Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for high speed elmer  (Read 460 times)
KD5MDO

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2005, 08:27:07 PM »

Hi all.  My goal for this year was to pick up my copy speed but unfortunately I've had a couple of setbacks (my station was down for 4 months) and since starting college, I've been really pressed for time. However, I use CW as a stress buster and I always welcome a break from studying.  I'm looking for someone that is willing to help me get from my current 30 (or so) wpm to at least 40 wpm.  I have a very difficult time copying bug fists at high speeds so it would be great to find someone who uses both paddles and a bug.  Any takers?  

Just a little background - I live in southeast Louisiana, usually work 20, 30 and 40 meters but can work all bands except 160, have an Extra class license and have been 99% CW since November 2002.  I enjoy ragchewing the best but also like to contest.  

I am also willing to work with someone that wants to pick up their speed.....been there, done that so I understand how it feels when someone won't QRS and is impatient with you.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone that is interested.  

73, DeAnne
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 02:04:48 PM »

I'd be glad to sked with you, but "timing" is of course the problem.  I never know when I'll be available to be on the air.  But we could give it a shot.  

We have worked before (on CW), DeAnn...I have your QSL card, which I must say is different for sure!  (Also oversized, if I'm recalling the right one...)

Steve WB2WIK/6
VE7ALQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 09:59:58 AM »

Hi!  I am Fists number 11117 and would be willing to help you at the bottom end (25 WPM) of the scale, gradually increasing upwards as your and my proficiencies improve.  Problem is that I am in Vancouver, Canada (near Seattle) and only work 40 meters and 30 meters.  I work barefoot, because of BCI problems in the apartment. Unfortunately, I use a Vibroplex Gold "Bug" mechanical keyer.  I don't have an electronic keyer, and don't own a set of paddles.
KD5MDO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 07:03:16 PM »

Sorry I haven't responded back sooner guys.  It's been a rough week.  Anyway, I just had a qso with you on 20 meters Steve, so you know what the scoop is.  VE7ALQ, I would love to qso with you on 30 or 40 meters.  Since it's so hard to set a regular sked, I think it's better if I post up approximate times and set frequencies that I will be calling CQ.  That way, if either of you hear me, we can work on the speed.  Usually, I am on the air anywhere from 2100 to 2300; try these frequencies -- 14.050, 10.111 and 7.050 all +/- in case frequency is busy.  I have applied for a vanity call....K5XYL and am using my club call of K5GGG until I get the vanity call.   Thanks for the qso Steve.  You have a very easy copy fist.  73/88 DeAnne
VE7ALQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 09:44:40 PM »

I usually monitor 7040 kHz day and night.  If you call on that frequency plus or minus 250 Hz, I will almost be sure to hear you, if conditions are favourable.  I run 100 watts out to a Bencher/Butternut HF6V vertical on the roof of the apartment building, and have an Icom AT-180 tuner to help persuade the electrons to flow up to the antenna.

My key is a Vibroplex "Gold" Original, cost $700 here in Canada.  Sorry, I don't have paddles.  Just try calling my callsign on 7040 kHz and see if I answer.  Short skip during the day, lengthens out at night.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 08:46:01 AM »

Hi DeAnne,

Nice to QSO with you last night on 20 CW.  Very easy copy here, too.  We'll "ramp up" towards 40 wpm; I think last night we clocked about 30 wpm.

I use Bencher paddles and a variety of keyers, but sold my last "bug" in about 1973 and I'm not looking back!

73/88

Steve WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: