Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: struggling to go past 6.3 wpm with ARRL CD  (Read 397 times)
KF6VCI

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2005, 05:27:06 AM »

Hi All: for 10 days now, I've been listening to the 5-10 wpm CD. This week's shift begins at 6:45 and I have a 30 min walk to the QRL. But it's kinda hard to stay focussed, but amazingly, I'm doing better with mixed groups and callsigns versus normal texts. ** What do you recommend for overcoming the first hurdle, 6.3 wmp? The CD is using the Farnsworth method... Thank you! 73s from Northern Ireland, Chris MI/Kf6vci
AK2B

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 07:17:15 AM »

Chris,
A professor of mine used to always say "every subject eventually yields to study".
I learned cw with a group of high school friends using the “peer pressure method”.
It sounds like you are doing just fine. You may get several different suggestions on a course of action - the best one is, just keep at it.
Good luck.
Tom

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 11:01:57 AM »

>struggling to go past 6.3 wpm with ARRL CD  Reply  
by KF6VCI on August 9, 2005  Mail this to a friend!  
Hi All: for 10 days now, I've been listening to the 5-10 wpm CD. This week's shift begins at 6:45 and I have a 30 min walk to the QRL.<

::To the QRL?

>But it's kinda hard to stay focussed, but amazingly, I'm doing better with mixed groups and callsigns versus normal texts. ** What do you recommend for overcoming the first hurdle, 6.3 wmp? The CD is using the Farnsworth method... Thank you! 73s from Northern Ireland, Chris MI/Kf6vci<

::I've always found, in 30 years of teaching code to people who'd never heard code before (and all who stayed with the classes graduated the classes speaking code like they were born speaking it) that the only thing that really works is "using" it.  You can listen 30 minutes or 30 hours, but obstacles do occur.  Listening is boring and rare is the person who can listen to code for even 30 minutes and still be focused on it.  *Using* the code, on the other hand, requires concentration (at least at first) and is far more interesting, because you're communicating with it.

::If you can find another person who either knows the code or is interested in learning it, practice with him or her, sending code back and forth to each other, starting with simple little sentences.  You'd be amazed how fast you pick it up, and how all the obstacles simply disappear, this way.  And also how fast the time flies by -- 30 minutes is "nothing," when you're in QSO -- even if the QSO is across a kitchen table, using two code practice oscillators and hand keys.

WB2WIK/6  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: