Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show me an Active Ham Married with Family and Job and I'll show you.....  (Read 9275 times)
WA4D

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2012, 12:20:15 PM »

Show me an Active Ham Married with Family and Job and I'll show you.....

A lousy Parent
An unhappy spouse
A poor employee

This assertion is so easily supported that it needs no references. As surely as obesity is rampant in the hobby (and increasingly the nation).  If you know Married/employed/with Kids Hams, they are probably failing in their lives.  Start with the Wife (Don't ask him).  Ask her if she's proud of her "Ham Husband"!!!!  Ask her if she is fulfilled? If the Ham spends time with the kids?  Does he read books? (unlikely)

Many (if not most) Hams "go dark" during the years of life when they pursue career and build a solid family. Still there are many who do not.   Active hams as described are seldom achievers as a Spouse, professional or Parent.  Tell them so!

So the next time you're on the air and meet one of these Hams tell   them to get off the air and "get a life"!  (Of course they won't, but you'll have made your point!)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 01:10:37 PM by WA4D » Logged
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 01:11:52 PM »

BE HAPPY, DON'T WORRY!!  Smiley
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 03:22:42 PM »

My wife said she is going to leave me if I keep talking on this damn radio, over...

2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 03:41:17 PM »

Radio is something I do as a hobby, a pastime. I'ts WAY behind my wife and daughter, surfing and motorcycling, reading, active Skepticism and probably mountain biking.

But yeah I will admit I am overweight; however this didn't stop me riding 110 miles cross country last year over 2 days. Or many training rides. Or going surfing or playing with my daughter (or both - teaching her to surf!).

I suppose I don't live my life through ham radio or its achievements.  Grin Some do.

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »

That's a pretty broad brush to paint with.  Very typical for a Troll, but I can't resist replying to the post.

I am 44 years old. I take pride in being a great dad, a loving and wonderful husband to my wife of nearly 20 years, and a stellar (award-winning) professional...and I am an active ham.

Am I as active as most?  No. I only have a couple thousand QSOs over the last 3 years. However, I do find time to make a few QSOs a week.

How do I do it? 

Well, for starters, I work shift work (day/eve) so when I am on eves and the wife and kid are away at school during the day, I get on the air.  Of course, this is usually while I am doing the laundry too (I don't ask my spouse to do it...do you?) so I may have to take breaks between QSOs to fold laundry, but that's the price I pay.  Or, when I get a week day off and I clean my entire house (so that my wife doesn't have to do it!  again, do you do that?) while the family is at work/school, I may get on the air for 30 minutes or so before they get home.  Or when I get home at midnight and the whole house is asleep, I get on the air for an hour or so... and then I am still awake in the morning to see the family off to work/school.

I don't get on the air when the family is home, or when I am home on weekends, or when I need to take my daughter somewhere, or when there are chores to do or errands to run.  I do all of that first, THEN make time for me if there is any time left.  My wife is in LOVE with my hobby, because when I am doing it I am at home.  I can do it while doing other things (like laundry, cooking, etc) and I make sure that her weekends are "chore free".   

And my hobby NEVER interferes with my work....the work pays the bills to allow me to enjoy my hobby (I can't even fathom the connection you seem to have made between poor employees and ham radio) and I would never allow a hobby to interfere with my professional career.

So, the next time you meet me on the air and want to criticize me and tell me how I'm a bad parent/husband/employee, remind me to tell you about my daughter with the 4.3+ GPA in an honors STEM program who has my undivided attention even if I can't understand most of the math she does for homework; my wife who is the love and joy in my life and who hardly has to lift a finger at home because I have done it all; and my job in which I am a recognized and awarded superior performer. 

However, at the end of the day, does it really matter?  Who made you the "Ham Radio Moral Police" responsible for deciding who is a good dad/husband/employee.  Get a life!  I have a very rewarding one that happens to include Ham Radio.  Do you?

Dave
K3DCW

A lousy Parent
An unhappy spouse
A poor employee

This assertion is so easily supported that it needs no references. As surely as obesity is rampant in the hobby (and increasingly the nation).  If you know Married/employed/with Kids Hams, they are probably failing in their lives.  Start with the Wife (Don't ask him).  Ask her if she's proud of her "Ham Husband"!!!!  Ask her if she is fulfilled? If the Ham spends time with the kids?  Does he read books? (unlikely)

Many (if not most) Hams "go dark" during the years of life when they pursue career and build a solid family. Still there are many who do not.   Active hams as described are seldom achievers as a Spouse, professional or Parent.  Tell them so!

So the next time you're on the air and meet one of these Hams tell   them to get off the air and "get a life"!  (Of course they won't, but you'll have made your point!)

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 06:41:51 PM »

You make time. Example: I`m at work and only have a half hour lunch break. I go out to my car,eat my lunch while talking on the repeater to a friend while he`s on break. You`re at home? Wife`s in the shower?-radio time. Wife is sleeping,radio time. Kids are doing homework-radio time. Wife is shopping-radio time. Wife is talking on the phone-radio time. It may mean no time for contesting,but still radio time.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 06:45:20 PM »

Why is anyone responding to this idiotic rant?  It's obviously something written to provoke defensive comments.  4D: GFY
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »

Sometimes it is just fun to feed the trolls.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 06:18:59 AM »

A lousy Parent
An unhappy spouse
A poor employee

Cripes, Mike, Who put vinegar in your morning oatmeal?   Shocked
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 06:45:37 AM »

Sounds like somebody's wife has him hung out by ummm... Well you get the picture.

Maybe if he feels that bad about it he should just turn in his ham license. Wait, is this the guy that had his license yanked at one time? Sounds like he is the one that is not happy. It's like anything else you can always make time for it. Shouldn't be that big a deal. I'm pursuing a career and still have plenty of time to get on the air. I'm sure not gonna sit around on the couch glued to a tv in my off time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:03:25 AM by K4EKG » Logged
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »

WHAT A CROCK OF MALE BOVINE FECAL EXCREMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guy is a real piece of work! I hate to feed the troll but ....

I am successfully employed with a good salary, have a loving wife whom I fully support while she is persuing a Jurist Doctorate (yes she works fulltime too), a teenage step daughter who is a blast to hang around with, a very active life with both of them and also very active in my community and ham club.

Sounds like this bonehead needs to get a mirror! I bet his wife just dumped his sorry keester for being a pompus A$$!

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
LX2GT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 10:44:40 PM »

What is your definition of being active anyway? Since starting again on the HF bands, in October 2010, I manged about 250 QSO's. Now, while not married, and no kids, I have a girlfriend, that hates anything technical, and bought an old house, I am mostly renewing myself, with my own hands, as I cannot afford it otherwise. Add to that my job, working 40+ hours a week. So, by your definition am I active on the ham bands? Would really be interested in knowing that :-)

Luc
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 06:14:00 AM »

I'll comment on this from the point of view of a 'westerner' living in an Asian country and married to an Asian (Thai) lady.

My wife positively encourages my radio hobby, because it means that she knows where I am and knows that I'm not 'at risk' from other women!!

Living in Asia is very interesting, especially as a happily-married guy.  Thai ladies tend to be very suspicious of the actions of other Thai ladies, especially concerning their Western husband.  (Actually, if I did stray, the other lady would be blamed for 'seducing me'!!)

I've been able to mould my job around my hobby.  I own the airport hotel at the busy Phuket International Airport, and my ham station is installed right in the reception area of the hotel, (I designed the buildings to include my station).  So I can sit at my computer/transceiver, chat with customers, keep an eye on the PSK screen, tap out some morse, maybe drive down to the nearby beach for some mobile QSOs.

Believe me. my wife is way happier than the Thai wives of other Westerners, who frequent the local go-go bars every night!

Simon
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 01:00:38 PM »

A true Ham knows that radio comes first!  Smiley   We just try to make time for everything else.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 01:54:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure WA4D lives under a bridge.  I wonder if he's ever tried stringing a vertical down from the bridge. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: