08:47 AM »

My 817ND has been in the Yaesu shop for three weeks now, "waiting on parts", with the expectation of three more weeks. Apparently, the "front panel unit" is a scarce item. Only new radios get them. Figures...

I ordered and 817 earlier this month. A friendly guy at Giga Parts said they expected them this month. He mentioned an issue with the supply of a part, screens. So, maybe this is good news(sorry for the wait). I paid through Google and I've not been billed yet.

It would be good if Yaesu put out an update on their site.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 01:40:41 PM »

Why not make it 20 watts?

This is a very effective power for  SSB  operation. Every time I switch between my Milpack and my 100 watt rig nobody makes comment that my signal drops. On My Mil manpack if I run 5 watts on SSB its like smashing your head into a brick wall, you really need to be a sucker for punishment trying to operate SSB at 5 watts. With 20 watts it opens a new world even with the whip.

The designers of these radios need to take a distributed approach when designing QRP radios. They should design the radio so that you have a driver and a PA.  The driver should deliver say 5 watts and  a small 20 watt pa could be switched in when you have sufficient battery or other DC power source. This could be easily done and many mil model HF manpacks take this approach. By varying the power you can say use either one or two 10 watt PA modules.

It would be nice to have a radio like the FT817 with 5 watts and say you going to turn on the AMP(20 watts) the difference is amazing on HF. 5 watts is enough power for CW.,

Today the receiver uses very little power, the excess power in the batteries should be used for high power. These days with Lithium batteries readily available there should be no excuses for not having a 20 watt QRP radio.

I would be happy if  the new Yaesu radio supplied an adapter cable that would allow you to plug in common batteries from  battery operated drills. You can buy them everywhere and at cheap prices. You then could use your drill battery packs for  QRP portable operation. You would always find someone with a battery operated drill battery in an emergency. The new LIPO drill batteries keep their charge for months with very low self discharge.

Anyway my vote is for a 20 watt  HF radio. The Elecraft KX3 would have been a better radio with 20 watts instead of a  inconvenient 100 watt PA. You might as well buy a FT857 rather than carry all the KX3 accessories with all its cable failure points that will always go flaky. The KX3 seems to use cheap everyday connectors and not mil spec connectors. A 20 watt all  in one FT817 will be the most popular radio ever if Yaessu designed  and produced this radio.

High performance receivers dont count for much when you use simple antennas in portable and emergency operation. What is more important is being heard and  battery life. Having a 20 watt radio that can hang behind the door on the coat hanger ready to go  would be popular. Having to collect 10 bits and pieces is a  messy way of doing things, and you will always forget to bring 1 cable and then your operation is ruined.

The mil HF manpack concept is the best one. We dont   need mil specs, just the same form factor, Anyway I dont expect innovation from the Japanese companies, they just not good at new ideas because they only listen to themselves.

They could upgrade radio and increase power to 10 watts and have longer life and likely less weight to if they would use lithium batteries like most modern laptops do. They could even make it snap in and out like a laptop too for easy battery change in field.
KJ4DET

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 08:00:18 AM »

Boy's, I got some good news today. This was in an e-mail from Giga-Parts.

"We received an update from Yaesu today on the FT-817ND backorders. They expect to be shipping radios to us the last half of March. We hope to have more specific information over the next couple of weeks, and we’ll continue passing along information as it becomes available."

N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »

Boy's, I got some good news today. This was in an e-mail from Giga-Parts.

"We received an update from Yaesu today on the FT-817ND backorders. They expect to be shipping radios to us the last half of March. We hope to have more specific information over the next couple of weeks, and we’ll continue passing along information as it becomes available."

If they don't make improvements to it, then they need to cut it's price?
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 02:01:38 PM »

Having a 20 watt radio that can hang behind the door on the coat hanger ready to go  would be popular. Having to collect 10 bits and pieces is a  messy way of doing things, and you will always forget to bring 1 cable and then your operation is ruined.

The mil HF manpack concept is the best one. We dont   need mil specs, just the same form factor, Anyway I dont expect innovation from the Japanese companies, they just not good at new ideas because they only listen to themselves.

There is a radio like that, called the Vertex VX 1210, it sells for $1549 on E-Bay and the optional antenna tuner is another $200 or so. It has a self contained battery and antenna might be optional. An all in one unit ready to go at a moments notice.

This is the kind of unit I wish the ham companies would sell for the ham community. The VX 1210 is made more for commercial applications for remote areas.

I believe it is channelized and has to be programmed in advance. But it runs on the ham bands from what I read and puts out 20 watts. You could probably find it for less elsewhere. I have never seen these sell used, guess the owners don't want to sell them. There is even a Yahoo group out there.

Specs for VX 1210
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rugged, Portable HF Manpack Radio

- 500 Channels
- 20 Watt / 5 Watt (J3D/A1A/F1B); 10 Watt / 2.5 Watt (H3E)
- RX: 0.5 – 30 MHz
- TX: 1.6 – 30 MHz
- 3 Programmable Keys
- 8-Character Alphanumeric Channel Label

Light Weight, High-Capacity Lithium Ion Battery
Includes 14.8 V Lithium-Ion battery with RX/TX battery saver option that lasts up to 24 hours in receive mode and up to 10 hours in standard SSB operation.

Integral Noise Blanker
Improves operation in high noise and areas with significant interference. The noise blanker enhances intelligibility in the presence of vehicular ignition noise and other sources of RF generated impulse noise.

Automatic Antenna Tuning
With the optional ATU-1210 installed, simply press and hold the assigned toggle switch to initiate automatic antenna tuning for whip antennas.

Additional Features
• SSB/CW, AM and Data Operating Modes
• Battery Status Monitor
• Call Alert / Hailer (multiple tones)
• CW Semi Break-In
• TOT

Package contents:

- 1x Vertex Standard VX-1210
- 1x MH-50B7A speaker mic
- 1x FNB-66Li: 14.8V lithium-ion battery pack
- 1x CD-17 rapid charger
- 1x PA-26 AC adapter
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:10:46 PM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 02:39:25 PM »

You will find it here,www.vertexstandard.com
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:43:03 PM by N5RWJ » Logged
KJ6MSG

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 03:48:44 PM »

Fellas,

I have some bad news. I just heard from Hamcity.com that Yaesu will not be delivering as promised for the middle of March (aka now). They have pushed back delivery again and this time they will not attach a date. Looks like more wait time.

KJ6MSG

KJ6MSG
@kj6msg
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 09:00:30 PM »

Fellas,

I have some bad news. I just heard from Hamcity.com that Yaesu will not be delivering as promised for the middle of March (aka now). They have pushed back delivery again and this time they will not attach a date. Looks like more wait time.

KJ6MSG

It is quite likely that rig is getting so dated that they may be having trouble getting parts for it.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KATEKEBO

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 05:32:51 AM »

It is quite likely that rig is getting so dated that they may be having trouble getting parts for it.

The delay is related to a very specific part - the LCD display.  Both, Yaesu's factory and the factory of the supplier who makes the LCD display were affected (destroyed) during last year's tsunami.  While Yaesu has been able to restart production of most of their equipment, they LCD display for the FT-817 is still not available.  Unfortunately, LCD displays like this one are model-specific and can not be replaced by off-the-shelf parts.  Yaesu has three options:
- wait until the original supplier of FT-817's LCD displays restarts production
- find a new supplier who will develop/build the tooling for this specific display
- re-design the FT-817 to use a different LCD display (generic dot-matrix or model-specific)
So it has nothing to do with "old" parts - it's an issue with a very specific part that unfortunately can not be replaced with off-the-shelf components.

With the massive rebuilding effort after last year's tsunami I am not surprised that getting the FT-817 back into production is a low priority item for Yaesu.  Vertex Standard has a massive market for professional products (land mobile, marine and aviation), and I bet these are much more important to get bet to pre-tsunami production levels than their amateur products.

KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »

Yaesu and Vertex are separate companies now.  The Vertex-standard land mobile divisions are owned by motorola.  Yaesu-Musen has the Amateur, Air, and Marine equipment and is once again Japanese owned.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 02:55:08 PM »

The delay is related to a very specific part - the LCD display.  Both, Yaesu's factory and the factory of the supplier who makes the LCD display were affected (destroyed) during last year's tsunami.  While Yaesu has been able to restart production of most of their equipment, they LCD display for the FT-817 is still not available.  Unfortunately, LCD displays like this one are model-specific and can not be replaced by off-the-shelf parts.  Yaesu has three options:
- wait until the original supplier of FT-817's LCD displays restarts production
- find a new supplier who will develop/build the tooling for this specific display
- re-design the FT-817 to use a different LCD display (generic dot-matrix or model-specific)
So it has nothing to do with "old" parts - it's an issue with a very specific part that unfortunately can not be replaced with off-the-shelf components.

With the massive rebuilding effort after last year's tsunami I am not surprised that getting the FT-817 back into production is a low priority item for Yaesu.  Vertex Standard has a massive market for professional products (land mobile, marine and aviation), and I bet these are much more important to get bet to pre-tsunami production levels than their amateur products.

It would have been a good time to scrap 817 and design a new one and new part sources.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: