Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FIREFOX -- GONE BATTY?  (Read 7969 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »

I finally got fed up with FF and morning coffee. There are scripts that cause the world to come to halt. It's not worth the functionality anymore. Now I am on Chrome... It wasn't worth the headaches trouble shooting since its a browser and not a boat anchor.

The difference is that FF tells you what it going and and tries to block some stuff or give you option where chrome is kinda like a open barn door that lets everything in and out.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N6FOG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 04:18:36 PM »

Some of the add-ons will work from version-to-version, but others will not. There's supposed to be a check routine that FF goes through when you install the latest version to make sure that the add-ons and plug-ins are compatible. If you hit Ctrl+Shift+A, it'll bring up the add-ons page, and you can manage them from there.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 05:21:20 AM »

I was using Firefox (version 8 I think) and Internet Explorer on the same machine.  The IE was for sites that Firefox couldn't display correctly.  After one Firefox and add-on upgrade, the two browsers somehow seemed to interfere with each other--and with the computer itself.  I finally got rid of Firefox altogether and the problems cleared right up.  Now I'm sticking with IE.  It doesn't have some of the nicer improvements that Firefox does, but it gets the job done, and I don't have to switch browsers because a page doesn't display properly.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 07:36:38 AM »

I was using Firefox (version 8 I think) and Internet Explorer on the same machine.  The IE was for sites that Firefox couldn't display correctly.  After one Firefox and add-on upgrade, the two browsers somehow seemed to interfere with each other--and with the computer itself.  I finally got rid of Firefox altogether and the problems cleared right up.  Now I'm sticking with IE.  It doesn't have some of the nicer improvements that Firefox does, but it gets the job done, and I don't have to switch browsers because a page doesn't display properly.

Firefox official release is 9.x now but I have been using there 64 bit beta which is version 12.x now for a few years. It blows IE out of water in speed and flexibility. I run multiple windows and tabs and it handle it effortlessly and will quickly reload them after updating browser with they do almost daily with beta. Compatibility issues (and are because  web sites are not using true universal HTML code) are a thing of past mostly put when it rarely occurs. BTW there is a add one that lets you run a IE tab inside FF when needed for compatibility.  I will use Google Chrome over IE any day. It also has the best built in streaming support (flash and such in integrated) and will run stream video on slower machines that choke with IE or FF at times. Being that I have a 64 bit machine with 8 gigs and 4 cores HP is not a issue here. If you machine did not like them both do not blame FF but rather MS or some other app you may have because I have never seen FF cause a problem itself.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 01:21:43 PM »

I  am currently using FF version 9.0.1 and up-to-date.  No
problems Smiley
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 04:41:31 AM »

Ditto.

Also, I can only speak for Linux, but simply clicking HELP>ABOUT FIREFOX will get you to the window that shows what's on your computer currently, and then will update to the newest version automatically. 

Someone mentioned Chrome......fine browser, but serious issues with privacy and Google's obsession with collecting data on you.  Ask around.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 05:09:03 AM »

Someone mentioned Chrome......fine browser, but serious issues with privacy and Google's obsession with collecting data on you.  Ask around.

I agree but if you want to stream media/video to a older computer with limited CPU power Chrome will stream video smoothly when IE and Fire Fox will not. It is also snappier to use on these same machines too. So you trade some privacy for better performance.

KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 01:25:29 PM »

If you needed a specific version of FF to work with a particular pc you might look at  oldversion.com
Oddly, they also have some late issue beta versions.  Jeff
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: