Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very noisy amp  (Read 1205 times)
KJ7YY

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2012, 05:47:24 PM »

I have an old Swan 1200-X that I have had in storage for years.  If I remember right, I am now 65 years young, it quit working and I just put it in a box and put it in storage.  I reciently dug it out and tried to fire it up.  Very loud buzzing the moment I turned it on.  On further review I found a burned resister between one of the tubes and what I think is the bias circuit.  I replaced the resistor and while I was inside I replaced all four of the tubes, 6LQ6s, and and all four of the filter caps too.  It still buzzes loudly so I shut it off after just a couple of seconds.
Maybe a transformer problem?  Any advice would be appreciated.  By the way, I found one of the filter caps installed backwards, I can't imagine any reason for this but I am sure it used to work.  There has been some modifications that are not in the owners manual.
Thanks in advance, John
KJ7YY
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 06:05:34 PM »

Have you checked it for shorts and I did not see the rectifiers on the list either.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:55:06 PM »

If you haven't already, replace the filter caps.  Decades old, they can only be bad or about to go bad. 
KJ7YY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:26:02 PM »

I have not checked for shorts, but it didn't blow a fuse either.  I will check the rectifiers tho.  The filter caps are new.  Thanks for the help.  KJ7YY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: