Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drake 2-NT Erratic Meter  (Read 2389 times)
WB2JJV

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2012, 01:17:24 PM »

When I first acquired my 2-NT the meter was erratic, I always had output but occasionally the meter would not deflect.  Sometime if I switched it back and forth from Spot to Xmit it would kick back in, but now it won't deflect at all.  As I said, I know I am getting output so it must be in the meter circuit and hopefully is not something mechanical with the meter itself.  This version of the 2-NT has the meter board mounted on the meter housing.  Any advice before I dig in would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »

David,

The first thing I do when a meter is erratic, is to use process of elimination. I pull the meter and run it in a circuit by itself. If it is a mA meter, I create a circuit with a simple resistor and meter in series, and see if the current is where it should be with a 12V supply.

If it is a voltage meter, I do the same, and also check deflection with a VOM in resistance mode.

One I verify the meter is OK, then I attack the circuit.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 03:07:04 PM »

...Sometime if I switched it back and forth from Spot to Xmit it would kick back in, but now it won't deflect at all...

First thing I'd be doing is cleaning and lubing that switch.  Deoxit.

N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »

I have repaired many meters by loosening then tightening the screws where the wire is soldered to the tab. Dissimilar metal oxidation causes the failure, and the simple act of moving the screw head scrapes the oxidation away.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 11:46:06 AM »

When I first acquired my 2-NT the meter was erratic, I always had output but occasionally the meter would not deflect.  Sometime if I switched it back and forth from Spot to Xmit it would kick back in, but now it won't deflect at all.  As I said, I know I am getting output so it must be in the meter circuit and hopefully is not something mechanical with the meter itself.  This version of the 2-NT has the meter board mounted on the meter housing.  Any advice before I dig in would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David

http://www.w8ji.com/Repairing%20heathkit%20meters.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: