Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why don't we do something about Jammers and Lids?  (Read 4924 times)
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »

Sounds like a good idea but it would never work.  Frustrating as it is, there is really no practical way to consistently track down deliberate jammers.  And what if you do?  Does a torch-bearing mob show up at his front door and terrify his family...who don't know how weird Dad is back there in his radio room?

Definitely do not give deliberate jammers the satisfaction of any kind of acknowledgement.  In most cases, that only feeds whatever sickness it is that compels them to try to mess things up for the other 99% of us who play by the rules.  Just look at it as another part of the challenge, along with propagation, antenna restrictions, and a thousand Italian stations with their speech processors on "100."

I'll say it again: if it was easy, we'd all be tied for number one on the honor roll.  Or we would have long since lost interest without the challenge.

73 and good DXing,

Don Keith N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
http://n4kc.blogspot.com

KATEKEBO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »

I am not proposing we get into a conversation with the guy! It's the opposite we get one cop ham to spot him and then everything else is done directly via the internet. By time we say anything to the guy it's because we have his exact address or at least the city he is located in.

From what I have seen of the ignore policy it don't seem to be working.  I heard a guy Jamming VP6 for at least 2 hours and he didn't seem to need any encouragement, but even if that was the case there are always Hams calling out every few minutes calling him names so unless you find some way to coordinate the "silent treatment" that is not going to work.

OK, so let's suppose that you actually can locate and identify the jammer.  What are you going to do about him?  Short of going yourself and shutting him down personally (which would probably land you in jail), there is very little you can do.  I can list several hams (both US-based and non-US), including their callsigns, names and addresses, who are well known to be recurrent violators of the law in their respective countries and who, in spite of being reported to the authorities numerous times, are still on the air, alive and kicking, doing their "stuff".

Some of them have been openly shamed on the Internet, which only gave them a "kick" to increase their activities and opened another forum for their rants.  Other have been banned from QRZ.com - hardly a punishment anybody would care about.  Others have their license renewal "suspended" until a hearing in front of an administrative judge, meaning that their license has not been renewed for several years, but because they applied for renewal in due time (i.e. before their old license expired), they can continue operating legally while their renewal is in limbo, and until their license is officially revoked (what can take an infinite amount of time given how the judicial system works).

As a ham operator, I have better things to do, enjoying my hobby, instead of playing a "vigilante".

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:45:43 PM by KATEKEBO » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »

That may be the case in the USA but there are Jammers in many other countries and many of those countries take RF Spectrum Violations seriously, so at least in that regard it would cut out some of them.  For the other Jammers in lets say the USA, wouldn't it be nice to hear the Jammer and then be able to say WxPIY we know it's you on the Frequency?  I bet that would shut most of them up right away. 

Anyway I have given up on this, I see that most guys don't think it's worth the bother.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 04:15:14 PM »

My dad used to say:  "Whenever I go to  a movie, there is always some idiot sitting
in front of me."

When I get on the air, there is always some idiot nearby doing what idiots always do.

It seems more idiots are produced daily.  Just ignore them as best you can.
Also note the supposed "good guys" and how they are as annoying as the idiots.
And such language!  I haven't heard the like since I left the workplace with the all
female assembly staff.

Allen
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 04:21:08 PM »

Having located the offending LID, what do you propose we do then?

1 - Inform the relevant authorities?  Seems to me that in many countries, the relevant authorities either don't have the time or money to prosecute the LID or to confiscate their equipment

2 - Beat the LID with baseball bats?  In most countries, threats of violence or use of violence will land you in Court, not the LID!

(Here in Thailand, the cost to hire a killer is only about $500 - maybe less if you are not an important LID, but I suspect the going rate in the USA is a little higher.....)

Simon
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 06:42:59 AM »

When pigs fly.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 07:49:53 AM »

Sounds like a plan.  Each of the 4 current DXpeditions to Nauru, Eastern Kiribati, Malpelo Island and Pitcairn Island I've encountered lids that the ops all pulled the plug and left.  what a bummer

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
W8ASA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 08:39:21 AM »

Yeah, but DF'ing WAS fun along the Fulda.........  Cool

Re-open the elephant cage at Augsburg for coarse df, and put a few PRDs out there. You know from my callsign I've been there and done that.
N4IAG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 10:53:59 AM »

When pigs fly.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Cheesy

Actually these pileups sound more like kindergartners at recess. Glad I have them in the book now.

Some people say "If you can't beat them, join them". I say "If you can't beat them, beat them", because they will be expecting you to join them, so you will have the element of surprise. Smiley

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »

Yeah, but DF'ing WAS fun along the Fulda.........  Cool

Re-open the elephant cage at Augsburg for coarse df, and put a few PRDs out there. You know from my callsign I've been there and done that.

Yep, perhaps we should RFP these guys also.  I was 319th in Kassel 63 - 64 Cool.  73, Gene
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 05:50:47 PM »

Let us know when you have the software working to the point when you can start looking for stations to do the DFing.
Bob
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 06:53:29 PM »

I had a QSO with VE7KFM today, using the Red Cross radio room. There were some lids trying to jam him before I contacted him. When I was through, the lids were playing music! The YL next was new to hamming, so she was puzzled they were doing this.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »

I heard a really big dose of cops vs. LIDS this afternoon, with cops handing out QSLs  Shocked to guys who just would not listen to UP. Heard it done on both SSB and CW. Someone is going to be awful dissapointed.

Mind you, I do NOT condone this. Actually, it is very much against the rules, which you all know.  But, I did get a chuckle or two when the lid came back with his signal report, etc. Cool
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 02:49:53 PM »

This would be a great thread to go along with the "Take Back .52" crowd. Organize a grass roots effort to combat a non-existent problem.

I don't know why we Hams don't do something about all the Jamming and let’s stop waiting for someone else to fix the problem. As far as I can see all that is needed is a website that can coordinate beam directions from multiple operators.

My Plan would be like this:

1) Well known Hams with good antennas from across the Globe are invited to join and their coordinates are entered into the system once they become a member along with a cell phone SMS message number or priority email address.

2) When a LID starts Jamming a few key members scattered across the globe are alerted of the Frequency.

3) The Members Log into the system and enter their beam headings for best signal on the LID.

4) The Computer software then has a general idea of the LID's location for example that he is in Europe.

5) The computer system then texts/emails Ham members in Europe to try and confirm what part of Europe the LID is in by entering their headings.

6) With those headings it should now have it down to the country and at this point it alerts member operators in that country to try and use their beams to narrow the search further.

7) At the final stage with the coordinates down to probably 50 square miles it's time to alert the closest Hams who are members of the Team to do a Fox hunt.

Look I am not saying a system like this would catch more than maybe one out of Ten, but it would let the LIDS know that the when they key down we are getting closer to locating them and that something is actively being done.

The Software needed to do this is not all that complicated, and I am pretty sure it would get a lot of eager members. My thinking is that steps 1-6 would be completed in 20 minutes of the jammers transmitting.

I don’t know, maybe I am missing something here but this seems like a plan that would work.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: