Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-990 CAT Help Needed  (Read 2551 times)
W8VCK

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2012, 03:20:33 PM »

Greetings
My long in the tooth FT-990 is suffering from a quirky front panel, so I thought I'd switch it over to CAT and use HRD.

Pulled the Yaesu FIF-232C from the basement, and bought a RS-232C --> USB cable for my Win7 PC at Staples, downloaded the latest 64 bit drivers, says I have it on COM4.

Absolutely nothing!  HRD doesn't see the radio.  Documentation for the FIF-232 long gone, I thought the baud rate was 4800 but don't remember.  Opened up the CAT box, no dip switches... Not sure how to troubleshoot to see what the problem is, I have PuTTY terminal program, when connected to COM4 cycle the power on the radio/CAT nothing.

Looking for advice on how to troubleshoot.  A long time ago on a Windows 2000 Computer when I first bought the radio and the CAT box it did work.  Do I need a null modem cable for the CAT interface?

Thanks & 73 de Alan W8VCK
WA2AAR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »

Hi
It will not work with a USB cable I have tried here for a long time when I had the FT-990. I went out and got a serial port card and installed in my computer and go the FIF-232c to work with it. I also use it on my FT-1000D.
As i sold the FT-990 Hop this will help you out.
W8VCK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 07:54:13 AM »

Thanks Ron, that's really good to know.

I'll dig out my old, dusty RS-232 breakout box from the 1980's and try to figure this one out, my bet is that the FIF232c is looking for one of the flow control lines being high (RTS maybe) that USB doesn't know about.  When the thing was built, 4800 baud was blazing fast.

Would love to hear your assessment of the differences between the FT990 and the FT1000, as Yaesu no longer supports the 990, and I can't find anyone to repair mine (Some of the front panel buttons refuse to work intermittently, known as the FT990 "grounding issue").  I am well aware of the technical specification differences, interested in your personal perceptions regarding the noisiness, audio receive quality, and ability to separate out a signal on a crowded band.

Thanks Again

Alan W8VCK Pinckney, Michigan

WA2AAR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:52:05 PM »

Hi Alan
When you set it up in HRD these are the settings that I used
Baud Rate 4800
RTS yes
DTR yes

Also you have to know what com port you are using from the computer to the FIF-232

Bob

WA8OLD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 09:17:05 AM »

Just curious if the "quirky front panel" referred to in original post is the keys not working all the time. I have had trouble with my FT990 with intermittent key function. Its maddening because it doesn't happen all the time, sometimes switching power on and off does the trick, sometimes not. (I have he AC version.) I have posted on this problem before and tried a few suggestions, but still have the problem, but not so severe (yet) as to get rid of the radio.
Dave WA8OLD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: