Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-480 MARS Mod  (Read 10969 times)
W4OEQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »

Good suggestion.  Had not considered that point.  Will check it out.  73,  Tom
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »

I think what W8JX was suggesting is that the 6m output may be going to the other antenna port.
The settings may have changed if you reset the rig.

Correct.  Also you want to use FSK mode and key to check output it as it will always produce rated output into a correct load.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AD1DX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 02:57:37 AM »

It is my observation (a reality that some of us will never admit to), that most MARS modes are really attempts to modify said transceivers to operate on 11 meters. The question is why! I suspect Vince is correct. I can't speak for the poster, but this question has a bit of an odor about it.

I had to modify my IC-706 so that it would transmit om 60 meters-no desire to operate on 11 meters here!

Ceasar

W4OEQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 11:17:40 AM »

Problem solved.  There were two issues.  (1) Resetting the transceiver somehow forced the output on 6 meters to the coax two connector.  (2) More importantly, the owner had installed a TVI filter among the various cable lengths on the route to the antenna.  The filter had a cut-off frequency below 6 meters.  Removed the filter and connected the antenna to coax two position and the rig works perfectly on 6 meters.  Thanks for all of the suggestions.  73,  Tom, W4OEQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 02:57:52 PM »

Resetting the transceiver somehow forced the output on 6 meters to the coax two connector. 

Default for 6m is antenna connector 2. It is easily overridden.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WE5ST

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 02:46:18 PM »

Just completed the MARS mod for my TS480HX - actually for MARS. Two things that others have commented on - six meter problem after the mod and de-soldering the resistor.

I removed the resistor with small a diagonal cutter. One clip and it popped out. Just be sure to clean up any "debris" left on the board.

I did not see any problem transmitting on six meters after the modification but did not have a station to check with. I just tried transmitting and it seemed to work.
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 09:06:51 PM »

To get six meters back, try putting the resistor back in.  If this works, you need to research the mod a bit more.

If it still doesn't work on six, you need to figure what else you did to the radio.

TIP: Look for small, tiny, teensy solder filaments left from removing the resistor.  Had a friend that had this happen on a 706.  Only caught them with a magnifier.

...bill nr4c
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 04:54:14 PM »

What is meant by the term "reset the VFO?"   Tnx, Tom

You turn the VFO knob back to it's 12' o'clock position.

Should be kind of like finding the top of a golf ball...

Grin
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:04:02 PM by KC8VWM » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: