Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur radio is only for rich people  (Read 21623 times)
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2012, 07:03:45 PM »

Remarks like this are usually followed by the  political hacks  sly imposition of some kind of tax to "help out" the have nots, in return for votes.   
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2012, 07:02:51 AM »

Remarks like this are usually followed by the  political hacks  sly imposition of some kind of tax to "help out" the have nots, in return for votes.   
Too often the exact opposite occurs. Political hacks impose some kind of tax break or shelter to help out the haves in return for campaign financing (note how much it costs to run for office). 
Corporate welfare is alive and well. The suggestion that the poor are given too many handouts is sly political cover.  Note that the Reagan campaign's 'welfare queen' was a false creation of political hacks. 

Mark Twain put it best: "A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is still putting its boots on" (and that wonderful quip predates talk radio, television or the internet)
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »

'Amateur radio is only for rich people'.

Why do you say that? It is how much you spend that could make it an expensive hobby.
A Kenwood TS-830 to a TS-450 can be bought for $400 to $500 in excellent condition. Another $50 for coax and $50 for some wire and you are on the air.
Most ham shacks were built over the years. So the money for a $5000+ set up was spread out over time.
WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2012, 08:47:19 PM »

Note that the Reagan campaign's 'welfare queen' was a false creation of political hacks. 

It may have been words too hard for some to swallow, but it was accurate and very provable.

dave Wink

First, make it work, then make it pretty.
Yaesu Rigs: Kenwood TS-480HX, FT-8900R, FTM-350AR (Bluetooth motorcycle mobile), VX-8DR, SB-102 boat anchor (built one as a kid)

Moderate Spock: "Live for a reasonable amount of time and scrape by."
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2012, 07:26:57 AM »

I'M RICH WOOOHOOOO!!!

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2012, 09:02:22 AM »

Note that the Reagan campaign's 'welfare queen' was a false creation of political hacks. 

It may have been words too hard for some to swallow, but it was accurate and very provable.

Actually it was inaccurate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_queen

More important, no matter what programs are put in place, there will be folks who figure out how to game the system and scam the provider. That does not mean all who use the system are corrupt. Look at corporate welfare....

73 de Jim, N2EY
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2012, 04:05:59 PM »

Personally, I'm not unsympathetic to the plight of the poor and believe in social protections.
I suppose in another way Capitalism is a form of Darwinism. It is survival of the fittest through natural selection. This aspect of Capitalism has always sat uncomfortably with me as I believe a truly civilized society can only be measured by how well it treats its weak and most vulnerable.

Fred EI4GMB
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:11:53 PM by EI4GMB » Logged

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
KE5JDJ

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2012, 05:53:55 PM »

<snip>
The fear of Marxism is always stirred up by super rich capitalists when they are afraid they might be asked to return some of their money into the communities from which their wealth is extracted. 
<snip>

Bull.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British prime-minister (1759-1806)
WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2012, 11:14:39 PM »

Wikipedia? Really?? I don't trust any 'encyclopedia' where Leftist run loose and alter the truth to fit their 'by any means necessary' agenda. Got a credible source?

What's there to prove here? It's established fact that no matter what the name at that time, fraud was abundant. It wasn't until Newt and a Conservative Congress created the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act, a Conservative effort as part of the Contract With American, that welfare was wrestled under control.

The Welfare Queens of today are the taxpayer monies that were given to unions, Leftist pressure groups and highly suspected fraudulent 'green energy' scams. If it's also Wall Street, then you need to speaker to The Chairman at the White House about that one.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:29:49 PM by WB4LCN » Logged

Yaesu Rigs: Kenwood TS-480HX, FT-8900R, FTM-350AR (Bluetooth motorcycle mobile), VX-8DR, SB-102 boat anchor (built one as a kid)

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2012, 03:39:16 AM »

Wikipedia? Really?? I don't trust any 'encyclopedia' where Leftist run loose and alter the truth to fit their 'by any means necessary' agenda. Got a credible source?

Anybody can write stuff on wikipedia. What is your credible source?

What's there to prove here? It's established fact that no matter what the name at that time, fraud was abundant.
What you're doing is called "presuming your conclusion". If the "welfare queen" story is real, it should be easy to name names, fix dates, etc..

But you can't.

73 de jim, N2EY

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2012, 04:51:04 AM »

Personally, I'm not unsympathetic to the plight of the poor and believe in social protections.

Same here.

I suppose in another way Capitalism is a form of Darwinism. It is survival of the fittest through natural selection.

Except that the selection is not "natural".

Without controls, there is a clear tendency for those at the top to exploit those below. Just look at the Gilded Age. Or slavery in the USA. (were the masters "fitter" than the slaves?)

With too many controls, the system is stifled and breaks down.

What's needed are checks and balances. Enough controls to insure fairness, justice and stability. Anybody who understands basic control theory knows this, but politicians are rarely engineers.

http://www.wimp.com/lawyerscongress/

This aspect of Capitalism has always sat uncomfortably with me as I believe a truly civilized society can only be measured by how well it treats its weak and most vulnerable.

Exactly! But a civilization that works well for all is complex. It doesn't operate on buzzphrases and sound bites.

Guess who wrote this:

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed.
Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."

Some Marxist, right?

73 de Jim, N2EY
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 04:56:50 AM by N2EY » Logged
WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2012, 08:10:34 AM »

Who cares! Before this thread, I had heard the term occasionally - possibly two or three times in two or three decades. It was always the Left attributing it to Reagan. Big deal. You make it sound like every Conservative wakes up - with hate in their heart for all minorities, and looks for opportunities to use the term at least 10 times a day. How silly. It's the Left that thinks about all things in 'racial' terms. It's the Left that has codified the tactic of 'ridicule' with fallacious arguments in Saul Alinsky's booklet, RULES FOR RADICALS.

I'm saying, is it concern for 'the poor' that requires you to tear down the whole system for a minority (in numbers)? That is foolish and THAT is Marxism. Wherever it's been tried, it's result is death, laziness, poverty, black markets, power hungry elites, cronyism, etc- all because of the unobtainable ideal of a Utopian society - which must destroy what exists to survive with it's pathetic fantasy. Human nature requires freedom, not a phoney and forced allegiance to 'the collective'.

The most endangered minority on Earth is, THE INDIVIDUAL.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:23:45 AM by WB4LCN » Logged

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2012, 09:40:31 AM »

Who cares! Before this thread, I had heard the term occasionally - possibly two or three times in two or three decades. It was always the Left attributing it to Reagan. Big deal. You make it sound like every Conservative wakes up - with hate in their heart for all minorities, and looks for opportunities to use the term at least 10 times a day. How silly. It's the Left that thinks about all things in 'racial' terms. It's the Left that has codified the tactic of 'ridicule' with fallacious arguments in Saul Alinsky's booklet, RULES FOR RADICALS.

I'm saying, is it concern for 'the poor' that requires you to tear down the whole system for a minority (in numbers)? That is foolish and THAT is Marxism. Wherever it's been tried, it's result is death, laziness, poverty, black markets, power hungry elites, cronyism, etc- all because of the unobtainable ideal of a Utopian society - which must destroy what exists to survive with it's pathetic fantasy. Human nature requires freedom, not a phoney and forced allegiance to 'the collective'.

The most endangered minority on Earth is, THE INDIVIDUAL.
   The poor will always be the majority. When they use their power to acquire wealth, they will no longer be poor, and the rich will no longer be wealthy.
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2012, 01:33:38 PM »

The poor will always be the majority. When they use their power to acquire wealth, they will no longer be poor, and the rich will no longer be wealthy.

I am not swayed by the class war argument either. There are many wealthy Americans contributing millions of dollars to charities and other good causes both in the U.S and abroad. It is not simply a case of exploitation .The private sector is providing jobs and livelihoods for people and middle class taxpayers are paying for a social welfare system that helps the poor. As someone who has worked for an american company for many years I have a deep interest in what goes on in the U.S . Indeed, what goes on there has repercussions for the rest of the free world. Politically, I think the future of american governance lies more closely in bi-partisanship. Moreover, Americans are evenly divided about how to solve the problems there and I think compromise is needed. Hopefully you guys can turn the economic corner soon. I sure hope so and I wish you the best of luck in that regard
For now I feel I have said all I can reasonably say on this thread. I will now leave it to others, perhaps more deserving Americans, to give their 2 cents worth. Take care.

Kind Regards

Fred EI4GMB

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
WB4LCN

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2012, 07:48:22 AM »

Where the poor ARE the majority, sure, those are usually countries where a 'strongman' has a grip - not 'the rich' of some other land. Isn't that what America has been helping to change - instead of calling America 'the policeman of the world'? Leftist try to have it both ways. That is a wholly different situation than in America, where to poor are a minority.

You don't lift up the poor by bringing down those who have means.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: