Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A FRUSTRATED DX OP (and rightfully so.......)  (Read 7924 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 06:14:47 AM »

You guys are right..DX nets are for pussies....I'd much rather have the chaos and noise and bad behavior and everyone intentionally qrming everyone else just to get that qsl card when I work DX....Because of the "challenge"... Roll Eyes....I mean some of us just don't have enough stress in our lives.....So naturally we's want more in our leisure time activities..."challenge" is a euphamism for BIG PAIN IN THE ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..... Shocked.....but we've had this argument before....Let's just let it go, have those who like it go their way and those who don't go their way....and let it drop, OK???....

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 06:19:46 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 10:12:18 AM »

What I got out of this story is VK0TH is on Macquarie! I have heard him but I thought it was Antarctica and simply tuned past! I NEED Macquarie. What a dope!

paul

Paul: If it makes you feel any better, I don't believe there is a DX'er alive that can actually claim they haven't let one slip away because they didn't recognize the prefix. It happens, believe me. It's like leaving the shell off a coax connector after both ends have been soldered. Never happens, right? Smiley

John K7KB
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 12:18:20 PM »

LOL wow, so much criticism for a DX net? Let's see.. I was up at the time, there was a sparsely populated net that was allowing operators to work him.. the propagation was decent on 40 ssb for a change to that part of the world. So you guys think I should have spun the VFO and said "Nah, too easy?" Perhaps I should have dug my pixie II out and connected it to a coathangar for an antenna and buried in the antenna the ground and hoped I could work him? What if I called CQ and he answered? Should I have not then answered him because that is far too easy to work a new DX station? Geez.. he was there, it was an all-time new one and I worked him. Do I normally work DX nets? No. I don't even know what net it was. I do prefer the challenge of figuring out the pileup and getting through. However in this case the net was there, he was there and I worked him. Lighten up.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 12:22:38 PM by KB2FCV » Logged
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 12:40:16 PM »

What I got out of this story is VK0TH is on Macquarie! I have heard him but I thought it was Antarctica and simply tuned past! I NEED Macquarie. What a dope!

paul

Paul: If it makes you feel any better, I don't believe there is a DX'er alive that can actually claim they haven't let one slip away because they didn't recognize the prefix. It happens, believe me. It's like leaving the shell off a coax connector after both ends have been soldered. Never happens, right? Smiley

John K7KB

One slipping away happened to me regarding QSLing....about 20 years ago I worked a couple of stations on Rhodes....Not thinking it was it's own separate entity, I pu pued them and never sent for a card....It wasn't until years later that I figured this out.....Now I can't find the operators I worked (SV5ADM and SV5TS, who I was told after tracking people down, was now too old to do anything, even send a card).....I worked SV5 again, but it was a painful wait....next time I will be more on the ball myself....I also regret not working the South Sandwich expedition back in was it 02 or 03???...I can't remember.....Letting that one slip away was a humongo mistake too....

V
KA3NRX

AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »

About 5 years ago (1/5/2007) I worked VP8/LZ1UQ. Just another Falkland Island QSO I thought.

I needed South Shetlands, never worked them.

Thank you, Mitko.
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 11:40:47 PM »

Smiley - well, what is abundantly clear to me - both from the comments on this thread and many other threads - is that there seem to be a big number of highly-strung, stressed out hams who clearly suffer from high blood pressure (mostly USA I have to say from their call-signs).

Some of you guys need to chill out when another person disagrees with your point of view.

I'm very glad that 10 years of living in Thailand has taught me the patience of Jobe and never to lose my temper, regardless of the situation.

Relax guys!!!!

Simon
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 12:22:31 AM »

But QSOing via a net?

I know of a Caribbean net on 40 meters about 11:00 UTC. If I had a rig that covered 40, it would be tempting. Yet, I wonder about the quality of the "catch".

Yes, There's a few last fall when 10 meters was so hot, that got away due to my impatience during pile ups.

I worked VP8/LZ1UQ. Just another Falkland Island QSO I thought.

V call signs could be easily thought of being Canadian. I might confuse LZ with the more common LU's on the band. Japan has most of the J's, but I *DO* know JY# is Jordan! I read about King Hussein, JY1, years ago.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 08:43:35 AM »

V call signs could be easily thought of being Canadian. I might confuse LZ with the more common LU's on the band. Japan has most of the J's, but I *DO* know JY# is Jordan! I read about King Hussein, JY1, years ago.

There's a lot more to V than Canada. Canadian V-calls are usually (though not exclusively) VE, VA and VO. That's it. V3 is Belize, V4 is St. Kitts/Nevis, V5 is Namibia, V6 is Micronesia, VU for India (including two rare entities, VU4 Andaman/Nicobar and VU7 Lakshadweep), VK for Australia -- which also has a good number of rare entities like Heard, Macquarie, Willis, Cocos (Keeling), Lord Howe, Norfolk, Mellish Reef and Christmas Island associated with it, V7 is the Marshall Islands, V8 is Brunei and all the VPs (basically British territories in the south Atlantic). And don't forget Diego Garcia (VQ9), Hong Kong VR2 and probably a few others I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 09:06:24 AM »

Have to agree with Gene.  I only recently returned to ham DXing after a 30 year(!) holiday, and I need this as a new DXCC.  But QSOing via a net?Huh - You must be joking!!!!  That cannot seriously be called 'DXing' can it?

Simon

I see the purpose of DXing as BEING ABLE to work station XYZ. Not being King of the hill as in a CONTEST. In years past, some stations were only available through a net or a regular schedule with another station. 9N1MM comes to mind, but there are many other examples in the DX world.

This continual contest mentality has nearly ruined DXing. Diamond, Marathon, pig hollow, awards every year.

73 Tony N5UD
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »

I didn't realize this but VK0TH is using a on line log that posts leader-boards. Its no wonder that people are going crazy. Some of these guys have from 15 to 22 QSO's with him already.

He did jump in the line of fire, big time.

I did not see on HRdeluxe log the same presentation as on the other famously used log. I agree, this is detrimental.
I did see where some have worked VK0TH many times.

Yet I am just looking for ONE QSO. Preferably CW as I still need that corntry on CW DXCC. I can't get a pattern on Trevor operations. He is here, there at that time, then this time, and gone. I have BARELY heard him once.

I have come to a determination that some must live by the radio and spotting computer 24X7. How do you get so many QSO's on stations so erratic ?

Today's radio manners are awful. I have addressed this previously. Contstant calling. It seems, "if I can't get them, then no one will" is the theme.

73 Tony N5UD/M
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »

I don't get stressed out and have high blood pressure over this. My blood pressure is actually quite good based on my last physical. I simply stated how I made the contact and all of a sudden people decided that I was a "wimp" or a "pussy" or not a real op or didn't work real DX. I don't have a dream antenna farm that others do, and I don't get upset about it. When I have a nice copy on DX with my dipole that is attributed to a little bit of propagation good luck, it's my choice to make the QSO however possible while still using good and courteous operating. Had he been working split, I would have tried to work him..  I would not have spun the VFO and said "naaah... too hard". So I used a DX Net? Hey guess what, so did the DX station and others who worked him too. 99% of the time I'm in the pileups with the rest of you and the pileups are great fun. Had I realized the mere mention of a DX Net would ruffle so many feathers I would have never mentioned it at all.

James "Fake DX OP" KB2FCV
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 11:52:38 AM »

Paul: If it makes you feel any better, I don't believe there is a DX'er alive that can actually claim they haven't let one slip away because they didn't recognize the prefix. It happens, believe me.

For me it's the other way around: I work a prefix and only later realize it was DX at all.

e.g. I worked AH0BT on 40M early one morning, and only months later did I find out he wasn't in the midwest, but on the Marianas Islands.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 05:19:51 PM »

I simply stated how I made the contact and all of a sudden people decided that I was a "wimp" or a "pussy" or not a real op or didn't work real DX....

REPLY: Dude, If you would read my post, you will find that I was being facetious and am on your side of the issue.....just clearing the air...nuff said....

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:22:16 PM by KA3NRX » Logged
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 05:27:09 PM »

I simply stated how I made the contact and all of a sudden people decided that I was a "wimp" or a "pussy" or not a real op or didn't work real DX....

REPLY: Dude, If you would read my post, you will find that I was being facetious and am on your side of the issue.....just clearing the air...nuff said....

Ahh thanks, I appreciate that. I think I might have misread that. Yep, I agree.. I think enough said on the issue.
AA9RN

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 06:14:30 PM »

If people have problems with working dx on a net.Then by pass and move on.

It also could be said working Dx off a cluster is for wimps. Come on spin the dial and find your own Dx.

Geez its just another form of working DX.

I for one welcome working Trevor anywhere anyway. He does not have a strong signal. I would like to work him on 10,12 and RTTY yet.

I worked him on 15 and I see he never got my signal report because people start calling before you get a chance to finish a qso.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: