Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Illinois be the first State to Ban Ham Radio while Driving?  (Read 7687 times)
WA4D

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2012, 07:08:07 PM »

"Proposed Illinois legislation Would Ban Federally Licensed Amateur Radio Ops From Mobile Operation. "  So Says a headline from Shortwave America.  http://shortwaveamerica.blogspot.com/2012/01/proposed-illinois-legislation-would-ban.html

Short wave America cites an Illinois ARRL member as saying, "If this legislation passes as it is proposed, the use of amateur radio gear while driving will be outlawed in Illinois."

The good news is that the momentum is not just talk, but active legislation is coming to the fore. As  I predicted elsewhere in these forums, Ham Radio Mobile enthusiasts are on the defensive.  The end is not near. but the absurdity of operating  a ham  radio while simultaneously driving a motor vehicle  has begun it's  last  cycle. As it should be.

mike/ wa4d.net
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 07:14:59 PM by WA4D » Logged
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 11:41:40 PM »

LOL! LOL! LOL!

I know your loving the attention, but just in case you are for real I'm gonna appease your persistence to gain acceptance from the community which you never will. As a free tax paying citizen and free American I will not allow the pompous self righteous on their high horse can't walk while chewing gum themselves tell me how to do it, when to do it and where I feel like doing it.

My goal is to ensure our God given right and freedoms as well as the vision of our fore fathers of what they thought this country should be based on to be preserved. I will not allow communists in this country impose their distorted view of what's right and wrong for us like they were playing God re-writing the commandments to be followed according to them.

Funny thing Mike WA4D or those sharing his view will never win from keeping hams operating their mobile units. How is this?

Quote:

" These two bills, HB3970 and HB3972, prohibit using all manner of electronic devices while one is driving unless said device is hands-free and/or voice-activated." End Quote!

A car stereo is not technically hands free until they've taken their eyes off the road for a few seconds to tune the radio, or insert a CD. A few seconds may be all that's needed to have an accident, but should we start eliminating all vehicles that have non voice activated electronic stereo and temp controlled systems rendered prohibited. Sounds absurd doesn't it?

Luckally today we have "hands free" mobile ham radio. I always utilize either with my IC-7000 or YAESU FT-817 along with a one sided headset made by Heil called the "Traveler Headset". I also operate VOX and with operating a voice activated mobile ham radio it seems the government law will not apply to us Ham's. Yeahhhhh! A win for us!

Along with my Traveler Headset there is a manual PTT button that allows you to also change frequency. It clips about chest high while sitting in the drivers seat. You don't have to take your eyes off the road at all. So you can go manual or VOX.

So you see! All's not lost and if one needs to aquire certain equipment to work around this infringement on your freedom to do as you please there's salvation on the other side.

Can't keep a good ham down and oh.......happy mobile operating and drive safe!

73!

BTW: This statement wasn't to be defensive but to educate and share other possibilities so that one will be able to enjoy a nice chat with a fellow
Ham on the ride home. Wink
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:12:18 AM by N2RRA » Logged
W2RI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 04:37:30 AM »

What a load of self-righteous drivel. We'll have a few more clowns coming in and pontificating about how "research" demonstrates that mobile amateur radio operations are inherently more distracting than listening to the car stereo. Well, I've got news for you guys - that's complete balderdash.

Whatever about the research you may quote, the simple fact of the matter is that there is a big difference between speaking on a cellphone and operating a radio, easily demonstrated. Most have us have seen people on their cellphones walking back and forth, or in circles, oblivious of their surroundings. The reason they do this is more than likely because when on the phone one naturally focuses one's attention on the ear the phone is held to, distracting one from all other sensory inputs. This is not the case when having a conversation - or when talking on the radio (if not using headphones).

Operating SSB mobile is no more distracting than a conversation, and far less distracting that listening to an audiobook in my car.  Listening to talk radio is more distracting. But, Mike, I don't believe you have commented on whether listening to the mass media should be outlawed - I doubt you would wish it to be. But then, I suspect you have a commercial interest in maintaining the status quo.

There are many contributing factors to accidents that I suggest you focus your attention on before turning to amateur radio (unless, of course, you're contemptibly merely trolling). Banning driving at night would save lives. Banning driving above 20 miles per hour would, too. Banning drivers under 30 and over 55 years old would, also. Banning cruise control would. Banning driving in rain would, as would banning passengers in cars. Banning tractor trailers would as well. Not to mention billboards, an even prohibiting pretty girls from walking on sidewalks on roads where cars are driven.

But why stop there? The ultimate solution, of course, is to ban cars.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:31:14 AM »

Oh! God! Here we go again. Why don't you just give it a rest?

WA4D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 06:45:13 AM »

Alan..

An amusing retort!  Your current stats reflect that you have posted 3540 times to the Mobile sections of the forums.   If anyone needs to "give it a rest" it's you.  Though your intolerance for other points of view is consistent with the Ham Radio culture at large.

Regards,
mike wa4d.net
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 06:48:57 AM »

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, if you ban the use of "all electronic devices" in the car, you wouldn't be able to drive anywhere because just turning on a modern car activates all sorts of "electronic devices." It's kinda hard to drive a car "hands free" (at least, today).

Smiley
(edit)
I just opened the proposed changes and found this in the opening section:

Sec. 12-610.2. Electronic communication devices.
(a) As used in this Section, Section: "Electronic communication device" means an electronic device, including but not limited to a wireless telephone, personal digital assistant, or a portable or mobile computer, but does not include a global positioning system or navigation system or a device that is physically or electronically integrated into the motor vehicle.

So it's an "electronic communication device" they care about and it seems like all you have to do to operate your ham radio is to "integrate it physically into the motor vehicle." So, put your radio in your dash and keep hammin'.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:03:27 AM by K7RBW » Logged
WA4D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 07:01:52 AM »

Bob....

Clearly the proposed legislation does not / will not prohibit use of all electronic devices.  

The issue that many hams are in denial about are the indisputable studies and factual evidence that "distracted driving" is a safety hazard.  It matters not whether one is on a Cell phone or a CB radio or  a Ham radio device. The issue is the "cognitive distraction" that accompanies the use of such devices while simultaneously operating an automobile.  

Cheers from LA-

Mike/ WA4D.Net

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:06:55 AM by WA4D » Logged
K5BJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 08:07:29 AM »

That will go over like a lead balloon with the trucking industry.
WA4D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 08:19:29 AM »

"That will go over like a lead balloon with the trucking industry."

You're right Brad.  And even proponents of restrictive legislation acknowledge the difficulty of enforcement.
W2RI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »

The issue that many hams are in denial about are the indisputable studies and factual evidence that "distracted driving" is a safety hazard.  It matters not whether one is on a Cell phone or a CB radio or  a Ham radio device. The issue is the "cognitive distraction" that accompanies the use of such devices while simultaneously operating an automobile.  
Indisputable? Hardly.

An amusing retort!  Your current stats reflect that you have posted 3540 times to the Mobile sections of the forums.   If anyone needs to "give it a rest" it's you.
At least many of his posts add value.

Though your intolerance for other points of view is consistent with the Ham Radio culture at large.
The irony is delicious.

I was puzzled for a moment why someone would come in to the mobile forum for the sake of attacking mobile operators. But then I did a google search and discovered some of WA4D's greatest hits:

"But the vast majority of hams will remain, mind numbingly bland and their discourse will be the same drivel they propagate on RF "
"Indeed, Hams are even less articulate and interesting in the realm of social discourse than they are on the air (if that is possible.)"
"The hobby is not dying. It is dead. It is not vibrant. It is not relevant. It is not stimulating to anyone who knows anything about current technology."
"Ham radio should also have "fitness" standards for "Youth" to enter the hobby. As the Time piece noted, 'Quality trumps quantity'.
If you're "unfit" to serve the nation, you should not be welcome in Ham radio."
"Show me an "active" ham and I'll show you someone who doesn't read books. If he has a job and family, I'll show you a poor parent and spouse."
"Field day is a relic of another time. Let's move on."
"Boycott any ham who is mobile. "
"The ARRL should issue a Green Manifesto and call for a moratorium on ALL amplifier use by league members and disallow their use in any league sponsored event. Further, QST magazine should drop all ads for amplifier products."
"One of the great myths of Amateur radio is that it is a vibrant environment for communicating. And indeed it is, if your idea of communicating is the mindless drivel that is the norm across the spectrum."
"Yet eham plods along like the hobby and demographics it represents. Compared to what's happening on the net at large, eham is like a web rest home"

WA4D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 09:52:38 AM »

Thank You W2RI for compiling some of my unique and perceptive observations so that other hams can easily find them.

You won't find that I tell other hams to "drop it" or discourage their expression. Indeed I enjoy shooting down the myths and weak rhetorical  positions that many make. Stating an opinion that is not shared, is hardly "intolerant". I welcome their antiquated views of the hobby.  

I  concede Alan K0BG has contributed substantially to the hardware side of the hobby. Yet the sun is now setting on mobile operations.  Alan should redirect his talent to other areas.

Cheers from Sunny LA
mike/wa4d.net
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:12:29 AM by WA4D » Logged
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 07:31:26 PM »

Mike!
Gotta be something in the Water out there in CALIFORNIA!  Roll Eyes

(((73))) Milverton.
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 09:33:38 PM »

The U.S.Department Of Transportation is telling state governments to consider banning the use of cell phones while driving. This will certainly include ham radio. This isn't some conspiracy against amatuer radio operators, its about public safety.
While some of you whine about your rights, people are getting killed on the roads and highways by distracted drivers.
While I'm on the road, I don't want to share it with some clown who is texting on his phone, or playing with his radio.
Laws governing the use of electronic devices WHILE DRIVING are being considered by many states, and for a good reason.
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 09:49:36 PM »

Exceptions to HB3972 in Illinois...
      "   (1) a law enforcement officer or operator of an 
      emergency vehicle while performing his or her official 
      duties;
         (2) a driver using an electronic communication device 
      for the sole purpose of reporting an emergency situation 
      and continued communication with emergency personnel 
      during the emergency situation;
          (3) a driver using an electronic communication device 
      in hands-free or voice-activated mode;
          (4) a driver of a commercial motor vehicle reading a 
      message displayed on a permanently installed communication 
      device designed for a commercial motor vehicle with a 
      screen that does not exceed 10 inches tall by 10 inches 
      wide in size; 
          (5) a driver using an electronic communication device 
      while parked on the shoulder of a roadway; or

(6) a driver using an electronic communication device 
      when the vehicle is stopped due to normal traffic being 
      obstructed and the driver has the motor vehicle 
      transmission in neutral or park.  "

I have a mobile radio in my pickup. I ask myself why someone would be against a common sense measure in the interest of public safety??
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 09:53:22 PM »

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, if you ban the use of "all electronic devices" in the car, you wouldn't be able to drive anywhere because just turning on a modern car activates all sorts of "electronic devices." It's kinda hard to drive a car "hands free" (at least, today).

Smiley
(edit)
I just opened the proposed changes and found this in the opening section:

Sec. 12-610.2. Electronic communication devices.
(a) As used in this Section, Section: "Electronic communication device" means an electronic device, including but not limited to a wireless telephone, personal digital assistant, or a portable or mobile computer, but does not include a global positioning system or navigation system or a device that is physically or electronically integrated into the motor vehicle.

So it's an "electronic communication device" they care about and it seems like all you have to do to operate your ham radio is to "integrate it physically into the motor vehicle." So, put your radio in your dash and keep hammin'.

Hehe..what a silly statement.  Are you a child? This needs to be explained to you?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: