Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What percentage of people in your town are hams?  (Read 8740 times)
KC2TRX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »

If the numbers posted above are reasonably accurate, it strikes me as odd that Los Angeles should have approximately six times as many hams as New York, with comparable populations. What is it that makes for such a difference in interest in ham radio?  Antenna restrictions have been mentioned, but that doesn't seem sufficient to account for the difference.  Cultural reasons?   
  Perhaps a demographer or actuary would have an explanation. 
         - KC2TRX
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »

Fortunately for me, my "village" has only one zip code and doesn't share it.  Easy calculations. Smiley

Our relatively high proportion of ham ops came in handy this weekend when someone cut a fiber optic line down off the mountain.  Our whole village had no internet, no landline, and no cell service for about 14 hours.  Hams dispatched themselves to the nearby ski resort, the fire station, and a few other spots.  I was able to learn about Verizon's progress in fixing the fiber line via 2m repeater.  A couple of emergency calls from the ski resort were routed to the fire station via hams on repeaters, too.  A perfect example of ham radio's importance in small, isolated communities.

As far as the difference between LA and NYC goes, I'm from LA, but don't know a lot about NYC.  My impression is that more people in NYC live in apartments.  In LA, most people have houses with yards, and there aren't actually too many antenna restrictions in LA.

I'm interested in percentages, not raw numbers.  So far, doesn't look like any town has more than the 3% that mine has...??
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »

ACTIVE HAMS(most every day users)totals about 6 in the whole county(Baker County,Fla).The FCC list of actual hams in the county is OFF really bad since it still list at least 4 whom are SK & some hams live here that I know who have moved here but never did a change of address & are NOT active.Really only about 18 TOTAL hams that I'm aware of.One or two of the others get on the air maybe once or twice a month.Don't know why anyone would take the time too study & get a ticket if they were NOT going too ENJOY the hobby?  Huh

Clayton
W4KVW
KK0G

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 08:15:46 AM »

The 2009 census shows East Peru's population at 153, so two hams in town (me and my wife) makes 1.308%.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »

Yes, in QRZed's search box, enter "county: your county, your state" with state being the two letter postal abbreviation. It will return a nice listing for you.

Frank
K4FMH

Right in my town of Moorhead (Pop. about 31,000) we have 79licensed hams.  Across the river in Fargo, ND (Pop about 91,000) there are 246 licensed hams.  We also have smaller local town with 10-20 miles that all have hams.

Hawley, MN pop. about 2000 - 10 licensed
Dilworth, MN 3700 - 12 licensed
West Fargo, ND 15000 - 59 licensed

Is there a way to search by county?  I could get much better data :-)

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: