Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: connect Alpha 87A to FT-2000  (Read 730 times)
N4WVE

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2012, 10:11:44 AM »

I have just purchased an Alpha 87A from RF Concepts, and the manual suggests NOT using the ALC connection to the rig. It DOES say, however, that setting the RF power out is not enough. Is the ALC setting they are speaking of here the mic gain setting? If I set my RF out to 50 watts, why would I have to do anything to the mic gain? It appears the only connections needed from my FT-2000 to the 87A would be the RF in cable then out to the antenna...is this correct?  Huh

Greg N4WVE

Greg N4WVE
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 12:16:09 PM »

Your connections is the RF cable from the XCVR RF out to the amplifier input.

The output key line in the transceiver to the key input to the amplifier.

Set the Power Level in the transceiver so as not to overdrive the amplifier (about 40 watts).

Mic gain is for setting up audio level in the XCVR. Your mic gain should be set up for over 40 dB dynamic range with you close talking the microphone.

Dynamic range is the ratio between peak power and quiescent power (not talking).

Example:

1500 watts (peak)/ .020 watts (quiescent) is 75000. The log of 75000 is 4.87. 4.87 times 10 is 48.7 dB

Average dynamic range is 20 dB.
Good dynamic range is 30 dB
Excellent dynamic range is over 40 dB.

Under controlled conditions with the proper equipment you migh obtain 50 dB of dynamic range but this would necessitate a studio condition.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 12:24:17 PM »

I have an 87 a and I do seem to think you need the coax in and out and also a rly connection to key the amp ( usuall a cable with rca plugs on both ends.  I personally never use an alc line on any amp I use, as I want to control the output, not some computer chip.  I love my alpha, i has so much built in protection, it should be impossible even for me to screw up.  tom N6AJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: