Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hope everyone's got PY0S  (Read 8568 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 03:34:06 PM »

Why do people like to have everything made quick and easy?  I think if I worked every country I would probably lose 80% of my interest in Ham Radio, it's the thought of getting something new that makes DX interesting,  I am all for it taking 10 or 20 years to get to the finish line. I know one day that most of the closed one's will open up and some that are easy now may become impossible, thats a huge part of this great hobby.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 09:44:02 AM »

You guys think that having a pile of rubble in the middle of the ocean with no human population or government structure is worth the aggrivation to scream your lungs up for (especially now that it has been made much more difficult to work) God bless you....I happen to think it's not worth it and that such an entity should be bagged....The criteria for what constitutes a "country" is a joke.....We agree to disagree....Let's just leave it at that and wait and see if St. Peter/Paul is ever activated in our lifetimes....My guess is that it won't be........

Vince,

I'm not going to the trouble of checking online logs for your call, but I'd wager that you have "screamed your lungs' out to bag at least several of the following DXCC entities: Conway Reef, Ducie Island, Clipperton, Desecheo, Sable, Mellish Reef ... need I go on?  I'd wager further that you have collected QSL cards from some or all of these entities, and maybe even submitted them to ARRL for DXCC credit.  

My point is that you and I don't make the DXCC rules, but we still have fun pursuing our goals.

Chuck  NI0C

Gentlemen:

Allow me to try and clear the air.  My point is not about "quick and easy" (although I will say one more time that this "challenge/compete" mentality that some of you have in this hobby, again, where it's NOT a matter of life and death, and it's NOT a matter of putting money in your pocket is totally absurd in my view)....my point is what is it that constitutes a "country" in the eyes of the DXCC....If St Pete/St Paul Rox is just that....a pile of rox in the middle of the water that has become that much harder to contact and get to because of onerus government regulations, then why is it on the list?  Why?.....it doesn't even become the equivelent to a 100 yard strip of land...and yes, I am jacked over the PY0S news because it's one of only 3 entities I need to complete South America...ain't gonna lie to you.....Scarborugh Reef is another joke (which a lot of you agree that it is per other posts on here)......that is my point....

As for your comments Chuck....I will break this down as best I can....When I worked Conway Reef on my peuny station back in October of 2001, it was at 5 or 6 in the am as I recall (my time) and no one was around....No screaming there....When I worked the other places you listed, I waited until the insanity that, again some of you absurdly live for, died down....so there wasn't much in the way of "screaming my lungs up" for them either...and I have yet to work Mellish Reef.....I'd like to get a photo of that place too to see if it's a joke of an entity......I realize we don't make the rules, but trying to understand the leagues logic for DXCC.....I think we have a better chance of understanding women!...... Shocked.........

Anyway, I hope this disappointing news is all for naught, as some of you seem to think that a "compromise" can be worked out.....Working out a "compromise" with Government???....especially over enviro issues?Huh....again, you have a better chance of getting me to understand women....

V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:54:44 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 10:40:25 AM »

Why do you feel that a country is more substantial than a pile of rocks? I would say that it's the reverse. Countries come and go. The rocks, no matter what they're named, remain.

I like the idea of having "exotic" entities on the least, even if there's little chance of activation. They should add more, not delete. A dozen completely new entities would spice things up.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 07:58:24 PM »

Why do you feel that a country is more substantial than a pile of rocks? I would say that it's the reverse. Countries come and go. The rocks, no matter what they're named, remain.

I like the idea of having "exotic" entities on the least, even if there's little chance of activation. They should add more, not delete. A dozen completely new entities would spice things up.

Lots of exotic entities chasing RSGB IOTA.
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 08:22:03 PM »

Lots of exotic entities chasing RSGB IOTA.

I know. I wish they would work out something with LoTW or do the equivalent. I'm not interested in collecting cards. And it's not that I want to "win" anything, I just like knowing that a contact is confirmed.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2012, 09:00:29 AM »

I do compete - but only with myself. DXCC for me is what inspires me to learn about antennas, propagation, geography and keeps me up on my CW skills.

I am always inspired by those who do better than I - and in most cases these gurus share their knowledge in a friendly way.

In short I do it because its fun

WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »

I do compete - but only with myself. DXCC for me is what inspires me to learn about antennas, propagation, geography and keeps me up on my CW skills.

I am always inspired by those who do better than I - and in most cases these gurus share their knowledge in a friendly way.

Exactly. It beats me how anyone can be motivated by a lousy piece of paper for the wall. Nor do I get the fascination with HR. The object is to work as many as possible and have fun doing it, not to get my call on a list.

BTW, I know where Lock Haven is. I'm from PA. After an excursion to MA, I got tired of the big city and went to PSU for grad school.

Just came across this story. A future job for the DXCC gods? I guess human habitation is no guarantee.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/entire-pacific-nation-of-kiribati-could-one-day-move-to-fiji-to-escape-climate-change/2012/03/08/gIQAPZoO0R_story.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:54:11 PM by WS3N » Logged
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »

Plus 2.  Well stated.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: