Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "AMATEUR" Amateur Radio Ops?  (Read 2662 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2012, 09:40:46 AM »

I have come to the conclusion that DXing on weekends and/or holidays, especially with rare expeditions QRV, is like going out for a drive on New Years Eve.

The highways are loaded with drivers who dont know how to drink OR drive after a drink or two. And the Bands are loaded with.......Huh   Well, I think you get my drift.............. Cool  Gene AF3Y
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 12:15:11 PM »

So true ... and precisely why I wake up at 5:30 AM, and come home from the office for lunch (not to mention getting our son off the bus Wink  )
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 02:32:17 PM »

I have come to the conclusion that DXing on weekends and/or holidays, especially with rare expeditions QRV, is like going out for a drive on New Years Eve.

The highways are loaded with drivers who dont know how to drink OR drive after a drink or two. And the Bands are loaded with.......Huh   Well, I think you get my drift.............. Cool  Gene AF3Y

Crowds are bigger and more rude. I sure have heard a lot of U.S. and DX call repeatedly when the DX says XYZ only, only station XYZ. It doesn't matter if said in good English or sent with code. RUDE !

It sure does get old.

73 N5UD /M
KATEKEBO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 06:03:20 AM »

In the end, we are all amateurs.

I think that a much bigger problem than new hams who are trying to learn their baby steps are the "experienced" hams who:

- were born knowing it all, and consider everybody else to be an ignorant idiot - of course, they never had to learn, they were born perfect

- run 1.5kW amplifier to ragchew for hours with a friend 300 miles away, blocking the frequency (and a good chunk of the adjacent ones) with their signal so that nobody dares to interrupt them

- sad, lonely individuals who don't have anybody else to talk to and stretch QSOs for as long as they can talking about things nobody cares and wants to hear - detailed weather report, bragging about their shack, talking about their cat's diet or what they had for lunch three days ago, etc., etc., etc. - especially during a pile-up.

- those who do the same because they feel that they are so important and exceptional that everybody should hear about what they have to say.

and the list can go forever...
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 07:37:27 AM »

In the end, we are all amateurs.

I think that a much bigger problem than new hams who are trying to learn their baby steps are the "experienced" hams who:

- were born knowing it all, and consider everybody else to be an ignorant idiot - of course, they never had to learn, they were born perfect

- run 1.5kW amplifier to ragchew for hours with a friend 300 miles away, blocking the frequency (and a good chunk of the adjacent ones) with their signal so that nobody dares to interrupt them

- sad, lonely individuals who don't have anybody else to talk to and stretch QSOs for as long as they can talking about things nobody cares and wants to hear - detailed weather report, bragging about their shack, talking about their cat's diet or what they had for lunch three days ago, etc., etc., etc. - especially during a pile-up.

- those who do the same because they feel that they are so important and exceptional that everybody should hear about what they have to say.

and the list can go forever...

Yes, and there ARE more for your list.
Still, the weekenders seem to be worse as far as working DX. (Too anxious, cause they know that they gotta get back to work on Monday??) 73, Gene AF3Y
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 07:44:13 AM »

I'm with W1NK. I get up at 3 AM to work DX-peds on the low bands - when the sun is rising in the East, EU has already had their turn - and we in the West Coast have a chance - still in darkness.

And on a work day - its the best. Others are too busy sleeping and then rushing to work. I do both - work the DX and then rush to work. I also agree - the weekends are like the parks - many more pic nickers . . . .

The lowbands RULE!

I especially like when I hear my DX bro's in the Ricky Mountain states getwork the DX, and then the gray line gets close to the West Coast, and its our turn.

I'll never forget TO5E and FT5XO - when all of a sudden, the signals of these rare DX-peds grew to incredibly strong, and I witnessed a whole line of DX-ers get that rare entity.

That was sunrise - and on sunset - I'll never forget hearing the VU5 and the VU7 on 40M and working them easily after the day was a frustrating mess on the high bands.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 08:08:31 AM »

I agree with that observation and think it's a valid and funny analogy, if for no other reason than the number of ops with their rigs on weekends versus week.  And my car always stays in the garage New Year's Eve!

N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 08:27:35 AM »

If it makes you that unhappy, why not do something else?
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »

Don't worry about Gene. As you can see from his post count, he is the official forum whiner Smiley

And yes, some of us are not lucky enough that we can be retired, casually working the DX on the weekdays. So we have to squeeze in a few hours chasing DX on the weekends and balance time with the family plus other weekend projects. So sorry if we encroach on your operating a bit. You could always stay out of the ham shack on the weekends if we are too much of a pain in the rear Gene Smiley

John K7KB
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 02:06:38 PM »

If it makes you that unhappy, why not do something else?

I do something else from time to time. Actually MOST weekends....... I check out New Smyrna, Daytona  or Cocoa Beach for well stuffed bikinis, except when the weather is not cooperating Cool .  73,  Gene AF3Y  P.S. Today was and the beach was full of nice scenery. All you guys shoveling snow and freezing your asses off should be here. hi   Grin
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:11:51 PM by AF3Y » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 02:11:04 PM »

Don't worry about Gene. As you can see from his post count, he is the official forum whiner Smiley

And yes, some of us are not lucky enough that we can be retired, casually working the DX on the weekdays. So we have to squeeze in a few hours chasing DX on the weekends and balance time with the family plus other weekend projects. So sorry if we encroach on your operating a bit. You could always stay out of the ham shack on the weekends if we are too much of a pain in the rear Gene Smiley

John K7KB

Oh, Come on now...... Dont you think Vince holds that official whiner title??  I am the WINER tho, just finishing up a nice glass of YellowTail Shiraz. Grin

And Yes, I am lucky to have lived long enough to retire and play radio, or whatever, during the week, when I am not at Mayo Clinic or some other pill peddling SOB's office.  Roll Eyes  I do try to stay out of the shack on weekends, but sometimes the weather cuts into my beach time, so I have to bite my tongue and get on the air. 73 es gud DX, Gene AF3Y
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »

Have to agree.  The piles are pretty deep and rough on the weekends.

I had to work from home today and the "office" computer happens to land right next to the radio.

During conference calls and work, I managed to work the TN2 on 3 bands, the VP6 on 4 bands, and finished the HK0 on the high bands.  Throw in a VP8 and some other stuff, and it was a pretty good day. 

Not to say that idiots are not on during the week.  They certainly are.  Case in point:

1)  The guy who got mad that VP6T was working EU on 10 this morning and wanted to carry on a conversation on VP6T's transmit frequency because he "didn't care" and felt that the EU hams could hear the VP6 through him, and

2)  The bedlam on 14.313.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: