Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: utube posting  (Read 1326 times)
N4JTE

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2012, 04:07:39 PM »

I would like to record real time shack  video/ sound for some antenna experiments, Will need to edit etc. but really have no further use for an expensive camcorder at this age.
Any suggestions for something cheap for this type of application?
Tnx in advance,
Bob
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:26:54 PM »

Just use a simple camera which has a movie function (most nowdays do).
I used one (and still do) for most of my early youtube stuff, and I do my editing on the PC.
Forget about editing in the camera, its awkward and difficult.
If you can get a camera with a HD (at least 720p) resolution at 30 frames per second that would be a good start.
Youtube like to get full High Definition (1920x1080), but those cameras tend to be pretty expensive and take up a lot of SD card space quickly.

The main thing to practice is get your filming technique correct - don't do rapid pans and such, since this shows up the limitations of the camera quickly.
I use camera's which are under $100.00 and they do a good enough job for youtube, especially if you are not going to need it for other stuff.
You can always do a few test video's and see how they look on youtube, then delete them off youtube.
There is inbuilt video editing software built into many versions of windows these days, so you could use that, although I use some commercial software I paid for (more than the camera!).

Good luck, and just plunge in with what you have, even modern cellphones can take some reasonable video, so give some prototype video a try first and you will soon see what works.

73s
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:18:50 AM »

No one can intelligently answer you until we know what OS you are using (Mac or Windows - and what version). Also, do you already have a camera on your system? And which one?

One basic rule: make the audio as good as your budget allows. Your audience can forgive less-than-HD-quality video IF the audio sounds great.

Come back with what you are currently using, and we can properly answer you!

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 03:13:56 PM »

Stay vertical, good advice, will persue that angle, OS is windows 7 pro 64 bit.
Never ventured into the youtube void but trying to do it correctly.
Tnx for the help,
Bob
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »

Although recently discontinued, the Flip series of HD handheld cameras can get you into the world of HD video - but unless you also purchase an audio adapter for the later models, you have no MIC IN to improve the audio.

Logitech offers several well-reviewed Web cams - and the top of the line has very good audio.

Purchase - and use - a tripod. You do not want to cause folks to vomit on their keyboards from motion sickness with unnecessary handheld shots.

I found a great deal of good information at this site ...

http://www.handheldhollywood.com/

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:39:48 PM »

If you're using a laptop, most of them have built-in web-cams and audio cards, and MacBooks have some of the best editing software going. Big Lots and Walgreen's stores around here also sell inexpensive video cameras in the under-$100 price range, with quality being what you pay for. GL with your project.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: