Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Universal Radio  (Read 18585 times)
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 04:53:20 PM »

Perhaps UR don't want to invest in better software for their
business.  Too bad, they would make more money if they had
their inventory or lack of inventory under control.

I agree, their site had a wealth of info on new and older models.

73 james
W3QE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 08:38:27 PM »

I have to admit, I'm disappointed with Lotw. After going through much work just to set it up and working properly on my computer, two years later it is asking me to do it all over again, which is just like I would have to if I wanted to install it on a different computer. At this point in time I refuse to go through it all over again.

What does LOTW have to do with Universal Radio?

Stephen
N5VTU

Maybe they are BOTH really hard to deal with?

LOL LOL LOL
K4RDH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »

Perhaps UR don't want to invest in better software for their
business.  Too bad, they would make more money if they had
their inventory or lack of inventory under control.

I agree, their site had a wealth of info on new and older models.

73 james

I placed an order this past weekend with Universal.  Got a canned reply Monday thanking me for the order and stating "It is now being processed. Most orders ship in 2 – 3 business days."  Yesterday I thought I'd email and ask for a progress report on the order.  When I got home today received an email stating "Due to an unexpected spike in orders, most orders are shipping in about 4 to 5 business days at this time."  So I decided to give them a ring for a little more specific info about my order.  I was told that "several" items were back-ordered (no mention of this in the email!).  When I asked which items I was told (after being put on hold for 5 minutes) that the radio and the antenna (the most important parts of the order) were back-ordered.  I asked how long a wait was expected and was put on hold again.  After another 6+ minute wait I was told 2+ weeks.  I canceled the order.
WA7YET

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 08:54:52 PM »

I placed an order this past weekend with Universal.  Got a canned reply Monday thanking me for the order and stating "It is now being processed. Most orders ship in 2 – 3 business days."  Yesterday I thought I'd email and ask for a progress report on the order.  When I got home today received an email stating "Due to an unexpected spike in orders, most orders are shipping in about 4 to 5 business days at this time."  So I decided to give them a ring for a little more specific info about my order.  I was told that "several" items were back-ordered (no mention of this in the email!).  When I asked which items I was told (after being put on hold for 5 minutes) that the radio and the antenna (the most important parts of the order) were back-ordered.  I asked how long a wait was expected and was put on hold again.  After another 6+ minute wait I was told 2+ weeks.  I canceled the order.

My experience is almost exactly the same as above. I placed an order and got the normal canned response. After waiting a few days I called to find out when my order was going to ship and was told they were behind on shipping, but since I'm a long time customer they would move me to the top of the list and ship my order the following day. Then I got an e-mail telling me the bulk of my order was out of stock for 2+ weeks. I canceled the order. Not to be deterred, I placed another order for some other items I needed...they too were on back order. Canceled again. I have never had problems with Universal in the past, and I'm sorry to see that they are having such a difficult time.
KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 04:44:29 PM »

I buy most of my gear at Universal but it only about half an hour drive from me. I have never ordered anything but last time I was in I was asking about some things I was wanting and a buddy wanted me to check on a Yaesu 817, they told me that they are still having some issues getting imports from Japan and that some things are taking quite some time.

I know when I was in the market for a new HF rig, i had my eye on the 7410. I called Universal the morning I was going to go over to inquire if they had that rig or the TS590 in stock and was told all they had was the 590 and I decided to have them put a hold on it. Got there a few hours later after work and again asked if they would check to make sure they had no 7410's in stock and explained they were holding the 590 but I was really wanting the 7410. Well, I walked out with a 7410, the guy who looked was looking at the wrong shelf.

Mistakes happen, maybe there are backorder items, I know quite a bit of the expensive stuff they told me they drop ship from direct from the vender. I know I work in a distribution center, doing internet order fulfilment and I am shocked to see orders of 20 units coming down and all but one of those units is on backorder with an estimated date.
WA7YET

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 08:43:47 PM »

Mistakes happen, maybe there are backorder items, I know quite a bit of the expensive stuff they told me they drop ship from direct from the vender. I know I work in a distribution center, doing internet order fulfilment and I am shocked to see orders of 20 units coming down and all but one of those units is on backorder with an estimated date.

I have always liked Universal and they have never done me wrong. I hope my most recent experience was just a fluke. I won't hesitate to give them another chance in the future!
K4RDH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 08:57:58 PM »

Follow up.  Decided to give Ham Radio Outlet a try since they showed all of the items I tried to get from Universal as being in stock.  Placed the order.  Received canned email thanking me for the order.  3 hours later received emails from 2 stores saying that my order was split between them and would be shipping asap. Next morning received emails stating all items had shipped with shipping numbers.  Within an hour received 2 emails from UPS showing my shipping confirmation and progress of my packages.  Now THAT is the way to do business.  HRO shows what IS and IS NOT in stock on the website.
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »

I usually ask them to hold it for me not just ask if there is one available. Maybe your item was in stock at the time of the call, but the website stockers grabbed it.  I ask how many are in stock and can they hold one. Never had an issue.

Just run over at lunch and pick it up..

K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 08:54:43 AM »

Follow up.  Decided to give Ham Radio Outlet a try since they showed all of the items I tried to get from Universal as being in stock.  Placed the order.  Received canned email thanking me for the order.  3 hours later received emails from 2 stores saying that my order was split between them and would be shipping asap. Next morning received emails stating all items had shipped with shipping numbers.  Within an hour received 2 emails from UPS showing my shipping confirmation and progress of my packages.  Now THAT is the way to do business.  HRO shows what IS and IS NOT in stock on the website.

And that's why I do business with HRO almost exclusively now. I know which items are in stock when I order, they are quick to ship out those orders, and if there has been any problem, quick to resolve it. A big thumbs up to HRO, especially their Portland outlet.

John K7KB
N8AGK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 08:48:51 AM »

Worse company I have ever worked with online. Not only did it take them 5 days to process my order, but when it finally came time they said they couldnt process my credit card for some reason. I never have problems with my credit card online and use it all the time. They are such a joke. I should of just stayed with Gigaparts like I normally do. I will NEVER use them again in my life. Their order system and shipping/processing department needs a major overhaul. Sorry I wasted my time with them. I could of had my stuff by now.
KC0HBB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 09:34:13 AM »

AES out of Milwaukee is what I use the most.  I can order on a Monday am and have it Wed afternoon here in Iowa.  Radio City in MN gets a little bit from me, but are a little slower to get the package out.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 06:16:09 AM »

Universal is an ICOM servicing center.  Hence they  should be capable of doing what needs to be done...be it repairs or modifications.

However when my IC7600 failed, I called  ICOM Bellvue, Washington, and when I asked about taking it in to the close by Universal  Repair Center, they told me to send it to them in WA.  Hmmm.

On a side note: I once found the perfect Ford conversion van new at a huge Columbus OH dealer. Told the saleman Id be back first thing tomorrow with my trade in and the cash necessary to buy the van.  You got it. I returned the next morning at 9 am and the van was nowhere to be found.  SOLD! right out from under me.  Last time I dealt with R......I mean THEM!  Grrr.
N4KD

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 10:59:28 AM »

Anyone here ever deal with Universal back in the '70s and '80s? What was the bald guy's name that ran the store? Dick...?

Thanks,
N4KD -- Dave
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »

Anyone here ever deal with Universal back in the '70s and '80s? What was the bald guy's name that ran the store? Dick...?

Thanks,
N4KD -- Dave

I remember it before it moved to current site many years ago. I know who you are talking about but cannot put a name or call to face.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »

Ralph Ricketts was manager and I think owner for some of that time.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: