The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's with the black bar over the eHam logo?  (Read 10338 times)
W0FM

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »

Just noticed that the eHam logo at the top left of the page has been covered with a black bar.  What's up with that?

Terry, WØFM
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:30:13 AM »

It's most likely to protest two bills before Congress, the Protect IP Act (PIPA) in the Senate and Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the House.  The intent of these bills is to crack down on online piracy of intellectual property, but goes too far and could trample freedom of speech. 

Several sites are displaying a black bar over their logo in protest. 

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 11:46:17 AM »

There are plenty of web sites protesting the SOPA and PIPA legislative proposals with black bars... The idea is to illustrate what a censored / redacted internet would look like. BAMA has been 'redacted' for the past few weeks but there is an option at the top of the page to turn it off. Until you notice that it's a pisser...............

Recent news reports claim support for the two bills is eroding.

W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:59:57 AM »

OK, I suspected something like that.  And, I saw on the news last night that Wikipedia and others were taking a stand.  Thanks for the quick info.

Terry, WØFM
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 05:30:09 AM »

It seems that the tactic worked.  Those two bills were withdrawn from consideration in both the house and the senate.  There is no doubt, however, that they'll show up again, because the people really behind them--media broadcasters and the motion picture industry--aren't going to give up so easily.
KU2US

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 09:28:28 AM »

I totally agree with the withdrawl of these two censorship bills. I applaud internet sites that are protesting. If the sponsors are successful, and can censor the internet at will, then (I am old fashion somewhat) whats wrong with a good old phone call or a snail mail letter? BUT, When and if the time comes that phones and letters are censored, then out comes the AMMO! Look what Yahoo has done! They insist that you upgrade to a new edition of their email. You have the option, but they dont like it if you dont. They brashly come out and say that with the new email format, they will SCAN your emails for key words, so they can supply their advertisors with info as to what your buying habits are-Yea right! In my case, I didnot upgrade. They blocked me from reading their news articles and blocked me from responding on threads. Get ready folks, it will not be pretty.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 11:40:31 AM »

They brashly come out and say that with the new email format, they will SCAN your emails for key words, so they can supply their advertisors with info as to what your buying habits are-Yea right! In my case, I didnot upgrade. They blocked me from reading their news articles and blocked me from responding on threads. Get ready folks, it will not be pretty.

What you describe is the cost of "free" e-mail service. There is no such thing as a free lunch any more than there is a truly free e-mail service... If Yahoo! can't offer your address to advertisers you have almost no value to them and that's why they're using news articles as motivation for you to become a marketable commodity.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: