Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Illinois be the first State to Ban Ham Radio while Driving?  (Read 7854 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 07:14:37 AM »

AI8P,

My point is that you never hear on the news that the vehicle in an accident had a CB, or ham radio, or handy talkie.  The police report can say that, and the press will speculate on the causes of the accident. The problem is that this is never reported because the MINORITY of the accidents, or none for that matter, are caused because of radio use.  Most of the time the press will speculate that the driver "might have been talking on the radio at the time of the accident" or the "the vehicle was equippped with a two way radio and it is beleived that the drive was distracted."  However, this is never the case, at least I have never seen a report like that in the local press in Massachusetts where we have plenty of accidents. 

Most of the time the accidents are caused by people using cell phones, texting, women farding (it is a word, meaning applying cosmetics), reading the paper, falling asleep, plain stupidity or doing other things that they should not be doing while driving a car.  As a previous poster said, you might as well ban GPS units, which I think are more distracting and also make people do crazy things when the thing says "recalculating" or "whe legal to do so make a U-turn."  Next thing you know, we might as well ban walking by taking on a cell phone because we may get distracted while crossing the street and be killed by a car (it happened the other day in Boston BTW).

I say again, you cannot legislate COMMON SENSE and you cannot ban STUPIDITY by legislation.  We are the ones who can only apply common sense and not be stupid.

Have a nice day!!!!

73 DE Bert @ KA2UUP

I don't know you Bert, but you make perfect sense so if these guys don't get you it's not because of you.

WA4D is enjoying watching everyone getting wound up at his expense. Thats just the sinical malicious person that he is. He's a racist and self absorbed individual that loves to create chaos and debates. I'm not name calling by any means or trying to start trouble. Just goggle his call and you'll find my description of him to be very true at his own doing.

Reason for my posting is so that those without common sense can see what he's trying to do and not to fall into his trap. I did hold out a long time from expressing my view of him till he was so persistent at posting three alike threads right here on this web site alone trying to gain support. Either he succeeded or these guys are friends of his. It's sad!!

Anyway, truth is like I mentioned and you reiterated that GPS are next in line before ham radio for cause's of accidents. I was pulled over in New Jersey for an illegal U-turn. I didnt have any traffic coming either direction at the time but it is what it is. He mentioned having a GPS stuck to my wind shield as a ticket in itself. I asked could I put it on my dash. He said "no, it's still blocking your view" which is a violation itself. I asked "why the HELL do they sell these things then if you can get a ticket?" He didn't have an answer!

Where would I put it? On my lap? Of course not but if the cops are trained in things to give tickets that may cause accidents. Why arent GPS's on this list? Because it's big money corporations making the stuff that won't allow it.

It is a topic in some states but ham radio is far far from one of those causing accidents. I'm sure the ones that are siding with WA4D and himself have a GPS.

What Hipocrates!!

73!
AI8P

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 09:22:33 AM »

Mea culpa,

I thought you wanted to have a discussion.

I done learned better!

Dennis
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 11:07:52 AM »

Mea culpa,

I thought you wanted to have a discussion.

I done learned better!

Dennis

Wait! What?

You started with the insults to that poor guy and he's not the first you've done it too.

Ahhhh! Should know better myself. LOL!

See what I mean Bert? LOL!
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 01:30:29 PM »

Yep!!!  Now I see it, my man!!!!

That is why I seldom give opinions in here and only try to restrict things by asking questions about technical matters.  I was not treated very nicely some years ago when another radio amateur asked about putting 572B tubes in his AL-811H amp and what were the benefits of doing so.  The answer I gave him was "yes, you can", very simple and, apart from better reliability and smoother operation, no other benefit was to be had.  Others were questioning as to why he was spending the money (like it was theirs), giving the wrong technical information ("you don't have the voltages in an AL-811H to load the tube"), etc.  Some people attacked me for defending the guy's right to spend his money as he wanted! 

Well, what can you expect?  Thanks for sticking up for COMMON SENSE!!!

73 DE Bert @ KA2UUP

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 06:11:49 AM »

....Although using handheld phones are explicitly banned from use while driving, the number I see every day with the phone WELDED to their ears.  On roundabouts, at junctions, in towns, out in the sticks.  My favourite(?) is the one driving, on the phone and gesticulating with the other hand....

I have one that I'll remember until my last days.  I was parked in a restaurant parking lot and saw a woman driving a Hummer--a large expensive SUV--on Cape Cod, Massachusetts last year.  She was driving, as you say, with a cell phone glued to her ear, and going around a rotary--what you call a roundabout.  She drove right off the road into the brush and sand alongside the highway and got stuck!

She actually continued her conversation as she put her SUV into four wheel drive and backed out of the mess she got herself into--and almost backed right into a police cruiser that had stopped to see if she needed help!  She even refused to put down the cell phone as the policeman accosted her for her actions, earning her a nice ticket and a lecture--once the policeman got the cell phone away from her.

I just wished I had a video camera then--I probably would have won a prize for the best home video filmed!  LOL!
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »

It will probably appear on a reality cop show (Police Camera Action over here) I would heve laughed if when she put her "Chelsea Tractor" in 4WD she just dug herself in deeper.
Self inflicted, no sympathy

73 details Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2012, 06:25:13 AM »

Breaking news on Saturday morning--February 11th!

It's been reported that his amendment has been added to the bill as being given exemptions to the law--

AMENDMENT TO HOUSE BILL 3972

(7) a driver using two-way radio citizens band radio services or two-way mobile radio transmitter or receivers as licensees of the Federal Communications Commission in the amateur radio service.... shall not be affected by this law.

Looks like common sense won out once again!

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2012, 09:30:54 AM »

Hooo rayyyyy. I hope the wind-ups and trolling will now end

73 details Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2012, 02:54:48 PM »

Breaking news on Saturday morning--February 11th!

It's been reported that his amendment has been added to the bill as being given exemptions to the law--

AMENDMENT TO HOUSE BILL 3972

(7) a driver using two-way radio citizens band radio services or two-way mobile radio transmitter or receivers as licensees of the Federal Communications Commission in the amateur radio service.... shall not be affected by this law.

Looks like common sense won out once again!

Good!

Now can someone tell WA4D to stop spurring his crap thread all over the place putting a damper on this topic.

Oh.....and please tell him that logic and common sense prevailed once again by smarter people.

73!
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: