Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choice of bands ?  (Read 15967 times)
G7MRV

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2012, 03:53:39 PM »

Ive been asked to put on a SES for a town show later this year, its also likely to tie in with the Jubilee celebrations here in the UK.

Now, Im limited on resources, so am likely to only be able to put on a single VHF and a single HF phone station (this is assuming i can recruit another operator!). The VHF station will invariably be 2m FM for the local area.

With regards to the HF side, any antennas will need to be very lightweight and portable, and we will almost certainly be bartering for space for them. Im looking at a fan dipole in an inverted V configuration.

Which bands would you chaps recommend covering? In the past on SES's 80m has seemed to be a standard, but i'd like us to try for some decent DX during the daytime, so am considering the higher bands. With luck i can make the antenna system work on four or more bands, but for the time being lets assume we only get space (and time) to set up for three,

which three HF bands should we cover?

MY instinct is 80, 20 and say 17 or 10m

Martin G7MRV

K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 04:23:21 AM »

I'm sure you know this, but the higher the band, the smaller/lighter the antenna, which should help satisfy one of your requirements.
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 07:51:26 PM »

I hear quite a few Europeans on 15. Try between 14:00 and maybe 17:00 your local time.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:52:28 AM by K0CBA » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: