The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why steal a dipole ?  (Read 78906 times)
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2015, 04:14:21 AM »

I say if they want copper, give it to them... copper jacketed lead...
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2015, 04:59:32 PM »

Heck, I'll go you one better.  Did you ever hear of STEALING RAILROAD TIES?

During the mid 70's, used railroad ties were the rage for landscaping, fences and general decor.  Some misguided soul, undoubtedly from out the area, stole about 200 hundred ties from under the rails of an IC branch line near Pontiac.

During the fall harvest season, an IC engine and empty hopper cars bound for grain elevators derailed when it hit the stretch of tracks without any ties!

The FBI investigated and couldn't even determine when the ties were stolen, much less who did it!!!

Huh

N9LCD 
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2015, 05:09:09 AM »

During the mid 70's, used railroad ties were the rage for landscaping, fences and general decor.  Some misguided soul, undoubtedly from out the area, stole about 200 hundred ties from under the rails of an IC branch line near Pontiac.

During the fall harvest season, an IC engine and empty hopper cars bound for grain elevators derailed when it hit the stretch of tracks without any ties!

The FBI investigated and couldn't even determine when the ties were stolen, much less who did it!!!

Huh

N9LCD 

Just to be clear, that was Pontiac IL, not Pontiac MI.  Thieves around here (Pontiac MI) are generally too lazy to pick up anything as heavy as a railroad tie!   Grin
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2015, 05:41:33 AM »

I live in Northern Arizona and we get all of our internet connections from the Phoenix area, 150 miles south. To get that signal here, they use a buried cable that runs through some vast sections of empty desert. Because these areas are uninhabited, they don't go to any great lengths to hide the fact that there is something buried there. Much of the cable is buried under or through dry washes. In the washes, the cable isn't buried as deep as the other areas.

Well, about a year ago, some "tech savvy" individuals decided that they were going to dig it up and steal the copper. Why not, there is no one around to see what they were doing. They dug it up but their plan hit a snag, when they cut the cable. As it turned out, it was all fiber optic cable. No copper to be had. We had no internet connection for 3 or 4 days while the network people repaired the cable.

Martin - K7MEM

http://www.k7mem.com
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2015, 09:08:42 AM »

Huh

N9LCD 

That is odd... but given it happened in the 1970's it may have some fact.  The railroads were a mess and many lines were bankrupt.   Today, railroads have track inspectors doing daily inspections on major rail lines. 

Old used ties are also in high demand, but the railroads are reluctant to sell them to the general public due to EPA concerns and liability issues.

Pete
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2015, 07:38:59 AM »

< snip >
Old used ties are also in high demand, but the railroads are reluctant to sell them to the general public due to EPA concerns and liability issues.

Pete
Not to drift too far off topic...

At least one of the local lumber & building supply chains will, on occasion, sell used RR ties.  To be honest, for the cost & considering the condition, you're better off buying new 4x6 6x6 pressure treated beams... but they do sell.

No, I don't know how they EPA/environmental concerns or liability issues, if any, are handled.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2015, 10:28:45 AM »

most of those old used rail ties that show up come from the south.  there is a virulent termite down there that manages to munch on the ties and get transported all the heck over the place.

good new ground-contact rated timbers at the lumber yard, now, that's the ticket.  you just can't paint or stain them until they sun-dry at least two months.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: