Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are they and what are they doing there?  (Read 439 times)
KA2JIZ

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2005, 04:46:40 AM »

Been QRT for years but recently back on 40 meters. I notice a lot of SSB, English and Spanish language, on what was/is the CW portion of that band. I don't recall it being there some years ago. Can anyone tell me what has changed?
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 05:55:09 AM »

Actually nothing has changed.  They were there 10 years ago as well as now.

Many countries are only allowed access to the 7.000 to 7.100 segment of the 40 meter band.  So they have to squeeze their entire band plan/regulation into that section.

Canada allows voice down in that segment as do many Central and South American countries.  This lets them do simplex to Europe on 40m.

However, the 40m band is slowly being expanded worldwide and within the next few years will become ham exclusive clear up to 7.200 worldwide.  So I would expect to see a shift in the non-US countries to redo their band plans to move voice up.
KA2JIZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 09:26:28 AM »

Thank you for the information. I really don't recall that ssb activity, but it has been a while. Very pleased to read of the future 40 meter ham band plans.
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 08:01:11 PM »

I think Mexico has voice privileges down to 7.000 KHZ, so as a very near neighbor, I often hear reasonably strong ssb signals.  I think, though, Mexican hams generally  avoid voice operation in the "DX" portion of the North American 40 meter CW band.

Seems to me Canadians also have voice privileges down to at least 7060 and maybe all the way down.  I'm not sure.

A lot of Europe, though, does have grant hams privileges above 7100 on 40 meters.  Many years ago when I was operating in France, I think the upper limit on 80 meters was 3600 kha - a 100 khz band!  On 40 meters I was limited to 7000-7100, and voice was permitted anywhere in that range.  

In 2009, the foreign broadcast stations are supposedly to vacate the 7.100-7.300 segment, granting pretty much world wide access to 7.000-7.300.  There may be some holdouts in opening that range to ham radio, possibly in Africa, but at least the BC will be gone.  

I would not be so sure European and Mexican ham radio voice allocations will move up the band, though.  Especially in light of the very strong likelihood that USA voice allocations will *expand* downward, possibly to 7050.  And even that could be tossed into the creek if the ARRL's bandplan is ever adopted.  (And if so, it will NOT affect Mexican or Canadian hams - which could result in substantial QRM.)  

I'd bet both Mexico and Canada are fairly closely watching what we do in our ham radio world so they can adapt to it.  We are the "big gun" in North America, with probably three times as many hams (right now) as both Canada and Mexico combined, and probably Central America as well!  And by the next dramatic licensing change in our nation, we may double that.  So our status is of serious concern to both of those neighbors.  

We have similar problems with 80/75.  3.800 to 4.000 is allocated to broadcast in some parts of the world not in Region II.  Again, both Mexicans and Canadians are permitted voice operation low in the band, but I don't know the limits to that.  Even this close to Mexico I do not often hear Mexican stations on 80 meters.  

The good old days when we knew what was going on are gone.  Back then, 7100-7200 was known as the "foreign phone band," as was 14100-14200.  And I think 3700-3800.  Life was simpler.  (Or in today's vernacular, "more simple."  We can't say such complicated wors ending in "er" anymore. Ah, the subject of another rant!)

At any rate, changes are in the works here in the USA. How they will affect our neighbors - and how our neighbors will affect us! - will be known only after the changes go into effect.  

Ed
VK2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 04:16:35 AM »

Just some corrections Ed.
In Europe 80M is 3.5 - 3.8 Mc with 3.5 - 3.6 Mc exclusively CW (shared with digital) That has been like that for years and years.

The European 40 M band is 7.0 - 7.1 with no phone below 7.040. Only the UK recently expanded the band to 7.2 but all other European countries still have 100Kc only, although there is a lot of preassure to follow the UK.
VE7ALQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 02:29:25 PM »

Canada now has no sub-bands.  We Canucks are allowed 6 kHz on all bands except 30 meters, and in all bands are allowed one kilowatt DC Plate Input (750 watts RF out)  Thus Canadians can legally work SSB all the way to the bottom of 80 meters, 40 meters, 20 meters and so on.  It is just adherence to a "gentleman's agreement" that we do not operate in the American CW sub-bands.  It is not unlawful.

It is interesting to note that all emission types are allowed everywhere but 30 meters, just so long as they are 6 kHz or less wide.  On 30 meters the restriction is 1 kHz, thus precluding SSB.  We Canucks can also work 30 meters with our one kilowatt DC Plate Input power, we do not have to QRP on 30 meters unlike our American brothers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: