Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 meter mobile vs. Handheld  (Read 1574 times)
KA3TLM

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2012, 04:06:49 PM »

I have been away from Ham Radio for a while and I am wanting to get my whole family involved.  I do not have much knowledge of 2 meter handhelds and/or mobile radios.  Can either of these be used for local communication ie cell phone replacement?  I do not talk much on the cell phone so I am not expecting to talk much on the ham radio either.  Are the handhelds good for keeping in touch with the family throughout the day?

Thanks!
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 04:09:50 PM »

There are so many questions unanswered, than no one can give you a definite answer!

Antennas matter, distance matter, repeater uses or not matters, and so on. As a result, without knowing more than you have given, no one can really give you a defined answer.

K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 05:06:40 PM »

Are the handhelds good for keeping in touch with the family throughout the day?
I think it is rather impractical compared to a cell phone for a variety of reasons.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 05:08:04 PM »

To answer your first question; mobile radios will perform better than handhelds for mobile and or base use.  Wink

To answer your second question; all of the family members that use the radio must have a ham license or be third party communicators with a licensed control operator present. If you try to use a ham repeater for frequent personal communications the owner and other users will most likely not be happy!  Angry

However, with the above comments in mind, casual family communication between hams is usually welcome and interesting for other hams to listen to.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:13:29 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:23:59 AM »

>> ... 2 meter handhelds and/or mobile radios.  Can either of these be used for local communication ie cell phone replacement? 

No one here can intelligently reply unless we know WHERE you are on the planet - and what is occurring on 2M (why not include 440? Why not include 220?) in YOUR region.

>> ... Are the handhelds good for keeping in touch with the family throughout the day?

Again, we have no idea what is happening in YOUR region. For me in Southern CA, I have literally SCORES of repeaters I can hit with 4 or 5W and a handheld radio. But in some parts of the country, 5W will not cut it.

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: