Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we not have a stake in keeping AES/HRO healthy?  (Read 8885 times)
WA4D

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 12:09:58 PM »

W5DQ  Gene....

To your point on stores in S. Calif area.  (Perhaps not "many" but several... which may be the highest geographic concentration of  "bricks & mortar" Ham stores in the nation (world?)

HamCity.Com   / Juns Ham City  5563 Sepulveda Blvd., Ste D in Culver City, CA

HRO  Burbank  1525 W Magnolia Blvd    Burbank, CA 91506

HRO Anaheim, ca. 933 N. Euclid St. in Anaheim

HRO
San Diego 5375 Kearny Villa Road #113 San Diego, CA 92123

As well as HRO in Sunnyvale and Oakland. And AES in Las Vegas.

So the Southern California Ham has multiple choices. Some close, some a drive and depending on your lifestyle, all reachable.

Mike

W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 04:27:02 PM »

The last new stuff I bought was from AES, "mail order".

He is what you can do, reward the place with the lowest total cost, then give your local store the difference between what they sell the items for and what you paid the other place for the items.

Bob

K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 09:14:33 PM »

He is what you can do, reward the place with the lowest total cost, then give your local store the difference between what they sell the items for and what you paid the other place for the items.

If all hams in N. Texas agree to this in writing, I'll set up a local store myself.   No inventory, of course...
ND6P

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 09:22:20 PM »

I would find the best deal and go with it. 

It's up to the state to adapt to the advancement of technology.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 09:57:48 PM »

To answer the original posters question, we are a Republic fueled by Capitolism. We are not obligated to "save" any kind of private enterprise. The false notion of the opposite is how our nation got into the financial mess we face today!  Shocked   

Businesses live or die on their own financial merit. The local stores will stay solvent by keeping  smaller numerous items in stock that are repeatedly needed by hams on a daily basis, in addition to some big ticket items. That, along with providing good advise and service, will ensure a constant flow of purchasers.  Wink

To these comments I would add a final thought for our financial recovery. Buy AmericanGrin   
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »

Sounds to me like the current business model for ham radio stores is a very active internet presence and a minimal "brick & mortar" store for accessories. No showroom, no display radios (you're not going to buy here and pay taxes). If you want to try a radio, buy it, and we'll take it out of the box for you. If you don't like it there is a 15% restocking fee and your money is refunded.

I don't know the answer, without changing the laws, in this current enlightened society where price shopping on the internet is prevalent. It sounds to me like before long it you want to buy something there is will be no way to physically see it first, order it and pray.

I know the solution but NO-ONE wants it, me included, a national sales tax on all purchases. End of problem, no matter where you buy it you pay sales tax. As long as the FED gets nothing, it all goes to the states.

Clif
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 01:47:48 AM »

Is there no state without a sales tax?
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 02:21:19 AM »

15 or 20 years ago I would pay the state tax because the local dealer would honor the warranty. They would either repair or replace the rig on site. Now when you get a bad rig you have to deal with the manufacturer. Not worth it to pay the tax on the item in that case. Sales tax on a 5K rig is pretty steep. I take the best deal online.

Get the FTDX5000MP Dog. You will like it. Grin
KK4GER

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 06:39:21 AM »

Is there no state without a sales tax?

I lived in New Hampshire for many years, where there is no sales tax, but they make it up in real estate and personal property taxes.  In Virginia, we have reasonably low real estate / personal property taxes and a 5% sales tax.  Add it all up, and it comes to about the same thing.

I agree with KA5IPF, Clif, that a flat national sales tax is really the only fair tax and it doesn't have to be high either.

Last comment: KI4SDY, you hit the nail right on the head, IMO!
WA4D

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 09:25:02 AM »

Jim....

Yes the FT 5000 is my choice. The only caveat is that if Kenwood releases the long rumoured Full Boat HF Radio at Dayton.  Patience is a virtue our Mothers taught us!

Cheers from LA
mike/ wa4d
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 09:49:18 AM »

Well let's see...
to pay the tax or not pay the tax  Angry ... that is the question...
wether it is nobler to pay the tax and support your local economy and local ham supplier or keep your hard earned dollars in your pocket, I would keep the money in my pocket. 
Considering that this Country was founded on the notion of taxes are a bad thing, I really don't know why you would even ask this question.  As the commercial says it's your money... not the Government's so  KEEP THE MONEY

You could also if feeling guilty for saving $500, spend it on some more goodies.
K1MMI

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 01:51:57 PM »

Mike,
Altadena, CA has a use tax of 8.75%.

I would think if you bought a radio online and saved the sales tax you would owe the use tax from a legal standpoint. But that is more of a moral or ethical issue. I suspect at least 95% of people would choose not to pay the use tax.

In Massachusetts we had a few nice Ham Radio stores but most customers in Massachusetts did their window shopping in Massachusetts and spent their money in tax free New Hampshire. So now we do our window shopping in New Hampshire since there are no Ham Radio stores in Massachusetts.

Ed - K1MMI
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 04:08:01 PM »

I got back into ham radio because of a local store. I'll never forgive them!

Seriously though. Mix it up. Big ticket items don't have the same margin as the small stuff. Buy the big stuff online, but get the coax, DC cable, and some other accessories at the local store. After all, I'm sure you forgot something when you were setting up the shack.

And BTW, most states have an online sales tax form that you are supposed to fill out (and pay) when you do your state income taxes.
WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »

I would find the best deal and go with it.  

It's up to the state to adapt to the advancement of technology.

I'll agree. If the State has not kept up with the technology and has threatened the livelihood of the brick and mortar stores, it would seem that the citizens should vote out the money grabbers and vote in some new blood that will be resposive.

I feel their pain (brick and mortar stores), but it's the fault of their elected officials. If those officials are slow on the uptake or thieves, then vote them out. Be the change that the politicians only talk about.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:45:22 PM by WB4LCN » Logged

First, make it work, then make it pretty.
Yaesu Rigs: Kenwood TS-480HX, FT-8900R, FTM-350AR (Bluetooth motorcycle mobile), VX-8DR, SB-102 boat anchor (built one as a kid)

Moderate Spock: "Live for a reasonable amount of time and scrape by."
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 04:43:20 PM »

So the Southern California Ham has multiple choices. Some close, some a drive and depending on your lifestyle, all reachable.

Umm, Sunnyvale & Oakland are over 400 miles from So. California.

I do feel a little guilty of this, a group of us caught HK0NA on 12 meters yesterday (and also QSO'd them) at HRO, though one of the sales clerks also joined in on the QSO. But, most of the time I buy something when I'm there. I would have bought a torroid there, if they had them.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: