Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duplexer mounted under the hood?  (Read 1271 times)
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:10:48 PM »

This is a stupid question.. (Heck I may as well be infamous for something! lol) Has anyone ever mounted a Duplexer under the hood in the engine compartment?
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:38:51 PM »

By "duplexer" I assume you mean the little box that enables one to use a multi-band rig that has only one antenna connector on two (or more) different antennas.

As in most any electrical equipment, HEAT and WATER are your enemies.  The area under the hood of a typical vehicle with the engine in front is a VERY HOT and often WET environment.

If space is an issue try to mount it inside the cab of the vehicle, on the firewall under the dash, or in the glove box, or under a seat, or in the trunk..  

I recommend that you mount it under the hood only as a VERY LAST RESORT.  If that is what you have to do, then locate it as far away from any heat producing objects as possible (very hard to do), wrap it in insulation with heat reflective foil on the outside, and water proof the unit and the connectors.

If mounted under the hood, it may work for a while; it may work for a very long time; and it may fail (and take out your rig) in short order.

Dick  AD4U
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »

Stupidness of the question confirmed! Thanks for the quick reply.. that was my gut feeling.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 04:07:35 PM »

If you meant diplexer, maybe not. A diplexer is a device which has three ports. One is both VHF and UHF, and the other two, one of each for VHF and UHF. It can be used both ways. Two antennas driven by one transceiver port, or two transceiver ports driving one antenna. Versions are available which cover three, and even four bands. So, the question remains, which one are you speaking of?Huh

KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:01:47 AM »

Alan,

It's a COMET CF-360B. Let me Google that for you:  http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=6&childID=0 I understand the controversy with the use of the word and the difference between du and di. The manufacturer calls it a duplexer so that is the term I used as well.

Seeing that most people do not build a full fledged repeater as part of their mobile rig, common sense would be that, in this context, we would be talking about the kind of device that takes the output of the radio and sends certain bands to one antenna and other bands to the other antenna, in this case 70cm/2m/6m to one antenna and 10m/HF to a second antenna.

I'm going to put it inside the Jeep because it really is the right way to do it even if it involves more work. Under the hood would have been more convenient short term, but would be one more thing to worry about down the road.

I appreciate the information on your website BTW

Dave

If you meant diplexer, maybe not. A diplexer is a device which has three ports. One is both VHF and UHF, and the other two, one of each for VHF and UHF. It can be used both ways. Two antennas driven by one transceiver port, or two transceiver ports driving one antenna. Versions are available which cover three, and even four bands. So, the question remains, which one are you speaking of?Huh
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:26:21 AM »

They call it a duplexer, but that's not what it really is. A duplexer in amateur parlance, is a device used to allow duplex operation (simultaneous transmit and receive) over one antenna. They're used in repeaters for this very reason.

The common-speak for the device in question is diplexer. As I stated before, it just allows combining of antennas and/or ports. As long as the device is weatherproof, I don't think it makes much difference where you mount it. This said, the few I've seen are neither weather or water proof.

KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:37:31 AM »

I understand the difference. Tell Comet..  Grin

They call it a duplexer, but that's not what it really is. A duplexer in amateur parlance, is a device used to allow duplex operation (simultaneous transmit and receive) over one antenna. They're used in repeaters for this very reason.

The common-speak for the device in question is diplexer. As I stated before, it just allows combining of antennas and/or ports. As long as the device is weatherproof, I don't think it makes much difference where you mount it. This said, the few I've seen are neither weather or water proof.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: