Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: **ATTENTION VE TEAMS** (especially Southern California)  (Read 7247 times)
W7XF

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:56:46 AM »

PASS THIS ALONG TO ALL THE VOLUNTEER EXAMINERS YOU KNOW!!!!

The notorious Southern California jammer Jack Gerritsen (ex-KG6IRO...the one that jammed Coast Guard and LEOs) is scheduled to be released from prison on Feb. 19th. Even though a condition of his probation is to NOT own or possess any radio equipment capable of transmit (I bet a cell phone will be exempted), he has violated this before, and he probably will again...

He has had TWO licences set aside by the FCC.... after the first one, he went to another VE session and tested and was licenced again..for about a week.

Might be a good idea to find a picture of Mr. Gerritsen, and have it available at VE sessions so if he goes and tries to retest again, we can keep him from doing that.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »

Sorry, I can't follow your advice.  According the the ARRL VE Manual:

VEs may not refuse service to anyone who is seeking an amateur license or upgrade, with the following exceptions:

• The applicant does not provide adequate identification document(s) to the VE Team;

• The applicant is disruptive during the examination;

• The applicant requires special assistance from the VE Team, such as accommodations for the handicapped that the team is not prepared to make available at that time. In such cases, the VE Team must suggest a convenient alternative date/time/location at which they will provide the requested assistance or accommodation (as required under FCC Rule 97.509). The VE Team should indicate in its public announcements that special testing assistance or needs must be arranged in advance.

• Service can be limited to a person when the VE Team has limited time available to it (such as where the test site must be vacated by a particular time). A VE Team might not be able or prepared to offer retests (where the VE Team has only come prepared to offer one test design per examination element).

We are VEs, not law enforcement officials.  It's the FCC's job to screen candidates, including the examination of any terms set by a felon's release.  Include a note with the test packet that you send to your VEC, if you want, but that's about the limit of what you can legally do.
W7XF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 12:29:36 PM »

Understand.  But at least you know he'll be back in circulation and possibly will test.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 02:21:21 PM »

ISTM that, if he shows up at a VE session, the VEs have to test him, and send the results to FCC for processing. They don't really have a choice.

However, they DO have the choice of sending the paperwork with a letter explaining who he is and his record, in big red letters, so that FCC knows who is applying.

73 de Jim, N2EY
AB2T

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 03:18:56 AM »

If Gerritsen intends on criminal activity, then why does he want a license?

When I was in high school a ham in his 20's was caught jamming the police and was arrested.  I'm sure he lost his license among other penalties.  I don't understand why people would behave in this manner.  Delusions of omnipotence?  Never really figured this one out.

73, Jordan
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 04:18:54 AM »

As a VE/VEC we have certain screening requirements to adhere to.  If we do as we are required, then this person can take a test.  It's then up to the FCC to issue or decline a license.  So, it's not our responsibility to do anything except follow the guidelines set by the FCC.
 - Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: