Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Illinois Proposes Outlawing Mobile Ham Radio Use  (Read 3791 times)
K6LCS

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »

The Illinois legislature currently has two bills in the works that will outlaw the use of amateur radio in a car (unless using Bluetooth or other wireless setup). HB3970 and HB3972 are in the works ...

Rep. Karen May is the sponsor of 3970 ...

http://www.ilga.gov/house/Rep.asp?MemberID=1610

She needs to be educated.

3970 is currently in the Rules Committee ...

http://www.ilga.gov/house/committees/members.asp?committeeID=900

Reps. Amico and Harris submitted 3972 ... they, too, need to be educated ...

http://www.ilga.gov/house/Rep.asp?MemberID=1708

http://www.ilga.gov/house/Rep.asp?MemberID=1794

3972 is in the Traffic & Safety committee - and all nine committee members need to be educated ...

http://www.ilga.gov/house/committees/members.asp?committeeID=970

And while you Illinois registered voters are at it, please CC all your communications to your local elected officials, as well as the ARRL section manager.

Good luck, Illinois. The nation is watching - and hope to learn by your logical, methodical, intelligent counter-attack to this proposed legislation.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:38:00 PM by K6LCS » Logged

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:35:32 PM »

That's already been done in Nevada

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:48:05 PM »

LOL,   While Operating a Motor Vehicle!!

I'm all for it!! It's not about Ham Radio, it's about public safety! Cell Phone use I hope will be banned in every state while OPERATING a motor vehicle. When you are driving, you pay attention to the road, not a cell phone, not a ham radio. If you need to use one of these devices, pull over into a rest stop, or park your car.

Many states accross the country are considering these kind of laws..gee, I wonder why? 
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:18:46 AM »

I agree with this.  Let's consider the number of empty repeaters, and the general lack of topics so urgent that you need to be driving and messing with a radio. 

There are few people to talk to.  There are few reasons to talk and drive. 

Storm spotters like myself do so from a parked car.  Occasionally, we will transmit from a moving car, but usually there is something ugly in our rearview and people need to know about it. 

Better to be safe.  Traffic safety engineers have demonstrated persuasively that cell phones are distracting even when using a handsfree set up.  Can't believe that a hand mike is any less distracting.

If I have some urgent traffic that has to be handled from a moving car, I will take the ticket, go to court, and explain to the judge that the tornado that I was reporting was heading to his grand kids house.  I don't anticipate much trouble from such  a restriction. 

AK4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »

How about truckers and their CBs? Business class dispatch radios? Of course, many times those are stationary when used.. but not always. Hmm.. Taxis?

What about police? On the way into work this morning, I was behind a police car for a while. She was on the phone the whole time. Luckily, she didn't get a radio call because I don't know how she would have pulled over with one hand on the phone and one on the radio.

Or.. are police specially trained and qualified to use a cell phone and/or radio while driving?

I wonder if pilots should have a similar law? Might be harder for them to pull over.

And speaking of pulling over, as a biker, I'm way more afraid of people pulling in and out of traffic to make calls than I am of people on the phone. Sure, it ticks me off when they're on the phone. But you're talking about trading in one can of worms for another. (And, man, I sure don't want truckers having to pull in and out of traffic all the time.)

You can't legislate responsibility. Passing laws won't stop inconsiderate, self-absorbed and rude people. You need to get them off the streets. If you want to reduce accidents, promote telecommuting and/or public transportation. You'll help the environment too.

Like I said, I ride a bike. With no radio. (Nor do I live in Illinois). So this ruling wouldn't impact me in any way. My only dog in the fight is liberty.

Chris
AK4KZ
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 10:10:22 AM »

Hey! Why not?  This is why Illinois is referred to as "The Peoples Republic of Illinois!" 

If you think this is bad or ridiculous, try buying a gun or even ammunition!  Concealed carry?  Forget that Charlie!
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 07:46:33 AM »

If I read this bill correctly, ham/cb radios are exempt:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=3970&GAID=11&SessionID=84&LegID=62834
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=062500050K12-610.2

...Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Provides that a person may not operate a motor vehicle on a roadway while using an electronic communication device (rather than only prohibiting the composing, sending, or reading of electronic messages while operating a vehicle) unless the electronic communication device is used in hands-free or voice-activated mode or one of 5 other limited exceptions apply...

and

"Electronic communication device" means an electronic device, including but not limited to a wireless telephone, personal digital assistant, or a portable or mobile computer while being used for the purpose of composing, reading, or sending an electronic message, but does not include a global positioning system or navigation system or a device that is physically or electronically integrated into the motor vehicle.
    "Electronic message" means a self-contained piece of digital communication that is designed or intended to be transmitted between physical devices. "Electronic message" includes, but is not limited to electronic mail, a text message, an instant message, or a command or request to access an Internet site.

Since most hams are using voice (SSB or FM) while driving, and since the information transmitted is analog, it looks like the code as written doesn't prohibit ham radio usage in a car.  It also says voice-activated mode communication is exempt. I suppose you could use VOX or argue that talking on your mobile is inherently a voice-activated device since there is no communication if you don't talk into the mic. Finally it also seems like radios mounted in the vehicle might also be exempt.

To me it looks like this code is specifically written to keep drivers from sending SMS text messages or emails while driving except for when using a device that can take dictations (my XYL's new phone can do that quite well). However, it is poorly written and should says explicitly say if voice communication between 2-way radios is exempt or not. Otherwise it will be up to the whim of individual state troopers.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 11:37:39 AM »

The CBers will never go for it!  The truckers will boycott the State, and the economy will totally collapse.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 08:44:21 PM »

How about truckers and their CBs? Business class dispatch radios? Of course, many times those are stationary when used.. but not always. Hmm.. Taxis?....  What about police?

Good points--but you should already realize that police, firemen, municipal and state workers and everyone else tied into government will get an exemption.  Truckers?  No, they won't protest--they just ignore the law.  Anyway, after a while those people stopping dead in traffic and blocking streets will make the lawmakers realize what a can of worms they opened.

You can't legislate responsibility. Passing laws won't stop inconsiderate, self-absorbed and rude people. You need to get them off the streets.....  ....I ride a bike. With no radio. (Nor do I live in Illinois). So this ruling wouldn't impact me in any way. My only dog in the fight is liberty.

That should sum it up, but there are always--ALWAYS--legislators who, after seeing and hearing from their constituents, will introduce and back legislation that seems to be for the good--but hasn't been thought through at all and provides loads and loads of problems for everyone--both in the casual and the business sectors.  73!
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 12:25:03 PM »

This law is written similar to the NYS law regarding cells phones and PDAs while driving. There has already been an appellate reversal of a conviction under this law where the driver was using an amateur radio. The judge in effect said the amateur radio being similar to CD radio and both did not fit the criteria of the law. Google nys v bozak to see the law and the judge's ruling.

Bernie
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 07:13:46 PM »

Cell phones are full duplex, therein lies a difference.  Anyone see any statistics on how many hams were involved in accidents last year while "operating"?  C'mon, "ban it all" do-gooders, how about some NUMBERS?
AE5J

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 09:28:44 PM »

I am simply astounded at the number of hams who see no problem with legislation like this. I guess it might be a good time to post this:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                                                                                                                                               Benjamin Franklin
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 09:45:57 AM »

I have to ask, what stats do they have saying that hams are the cause of many accidents? I bet not many. My company is currently working on a technology that would prohibit any mobile phone from dialing any number except 911, while it's moving more than 10MPH.

Jaime-KA3NXN
K5BJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 10:51:10 AM »

My company is currently working on a technology that would prohibit any mobile phone from dialing any number except 911, while it's moving more than 10MPH.

Has your company heard of automobile, bus and train passengersAngry
NO6L

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 01:07:25 AM »

My company is currently working on a technology that would prohibit any mobile phone from dialing any number except 911, while it's moving more than 10MPH.

Has your company heard of automobile, bus and train passengersAngry

"Well, back to the old drawing board".
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: