Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tower WebCam?  (Read 896 times)
WB4LCN

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:01:22 PM »

I will be running HF remote about 15 miles away (over RemoteRig). At the remote location, I will have a 60ft. tower. Since I'll have an Internet connection there, could I place a WebCam to show the tower over the Internet? It's up 2000ft. and gets windy at times. I'd like to watch for storm activity to know if I need to crank down the tower. I've never set up a remote webcam. How do I do that?

Thanks much!

dave Wink

First, make it work, then make it pretty.
Yaesu Rigs: Kenwood TS-480HX, FT-8900R, FTM-350AR (Bluetooth motorcycle mobile), VX-8DR, SB-102 boat anchor (built one as a kid)

Moderate Spock: "Live for a reasonable amount of time and scrape by."
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 07:04:59 PM »

Tower cams are definitely done.  I've heard a number of EME fellows that have them so they can quickly align their beams.
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 08:39:06 PM »

The easiest way is to buy a webcam with an Ethernet interface.. like a Linksys WVG80N or equivalent. 

You can also do it with a PC, a USB cam, and a variety of programs that will do what you want.  Some dump an image every so often to a server location you specify (using, say, FTP), then you just build a webpage that points to that image.  Others dump the image to somewhere on the disk, and it's up to you to use something like VNC to get to the machine and look at the file.

And finally, there are "streaming video" kinds of applications.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: