Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW vs Text contest on Tonight Show Jay Leno 5/13  (Read 780 times)
KE4DRN

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2005, 02:53:13 PM »

Courtesy of Larry Griggs W7MCO
>
>Tomorrow, Friday May 13th, the Tonight Show with Jay Leno will feature a
>message sending/receiving contest between a cell phone text messaging team
>and a Morse code team.
>
>The Morse code team will consist of Chip Margelli K7JA and Ken Miller K6CTW.
>
>Chip and Ken do a lot of contests and DXpeditions.  Joe Drago, props
>manager for the show is KF6OCP.
>
>This should result in some excellent PR for ham radio.
W1GFH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 12:20:29 AM »

>This should result in some excellent PR for ham radio.

Unfortunately in the costumes the two guys were given, they came off like SUPER-NERDS.
K5CQB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 09:54:37 PM »

Hahahaha, sorry guys I thought the same thing.  Especially with a audience full of college age folk.  It was pretty cool though watching them dust the phones.
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 08:15:56 AM »

I recorded the program on DVR.  And I just can't stop myself from repeatedly watching it.

Chip K7JA (the sender) and Ken K6CTW (receiving) used FT 817s on 432.00MHz for the segment.  

The other side was the Guiness record holder for text messaging.  He said that he could key 160 characters in 57 seconds; "Pretty quick," his words.  His receiver was Jason. The text for the final test was
"I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance."

At Program Elapsed time of  00:15:34, Chip sent the first word, "I."
At 00:15:52, he sent AR.  Jason, receiving text, reacted in shock, then turned, looked at Ken's copy paper and said, "That's awesome!"

Both Chip and Ken have circulated more details over the weekend.  Ken said that they kept the speed slow--28-30WPM--because the producers could
not provide him with a typewriter, and 28-30WPM is as fast as he can write with a pencil.

Chip said they rehearsed the skit 3 times before airing, different text each iteration,
and "smoked 'em every time."
If you did not see the program, I urge you to look around for a video clip online.  It will
probably take a while to download, but it will be worth the wait. The look on those kids'
faces is absolutely golden, when they realize that, 4 runs out of 4, pounding brass still kicks
.- ... ... !      
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 11:27:34 AM »

Here is a link to a video of the show:

http://home.qth.com/
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 11:28:51 AM »

I agree, and I love code and work CW a lot myself, but this wasn't a fair test at all.

Using ham radio, communications were in real-time, with the propagation delay of a signal travelling about 20 feet, which obviously is nothing.

Using text messaging, they're not sending/receiving in real time at all.  The link is negotiated, and even though the two kids were sitting 20 feet apart, the signal travelled a long way and had to be routed using hardware that doesn't work instantaneously.  

Real-time comms will beat that every time, no matter what the mode is.

Great demo, though, and I'm glad Chip got in a brief plug "42 years in ham radio."  I only wish he could have said a bit more.

K7LS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 05:26:12 PM »

***quoted text starts***
Using text messaging, they're not sending/receiving in real time at all. The link is negotiated, and even though the two kids were sitting 20 feet apart, the signal travelled a long way and had to be routed using hardware that doesn't work instantaneously.

Real-time comms will beat that every time, no matter what the mode is.
***quoted text ends***

I would agree with this; however, from what I can tell from the video, the text message was still being entered into the phone when the CW completed.  So taking out the delay you are talking about, they still got their clocks cleaned by the CW.

Eldon, K7LS
http://www.radioqth.net

KC0ILV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 09:29:04 PM »

W1GFH was right though, they could have done a better job on the costumes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: