Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oscilloscope School  (Read 5462 times)
NJ2X

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2012, 07:19:59 AM »

Hello Hams,

I recently found a really excellent video all about the oscilloscope, called "Oscilloscope School" by the NJARC.

http://www.nj2x.com/2012/01/oscilloscope-school.html

Michael
NJ2X

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:40:27 PM by NJ2X » Logged

Michael
NJ2X
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:50:42 AM »

2X:  Many thanks for this link.  I'm one who will check it out shortly.  Because of age, shortterm memory and learning disability, I need all the help I can get to understand and use my fairly new scope.

Actually, I can use the scope quite well but I'm still having problems understanding and remembering how to calculate the frequencies I'm looking at.

W2AEW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 05:53:57 PM »

Hello Hams,

I recently found a really excellent video all about the oscilloscope, called "Oscilloscope School" by the NJARC.

http://www.nj2x.com/2012/01/oscilloscope-school.html

Hey - thanks for posting that!  I was the instructor for that class.  I did the 2nd part of the talk (which lasted about 2 hours).  Note that I have a few dozen shorter videos on my YouTube channel that also deal with more focused oscilloscope topics, as well as other topics like homebrew circuits, ham radio, spectrum analysis, etc.  My channel can be found at:
http://www.youtube.com/w2aew

73, Alan W2AEW

------------------------------------------------------
My YouTube channel...
...ham radio, basic electronics tutorials, etc.
NJ2X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 06:32:04 PM »

Alan,

Thanks for the great educational program.  Thoroughly enjoyed it myself and I know others will benefit as well.  Looking forward to checking out your other videos.  Will you be running another oscilloscope school in 2012?  I live in NJ and would definately be interested in attending.

Michael
NJ2X

Michael
NJ2X
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 07:39:21 PM »

2X:  Many thanks for this link.  I'm one who will check it out shortly.  Because of age, shortterm memory and learning disability, I need all the help I can get to understand and use my fairly new scope.

Actually, I can use the scope quite well but I'm still having problems understanding and remembering how to calculate the frequencies I'm looking at.

Just remember that frequency is the inverse of time. F= 1/T & T=1/F
read 1 full cycle on the scope and see the time it takes (be sure to check which time scale setting on the knob)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 09:20:43 PM »

DEY: Thank you for that..... I have that written down on a card next to the scope.  I have a major problem remembering that formula for some reason.

Question:  How is the accuracy of calculating frequency this way compared to a frequency counter?  I think I need a frequency counter!!
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 10:46:46 PM »

DEY: Thank you for that..... I have that written down on a card next to the scope.  I have a major problem remembering that formula for some reason.

Question:  How is the accuracy of calculating frequency this way compared to a frequency counter?  I think I need a frequency counter!!
Depends on how close the scope is calibrated +/- human error. A well calibrated scope is probably close enough for Gubmint work BUT if your really picky you could probably parallel the 2 and compare readings.
W2AEW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »

Alan,

Thanks for the great educational program.  Thoroughly enjoyed it myself and I know others will benefit as well.  Looking forward to checking out your other videos.  Will you be running another oscilloscope school in 2012?  I live in NJ and would definately be interested in attending.

If I'm asked to do it again by the NJARC, I certainly will.  I may do a shorter version for one of the local clubs too.  I see that you're real close to me - only a few miles away.

My YouTube channel...
NA7U

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 08:34:05 PM »

Thanks Michael, just bookmarked that one!

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 07:42:02 AM »

W2AEW:  Alan, I bookmarked your link a few days ago.  Went to the "Favorites", pulled it up and spent some very enjoyable time last night (Until 0100h) looking at your "bite size" videos. 

Alan, speaking as a 76 year old man who has been involved in electronics for 55 years and have read a ton of books on electronics, I must tell you that your videos are the best I've ever seen!

Each step is concise, without any hesitation in what you are saying and very easy to understand, even for a guy like with who has a learning disability.

What's more and almost as important, your voice is perfect for my nearly deaf ears.  No doubt I'll be going back to your videos on YouTube many times.  Thank you for your help Alan.  Fantastic job!!

Al
W2AEW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »

W2AEW:  Alan, I bookmarked your link a few days ago.  Went to the "Favorites", pulled it up and spent some very enjoyable time last night (Until 0100h) looking at your "bite size" videos. 

Alan, speaking as a 76 year old man who has been involved in electronics for 55 years and have read a ton of books on electronics, I must tell you that your videos are the best I've ever seen!

Each step is concise, without any hesitation in what you are saying and very easy to understand, even for a guy like with who has a learning disability.

What's more and almost as important, your voice is perfect for my nearly deaf ears.  No doubt I'll be going back to your videos on YouTube many times.  Thank you for your help Alan.  Fantastic job!!

Al

Al - Thank You very much for those kind words!  I enjoy doing these videos, and I'm very happy to know that people are enjoying them and getting something out of them.  It's hard to believe that I've got over 700 subscribers to my channel, and well over 90,000 views of my videos - wow!  If you have any suggestions for video topics that you'd like to see, please let me know!
Alan W2AEW

My YouTube channel...
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »

Alan: I can believe the number of "hits" you're getting for your videos.  I watch YouTube videos on whatever I'm interested in... rather it is woodworking or metal work.... or whatever. 

Your's is no doubt the best Alan.  Now you've given me a slight headache trying to think of a subject that you can cover that you haven't already covered.  Grin

Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: