Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 100 Watt output limits?  (Read 7635 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:11:40 AM »

When a contest says that "Output power must be no more than 100 W for eligible entries" does this apply to only those who submit entries to the contest or does it also apply to the contacts that they make?

Thanks

Sam
W9KDX
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:45:57 AM »

The power categories are for the people submitting logs.  It doesn't matter at all what their QSO partners run in most circumstances... so if you want to run an amp and work contest stations who are in a "low power" class and that still counts as points for them.

In a few contests, like the Stew Perry Topband Challenge, people get extra points for working low power and QRP stations, but they will only get those points from you if you work them QRP/low power and submit a log yourself.  Otherwise they have no way to verify your power level.  I am sure you'll still count for something in such contests but they won't get the extra QSO points a QRP or low power station would give.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:47:04 AM »

That rule only applies to entrants of the contest who submit their logs. Those are the ones competing against each other and they want to know how well they did compared to other operators.
The casual operator that doesn't care about his score or how well he or she did, can use whatever power he or she's wants (within the limits of their license).
If they do want to submit their logs (which is recommended), they can submit their logs as a checklog.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 08:23:51 AM »

In the spirit of good operating one should not run more power than the log submitting contest participants are allowed to. Imagine running 1.5 kW in a QRP contest. 
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 12:13:31 PM »

Thanks,

The responses pretty much sum up what I figured were the rules and general operations.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:50:54 PM by KD0PLD » Logged

Sam
W9KDX
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 03:32:31 PM »

In the spirit of good operating one should not run more power than the log submitting contest participants are allowed to. Imagine running 1.5 kW in a QRP contest. 

That's a fair point.  If the contest is all low power or QRP it makes sense to me to limit yourself...

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W1ITT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 07:24:00 AM »

Well, yes and no...  If I'm not in the contest, and I happen to be operating with 100 watts, or 1500 watts, and happen to answer a weak signal who wants contest points, I don't necessarily know that he's in the contest until I contact him, I don't know the contest rules, and I'll just work him for fun, to be a nice guy and to give him a point or a multiplier.
There are contests large and small almost every weekend, somewhere in the world, and except for those contest afficionados, most of us aren't interested in tracking all of them and knowing all the minutia of their rules.  But it's certainly fun to jump in and give a few guys points.  (By the way, if I work one guy in  a contest, I usually go on to try and work at least two or three more so that the log checkers don't think he's making it all up, or entering a busted call.)
So if I'm running a KW and give some guy 5NN 001 GL, well that's the way it goes..
KE4DYG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 07:02:08 AM »

would it be great if everbody had to run 100wts and do away with amps,the bands would be a lot better. just my one cent worth
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 02:23:21 PM »

Why would the band be better if everyone ran 100 watts?

Why not limit it to 10 watts or one watt.

Today I called CQ on ten meters with 1500 watts. The band was dead. Flat line on the spectrum scope. Then a ZS5 came back and he also thought the band was dead.

Remember a thousand receivers make no noise.

An amplifier is a tool just like a beam antenna.
NI5O

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 12:27:09 AM »

In some contests, or at least the 160 Meters Stew Perry Distance Challenge for example, all entrants' scores are derived by the power levels of whom they contact.  But power levels are confirmed with log submission or your power outpu is assumed to be high power for scoring purposes.  On the "Gentleman's Band" at least, honesty is the best policy.  Kevin B. Paxson - NI5O
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 06:38:48 AM »

would it be great if everbody had to run 100wts and do away with amps,the bands would be a lot better. just my one cent worth

Not that simple. While I agree that there are many times that a KW is not needed and yet it is still used there have been a lot of QSO's that I have had on 40 that would not have been possible or been very difficult without a amp on both ends due to band conditions.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 08:11:29 PM »

Gray line with just 100 watts.  That sure would make things dull-same for when the static crashes are high on 75/80 and 40.

Even when there are a lot of static crashes on 20, having an amp is the difference between being above the crashes or in them.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: