Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elecraft P3 Panadapter with Yaesu FT-950 using RFSpace IF-2000 card VS DMU-2000  (Read 3375 times)
K2CMH

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2012, 04:37:21 AM »

Has anyone used an FT-950 (or other Yaesu) with the IF-2000 card driving an Electraft P3 Panadapter?  I was just curious especially now that the P3 has a VGA card that will allow you to connect the P3 up to a hi-res monitor and not be restricted to the small 4" display in the P3.  One thing I like about this approach is that it does NOT involve the computer, it is a complete stand-alone hardware solution.  I already have enough apps running on the computer fighting for sceen real-estate that I am trying to avoid adding another (the SDR application).  Before someone says "get another monitor for the computer", I already have four 19" monitors in use. :-)   Also, I currently have the DMU2000, and while it is satisfactory, the features and resolution of the P3 seem to be well above that of the DMU with respect to the panadapter functionality.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:58:42 AM »

Until some comes along that has done that check out this site:
http://www.k6jrf.com/Add_Panadapter_FT2000-v2-AC0C.pdf
Bob
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:04:02 AM »

More 950 infp:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,79534.0.html
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:35:29 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have seen both of those resources and they were very helpful.

Carlton
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 07:53:06 PM »

Has anyone used an FT-950 (or other Yaesu) with the IF-2000 card driving an Electraft P3 Panadapter?  I was just curious especially now that the P3 has a VGA card that will allow you to connect the P3 up to a hi-res monitor and not be restricted to the small 4" display in the P3.  One thing I like about this approach is that it does NOT involve the computer, it is a complete stand-alone hardware solution.  I already have enough apps running on the computer fighting for sceen real-estate that I am trying to avoid adding another (the SDR application).  Before someone says "get another monitor for the computer", I already have four 19" monitors in use. :-)   Also, I currently have the DMU2000, and while it is satisfactory, the features and resolution of the P3 seem to be well above that of the DMU with respect to the panadapter functionality.

Not quite related to your question, but I also have a DMU2000 and was wondering if you have been able to find any useful information out of the scope displays (button 3)?

Thanks

Sam
W9KDX
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:48:06 AM »

Elecraft is usually quick to get back to you with answers to pre-sales questions. The '950 is a very popular rig, and I'm sure they'll have application information for you if you drop them and email.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »

>Not quite related to your question, but I also have a DMU2000 and was wondering if you have been able to find any useful information out of the scope displays (button 3)?

I don't really use that feature since the software that I use (HRD) has a waterfall display which is much higher resolution and more useful than the audio scope.  Is there something specific you wanting to know?

>Elecraft is usually quick to get back to you with answers to pre-sales questions.

I don't really have any direct questions, I know the combination will work.  I was just curious if anyone has actually done it and what their opinion was on whether or not they thought it was worth the money.  It will be fairly pricey by the time you factor in the P3, IF-2000 card, and the SVGA adapter board, much more than the cost of the DMU2000.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 06:47:47 AM »

>Not quite related to your question, but I also have a DMU2000 and was wondering if you have been able to find any useful information out of the scope displays (button 3)?

I don't really use that feature since the software that I use (HRD) has a waterfall display which is much higher resolution and more useful than the audio scope.  Is there something specific you wanting to know?

I was just hoping to find out some use for the displays other than pretty pictures.  The two different displays on option 3 are interesting, but do they tell me something about the signal that would actually help me tune or are they just there to look at?  Any source you could point me to would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sam
W9KDX
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 07:46:57 AM »

The only use I have found for them is to be able to visualize the impact of adjusting certain parameters for filtering, such as notch, IF shift, etc.   I very rarely leave the RF Scope display.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:34:30 PM by K2CMH » Logged
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »

The only use I have found for them is to be able to visual the impact of adjusting certain parameters for filtering, such as notch, IF shift, etc.   I very rarely leave the RF Scope display.

Thanks, I had not thought of that.  I'll give it a try.

Sam
W9KDX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: