Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guy Line Tensioners  (Read 2302 times)
KL3HY

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »

I'm planning some antenna changes for when things thaw out up here in Anchorage, and one of them will involve setting up a Rohn H50 mast.  For guy lines I was planning on using 3/16" dacron, and for tensioning them I was thinking about using the little 3-hole guy tension blocks that Penninger Radio sells:

http://www.penningerradio.com/gallery.asp?id=31&cc=

My worry is that they seem to be intended for temporary guying and may loosen over time with wind and vibration.  I really like the simplicity though, which is why I'm leaning towards them instead of turnbuckles.

This will only be supporting an OCF dipole, nothing heavier, but I certainly don't want to have to reset the tension on the guy lines on a monthly basis.

Thanks in advance for your comments and opinions,
Mike
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 03:36:44 PM »

Those look pretty good with the double holes for the standing line.  The kind used with tents and such usually have just one hole. 

Looks good to me.
KK4GER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »

For tensioning (not just antenna guys) I get the best results by just tying a loop in the primary line coming down, about 3 or 4 feet before running it thru a lower tie-down eye or anchor. Then bring the end back up and thru the loop in the primary line.  Pull it tight and tie it at the loop.  If that is too confusing to follow, I can send a picture.  I have never had one come loose.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »

I just tie the rope off using a tautline hitch as I learned in Boy Scouts.  Holds well, but
is easily adjustable.  If you make the last hitch slippery it unties easily, too.
KL3HY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 04:24:45 PM »

Smiley

Sounds like I might've been overthinking this at little bit.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: