Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vibroplex Bug Repair  (Read 818 times)
W7HBO

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2004, 06:31:41 PM »

I recently purchased a 1948 era Vibroplex bug from a friend in Puerto Rico.  However, the bug needs both refurbishment and repair.  Is there someone who does this?
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 07:17:50 AM »

Repair as in what?  Parts for Originals (and some Lightning and Champion parts) are still in production, so that's a matter of DIY...just call Vibroplex.

As far as rechroming, repainting, etc. I don't know of anyone who does just bugs, but I'd look for someone with lots of metal painting experience (ie. auto body shop) if you don't want to do the painting yourself.

Steve, KE4MOB
VE6MRX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 04:33:20 PM »

Hi folks,
 I just rebuilt an old tired Bencher with sentimental history. I took all the  metal parts into a metal replating service, came back in a nice brass finish. Other parts like springs and pivot points are available from Bencher (great service and wonderful folks). I had new red lucite pladdles made from a pattern of the old ones from a plastics reseller. I now have a mint Bencher keyer that will last my life time and maybe can be passed down. At the end of the day the cost was about 50% of the replacement cost, but it's the memories in that old key.
 That 1948 Vibroplex would be a great project, check the yellow pages and good luck, hope these ideas help.
73s
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: