The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NiMH AAs with Wouxun KG-689 (or other Wouxun radios)?  (Read 3150 times)
KB1UJS

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2012, 09:04:39 AM »

I am considering buying some Sanyo Eneloops and an AA battery pack for by Wouxun KG-689.  Has anyone ran this radio, or other Wouxun radios, on NiMH AAs? 
KB7ZGB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »

Hello !

I have the Wouxun KG-UV3D which uses the same battery group as your 689.  Sorry to say, but I can not recommend using NiMH cells with the AA pack.  I wanted to do the same thing you're thinking of-- including the Eneloops-- and the short story is that it doesn't work well.  More accurately, it plain sucked.

I tried using Eneloops and other similar high capacity rechargeables with consistently poor results.  5 x AA NiMH just doesn't have enough voltage to make the radio happy.  Here are some observations during my trials:

* I was able to power up the radio and run the receiver for under two hours, but that's the best I could do
* Temperature made a noticeable difference.  NiMHs were nearly useless in chilly outdoor conditions
* 1 W Low power/short duration transmissions were possible on a fresh pack, but you'll see the panel lights dim when you key up the transmitter
* 5 W High power transmissions often caused the radio to shut down, even on a relatively fresh pack
* My radio shut down and scrambled on a weak pack, resulting in an uncommanded full reset that wiped the memory- yikes !

Your radio is close enough to mine that I believe you can expect similar performance.  The AA pack works great with normal alkalines, but rechargeable batteries unfortunately won't get it done.

Hope this helps, good luck !

- Robert
KB1UJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 06:10:43 PM »

Thanks for the information.  I was afraid that would be the answer I'd get.  If the AA battery pack held 6 batteries instead of 5, I think this would be a non-issue.  I'll just get a second rechargeable lithium pack for the radio and maybe get the AA battery pack and some lithium primary AAs at some point for emergency use.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:16:04 PM »

You'll get poor results, and with good reason.  Alkalines when fresh supply between 1.5 and 1.6 volts while rechargeables can only supply 1.25 to 1.3 volts--if you're lucky.  Alkalines when drained to the unuseable points for these radios usually only supply about 1.15 to 1.2 volts--barely less than the fresh condition of rechargeables.

Is it any wonder why rechargeables don't seem to last?
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:42:10 AM »

Is this a Wouxun battery pack design issue, i.e. only 5 AA cells (6V w/ NiMH) vs. 2*3.7V=7.4V Li-ion in their rechargeable pack?

I have no trouble w/ 6 AA NiMH's in my Yaesu FT-60r "alkaline" battery pack vs the factory 6 NiMH pack, in fact my 2100 (2200?) mA-hr cells slightly outlast the factory 1400 mA-hr (now shipping w/ 1800 mA-hr?) pack, but I'd expect 6 alkaline (nominally what: ~2800-2900 mA-hr?) to fair worse, at least at 5W Tx, due to their higher internal resistance, though better if used just for Rx.

Also: it's my understanding that the low self discharge Sanyo eneLoops have slightly lower internal impedance than conventional NiMH's -- so should be slightly better than their mA-hr rating would imply in high discharge current applications (e.g. HT's, digital cameras & large camera flashes) though I've not tried them yet. Anyone have side-by-side experience w/ th eneLoops vs. regular Sanyo or other NiMH's?
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 10:37:26 AM »

The NiMh work fine - if you turn your TX power down to 1W.

That is more serious than it sounds. I mean, if you are not hitting a repeater/station with 1W while working VHF/UHF, then it probably won't be a whole heck of a lot better at 5W.

Rarely are my HTs set at high power ... not even when working stations 500+ miles away (LEO satellites, of course).

Clint K6LCS

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:41:19 AM by K6LCS » Logged

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: