Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A FRUSTRATED DX OP (and rightfully so.......)  (Read 7816 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2012, 04:38:06 AM »

from QRZ.COM VK0TH page:

http://www.qrz.com/db/vk0th
AI0O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 05:07:02 AM »

It was an absolute cluster on 40 this AM. Trevor was solid S6 here through incessant calling. Getting to be the norm. I don't blame him at all.
Rob AI0O
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 05:14:16 AM »

from QRZ.COM VK0TH page:

http://www.qrz.com/db/vk0th

Yep,
 The whole thing is getting out of hand. Everybody wants to be on the Honor Roll yesterday. And now if the DX op doesn't comply it turns "real ugly". I went to do some DX'ing yesterday and then I saw the cornucopia of misinformation on the spot cluster - then I turned on the radio -  and quickly turned it off.

Now he's off the air - I guess everybody is happy now!
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 08:25:01 AM »

And, you know, I am rather  Shocked surprised Shocked.  It has been my experience (or lack of) that the JAs were some of the most polite operators.  Perhaps the dreaded, highly infectious (sp?), LID disease has found its way there from EU (and NA). Gene
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:26:55 AM by AF3Y » Logged
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 10:01:35 AM »

I feel for you guys.....I heard Trevor on 20 meters yesterday (albiet very faintly otherwise I would have tried calling) with a guy taking a list for him....The net controler was having difficulty controling the uncooperative.....This is what it has come too....Just look at the cluster (f).....and this whole W3LPL skimmer issue......and then no one bothers to LISTEN to see who's actually calling on 7.024 (when it's NOT HK0NA)......Seriously,this is what we have sunk to in our beloved hobby???......What a fricken downer....

V
KA3NRX

N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 10:31:57 AM »

As mentioned, I don't blame him a bit either.

He has a higher level of patience than I do. After hearing this side of some of the .........stuff he puts up with, it's a wonder he has been on the air at all. I'm sure it is worse on his end.

Hopefully, he can return and have fun again.

...I heard Trevor on 20 meters yesterday (albiet very faintly otherwise I would have tried calling)
V
KA3NRX

Vince, if you can copy Trevor at all when/if he returns, and need VK0/M, give him a call, he seems to hear very well.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 10:40:54 AM »

As mentioned, I don't blame him a bit either.

He has a higher level of patience than I do. After hearing this side of some of the .........stuff he puts up with, it's a wonder he has been on the air at all. I'm sure it is worse on his end.

Hopefully, he can return and have fun again.

...I heard Trevor on 20 meters yesterday (albiet very faintly otherwise I would have tried calling)
V
KA3NRX

Vince, if you can copy Trevor at all when/if he returns, and need VK0/M, give him a call, he seems to hear very well.

That's just it....I don't need VK0/M...Worked that back in 1987....Didn't want initially put that info out there and get beat up by everyone....LOL......

V
KA3NRX

KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 01:28:15 PM »

Well, *I* need VK0TH.

Listening to 28025 & area as CW types try to get HK0NA, it sounds like a bird farm with like 6 operators at times. CWGet even picked up a TU5 in that mess. If that call is real, that's pretty rare here itself, as well.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 03:50:34 AM »

I saw VK0TH spotted last night by a couple of Brazilians on 17 meters. I didn't go there and with info lately on these clusters who knows. But maybe Trevor reconsidered. Lets hope so. I'll probably never get to work him, but for those that can, this could be good news.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 07:19:56 AM »

I didn't realize this but VK0TH is using a on line log that posts leader-boards. Its no wonder that people are going crazy. Some of these guys have from 15 to 22 QSO's with him already.

He did jump in the line of fire, big time.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 08:09:28 AM »

What I got out of this story is VK0TH is on Macquarie! I have heard him but I thought it was Antarctica and simply tuned past! I NEED Macquarie. What a dope!

paul
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 08:47:33 AM »

I happened to be up early last weekend with work (had an all-nighter). Before I went to bed around 5 or 6am I saw VK0TH was on a 40m net. I listened as they worked through the list. I got on the next list and was able to work him. Everything was pretty civilized, although the net control ops did have to 'instruct' one or two others that tried to break in and get on the list or try to work him directly. I worked a fair amount of DX this way when I was younger - off the DX nets. There used to be a good one on 14.160 a good 20+ years ago.

Occasionally everybody makes mistakes and might not hear EU only, or forget to hit their 'split button' but listening to people just sending and sending and sending and sending and sending and sending and sending their call... right over QSO's or when he's calling repeatedly for the W6C station and the K9 station just keeps sending.. that's just pretty poor operating. I can understand why he gives up in frustration and goes QRT. I'm not perfect but I do my absolute best to listen and stop when they call another station.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »

I happened to be up early last weekend with work (had an all-nighter). Before I went to bed around 5 or 6am I saw VK0TH was on a 40m net. I listened as they worked through the list. I got on the next list and was able to work him. Everything was pretty civilized, although the net control ops did have to 'instruct' one or two others that tried to break in and get on the list or try to work him directly. I worked a fair amount of DX this way when I was younger - off the DX nets. There used to be a good one on 14.160 a good 20+ years ago.

DX Net?Huh??  He wont ever be in my log if I have to shoot fish in a barrel to get him.  Never worked a net, NEVER WILL.  Gene AF3Y
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 09:50:25 AM »

Each to their own but when I started many years ago I used to enjoy the 15m DX nets. It is a great starting point for smaller stations.

Mark N1UK
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 05:46:24 AM »

Have to agree with Gene.  I only recently returned to ham DXing after a 30 year(!) holiday, and I need this as a new DXCC.  But QSOing via a net?Huh - You must be joking!!!!  That cannot seriously be called 'DXing' can it?

Simon

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: