Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JX about to become a LOT harder  (Read 4336 times)
W2IRT

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:56:06 AM »

Like many other rare entities, the "nature preserve" nonsense has just hit Jan Mayen. Bottom line: If you don't already have them in the log they're about to go from rare to ultra-rare.

From today's OPDX bulletin:
JX, JAN MAYEN (Limited future activity!). The "DX-World.net" reports:
"Recently the Norwegian government declared most of Jan Mayen a Nature Reserve and banned landings and camping on most of the island. This means that tour operators can no longer visit since the main landing area is part of the Reserve. The only places left on the island which could be used as landing and camp sites are in Kvalross-bukta and in Båtvika, in the very extreme (weather-wise) southern part of Jan Mayen. This will mean that most visits to the north part of the island (where previous landings occurred) will soon be impossible. Whilst radio amateur operations may still be possible from these two locations, which are difficult to get to (rough landing, very strong winds with sand storms, no access to any shelters or resources etc), it now appears JX5O was probably the last major expedition to Jan Mayen and may well be for the coming years.

It also seems that only professional, licensed staff members at the Olonkin base will be able to activate the island, with that in itself a rare occurrence." However, Svein, LA9JKA, is expected to be based on the island beginning March 22nd, and is expected to stay until March 2013.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 10:04:17 AM »

Well, glad I have em confirmed, albeit only ONE QSO from 2008 on phone.   Gene AF3Y
W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 02:40:35 PM »

Expect to see more of this. This has been a trend over the years; places that formerly required permission to land that was granted without extensive review (e.g.,KP1, KP5 ) are now virtually off-limits. You can add ZL9, ZS8, KH3, etc. to this list

Besides the oft-quoted environmental issues, it's probably a question of perceived security issues and/or liability. Additionally, governmental resources have to diverted to supervise DXpeditions and ham radio is not high on the priorities of governments.

I wish it were otherwise.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »

One of my DX elmers told me that the biggest impediment for me "working them all" would be more environmental politics more than anything else.

I think he was right.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 03:06:48 PM »

Tree hugging nonsense....I am glad that I worked JX5O, only twice though, as condition this summer sucked......Maybe Svein can give us some qsos as well, but that remains to be seen.  Why do you think I was all gung ho over JX?....Its because you never know when things like this are going to happen.....by the by, Geno...who did you work back in 08???....

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:09:38 PM by KA3NRX » Logged
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 03:16:54 PM »

Maybe Svein can give us some qsos as well, but that remains to be seen. 

V
KA3NRX

Worked Svein, JX9JKA, from the mobile in Aug '08 on 17m when conditions were a bit worse than now, so who ever missed JX5O or needs JX should have a chance.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 03:27:39 PM »

I was very fortunate last year. I managed to bang off JX5O on 4 bands/3 modes, plus I'd worked JX/G7VGR on 2008 on 30m, for a fifth band. I was hoping to get 'em on 10 and 12 while condx are good but it looks like that's a pipe dream now.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 03:36:28 PM »

Tree hugging nonsense....I am glad that I worked JX5O, only twice though, as condition this summer sucked......Maybe Svein can give us some qsos as well, but that remains to be seen.  Why do you think I was all gung ho over JX?....Its because you never know when things like this are going to happen.....by the by, Geno...who did you work back in 08???....

V
KA3NRX

JX9JKA on 20 Meter Phone...... 15 August 2008.  I did not really give JX5O much attention.  Sad
W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 04:04:01 PM »

I was at a DX forum some years back and a number of prominent DXpeditioners were in front answering questions. Someone asked what was the single biggest impediment to putting a spot on the air. They all stated that while money (all DXpeditions) and transportation issues (think Bouvet, Heard, etc.) were right up there, the most difficult and intractable issue was getting a license (P5, 7O, etc.).
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 06:49:58 AM »

I was very fortunate last year. I managed to bang off JX5O on 4 bands/3 modes, plus I'd worked JX/G7VGR on 2008 on 30m, for a fifth band. I was hoping to get 'em on 10 and 12 while condx are good but it looks like that's a pipe dream now.

I got JX5O also on a few bands/modes. It sounds like their QSL's might be going out this month according to their site. The preview of the card looks pretty nice!
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 08:02:54 AM »

Tree hugging nonsense..

I find it astonishing that your desire for rare DX contacts seems to trump environmental concerns.  Believe me, your attitude is not shared by the vast majority of DXpeditioners who travel to the remote and rare places.  A couple of years ago, I spent two weeks north of the Arctic circle on a rafting expedition, and came a way with an appreciation of just how fragile the Arctic is, especially given recent dramatic climate changes.

I'm a proud member of both my local DX club and the Sierra Club.

Chuck  NI0C
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 08:14:02 AM »

Vince, I gotta agree with Chuck on this one. Having grown up in a rural, beautiful area of South Carolina, I go back now and look at trash like old tires and beer cans in streams that I used to catch fish in as a child, it really makes me sick. These waterways are incapable of sustaining fish any longer. (That was done in less than 50 years...)

We only have one planet. You and I wont be here to see it, but if we keep on "keeping on", someday our descendants will have to go to a park, or worse yet to a museum, to even see a tree. Very sad. 73, Gene
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 08:16:38 AM »

I consider myself fortunate to have worked JX5O last summer. My only contact on 20 meter SSB, but it was enough to add it for the mixed list. Hopefully they will be able to activate it again someday, but I won't hold my breath.

John K7KB
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 09:00:55 AM »

Tree hugging nonsense..
I'm a proud member of both my local DX club and the Sierra Club.
Chuck  NI0C

I think its possible to "tread lightly" - as proven by the K5D team on Desecheo. As a back packer, I "tread lightly" and "leave no trace" up in the Sierra's - very much a mantra of the Sierra Club. It takes only being aware and conscious to do this. Its a simple matter of "respect". In fact, I think the KP1-5 Project is the model to follow . . . .

People like John Muir encouraged people to go out and experience the wilderness, he just didn't want amusement parks being set up in places like Yosemite - hi hi.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 10:52:45 AM »

Gentlemen. I see I have struck a few nerves with the Sierra Club crowd. I ask you this. Has any dxpedition wantonly and willfully destroyed any area deemed a "natural resources" or "nature reserve" while operating???"  You guys can believe what you want, but this is just plain overbearing silliness brought on by certain types of governments wielding a heavy hand.  How would you guys like it if the wizards of smart (that some of you I am sure voted for) in Washington declared Navassa off limits because we have to "Preserve the island for the blue footed boobie."  Due to "environmental concerns?"  My inclination is you would all be screaming bloody murder (especially those of you who are in desperate need of working KP1).  What happened to acting on one's free will to operate from these locations without causing a problem? By taking the so-called concerns and using common sense to preserve these places while still operating from there?  Like what KY6R suggested, "tread lightly." I am sorry, guys, but it's lobby organizations like the Sierra Club and certain political beliefs (which I will NOT get into) lobbying for more and more onerous rules that are going to spoil things for those of us who don't have an already rare entity like JX in the book. You guys can hug your trees all you want, but the truth of the matter is this is over zealous silliness. That is my view and I am sticking to it. And if a tree or a polar bear hugs you back, get that on film.  I want to see what happens...... Roll Eyes Shocked Grin Wink......

V
KA3NRX

P.S.Go to a museum to see at tree???......Now I have heard it all......and as for this: “and came a way with an appreciation of just how fragile the Arctic is, especially given recent dramatic climate changes.”   Spare me the guilt trip, Chuck…I am immune….  Shocked...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:09:37 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: