Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why was my post deleted  (Read 24261 times)
AC5UP

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2012, 09:01:07 PM »

And, on a related note, this morning I posted a message in this thread http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,80386.0.html which disappeared this evening... Not edited, but disappeared, completely. Like political dissidents of totalitarian regimes sometimes disappear in the dark of night, never to be heard from again.

No doubt my comments were a bit too colorful for at least one of the Admins here, and I do understand the board is under no obligation expressed or implied to preserve my scribblings, but I think it's ironic this occurred on the same day the board is in alleged solidarity with the folks who believe the SOPA / PIPA legislation could open the door to government censorship of the web.

My. My. My.

Apparently being censored is considered a bad thing by someone here at eHam, but actual censoring? Not so much, because all it takes is a click of a mouse and a mind oblivious to the hypocrisy involved.

Never change a password on a Friday                
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 07:36:40 AM »

No doubt my comments were a bit too colorful

Yes, as I recall that was part of the issue with that post - I think it was also somewhat insulting as well and it
did nothing to further the discussion.

Apparently being censored is considered a bad thing by someone here at eHam, but actual censoring? Not so much, because all it takes is a click of a mouse and a mind oblivious to the hypocrisy involved.

Hypocrisy?  Maybe, maybe not.   

I don't think it really is - there are very few posts that ever are removed or censored here on eHam.net.
We do have some limits as to behavior we will tolerate on the site.  There are plenty of places on the web that have almost zero control at all - USENET is an example. I want those places to continue to exist if they so choose but I do not want to be the one running a site that provides a USENET like experience.  I also want to ensure that you and others can create places on the net that will allow the full expression of your free speech rights.  To that end I support as open an internet as can be had.

The SOPA and PIPA bills as proposed would likely create all sorts of issues for sites that allow for user generated content.

George
K5TR
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:19:35 AM »

Yes, as I recall that was part of the issue with that post - I think it was also somewhat insulting as well and it did nothing to further the discussion.

In other words, you didn't notice the full paragraph explaining that the HW-101 multiplexes band crystals and if one goes bad it can affect several if not all bands? And that garbled audio is one symptom of a heterodyne crystal far enough off frequency that the IF bandpass can move toward the skirts (and beyond) of the SSB filter?

Did those comments do nothing to further the discussion and need to be deleted?         Really?        Because they were deleted.

If you object to a portion of a post at least have the courtesy to edit out the objectionable portions and leave the rest intact. Removing the entire post does nothing to educate myself or others as to what is considered acceptable in the forums and might lead me to incorrect assumptions...

Like how you can oppose censorship at the same time you're deleting legitimate content. That's what hypocrisy looks like, and it's on you.

K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »

If you object to a portion of a post at least have the courtesy to edit out the objectionable portions and leave the rest intact. Removing the entire post does nothing to educate myself or others as to what is considered acceptable in the forums and might lead me to incorrect assumptions...

I do think that editing the post is better - in fact I feel that is worse since we could alter what someone is trying to say.

The tools we have to control content in the forums is crude. I am sorry if you feel that the post was unjustly treated.

I will never claim that the correct actions are taken on posts that we and/or users have issues with - indeed I know that
you can find many visitors to the site that say that we not heavy handed enough. 

I wish that we had a way to easily hide a post and then contact the poster to talk about the post while it is hidden from view
as I feel that would be a better solution for the few posts that we are thinking need to be removed or altered. Our exchange
has been useful to me in that I am thinking of ways that we can do a better job in dealing with posts.

Please repost the content that you feel is missing from that thread. 

George
K5TR
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 02:23:01 PM »

George K5TR,

I saw the post that you deleted and you are way out of line. AC5UP is one of the several contributors with a wealth of knowledge to this forum, especially in the Boatanchors area. I saw the post that you deleted, and I did not find it insulting, but instead sarcastic. There was also info in his post about the AGC problems with the HW-101, which you deleted.

I am starting to thing that you cannot discern the difference between sarcasm, joking, and insulting. And if that is the case, you should not be a moderator.

FWIW, I am a member of about 10 different forums, ranging from ham radio to baseball (I am one of the moderators for the baseball forum). Ever since the AG6K raiding and wreaking havoc on the Amps forum here, the moderation has become excessive. In fact, I can safely say that this forum has more censorship alone, than all my other forums combined. And in fact, I am of the belief that you have become more a censor, than a moderator.

This post will likely be deleted because that is your style. However, I am going to send PMs/emails to the site managers, informing them of your censorship.

I honestly thought you were a better person than to blame it on your "crude forum tools".
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:58:25 PM by N4NYY » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 02:47:12 PM »

BTW George, I find it a travesty that you deleted AC5UP's post on the HW-101, which was far more informative than the "Contesting Redneck Style" in the Elmers' forum, which was neither an elmering subject, but was a troll subject on the use of illegal CB amplifiers and their keydowns. That thread is now 4 pages long.

Your discretion is poor.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:58:56 PM by N4NYY » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »

Not to pick nits, but.......................

I do think that editing the post is better - in fact I feel that is worse since we could alter what someone is trying to say.

? Que ?

It takes only a moment to proofread a post and IMHO that's time well spent. Kinda' like the moment of consideration that should be taken before removing a post...

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 03:21:52 PM »

I sent an email that his moderation is becoming excessive and becoming more of a censor (how ironic). I am a moderator/manager on a baseball forum, and a member of numerous other forums. He moderates/censor more than all my other forums combined.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 04:24:29 PM »

For those of you reading this thread for the first time................................. Me Too.

You see, the post at the top of this thread was originally a part of this thread: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,80390.0.html ...and located right after Reply #3 by WØFM.

At no time have I started a thread asking " Why was my post deleted ", nor have I posted anything in any such thread until now. This thread was created by someone other than myself and consists in part of comments moved from the SOPA / PIPA thread.

A thread which............ Hypocritically enough............. Is about censorship on the web.

In other words, at eHam what you see posted isn't always what was posted. Some content may have been moved or removed, and some day you may find that you created a new thread without creating a new thread.

Amazin', ain't it?

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 04:52:05 PM »

K5TR,

Why the hell are you starting threads with other people's logon ID? What the hell are you doing? AC5UP did not start this thread. Yet you made it appear that he did. You are not scoring any points here. I am pretty sure that there are laws against this.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »

All I did was split this topic out of the Logo thread because it was going beyond the scope of the original question.
It has better visibility now than it did before.

I can fold it back into that thread if you like.

George
K5TR
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 05:35:40 PM »

George,

If you want to do us a favor, just use better discretion. Don't move threads to make it look like someone else started it. It just appears like AC5UP started this, but you did instead. Be less aggressive with moderating. As I said, you censor more stuff than all my other forums combined. And I have seen far worse threads that were untouched than the HW-101 comments that AC5UP posted.

In the future, use the PM to notify the poster that his post needs to be less colorful. If they do not fix it, then edit their posts with asterisks in places that need to be deleted. But to delete entire posts, parts of which are informative, is simply wrong.

Lets just move past this and and bury it.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:39:32 PM by N4NYY » Logged
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 08:37:18 AM »

I think the censorship problem here (and has always been) is that specific rules need to be posted on the front page as to what is subject to being deleted along with consistent and equal enforcement of those rules!  Grin
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 04:42:11 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 09:11:32 AM »

In the future, use the PM to notify the poster that his post needs to be less colorful.

I wouldn't be offended if a moderator got in the habit of replying to questionable posts within the thread itself. While at first glance it might seem more polite to do so in private mail, a little public diplomacy could serve the purpose of letting other users know the moderator took notice, the moderator is working on resolving the (alleged) issue, and all concerned can observe how the (alleged) issue is resolved.

Think of it as a learning opportunity instead of a "correction". Why keep that private?

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 07:38:19 AM »

"I think it was also somewhat insulting as well and it did nothing to further the discussion."

If this is some kind of standard for deletion, then why under the "Mobile Ham" section in the "Magnetic Mounts....Just how safe are they?" string, was K1CJS's "off topic and insulting" post to W8JX not removed?  Wink

Further, under the "Site Talk" section in the "meta issue: "Deep Impact" thread locked," why were multiple "insulting" posts that did nothing to further the discussion allowed to remain and not removed?  Wink

If you don't have specific rules published that everyone can read for reference along with fair and equal enforcement of those rules, intelligent users of the eHam.net site will rightfully complain, as they have here. To put it simply; The buzzards have come home to roost!  Grin

Inconsistent discipline will never yield the desired results. In fact, it actually encourages bad behavior!  Shocked    
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 04:45:06 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: