Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorola HT600 programming  (Read 11640 times)
KD2E

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:37:32 PM »

My HT600 and P200 are programmed (by me) , but recently some PL tones were changed.
First....My old WANG pc lost its BIOS, and requires the floppy (unobtainium)
My NCR PC of similar vintage blew up its' power supply when I plugged it in.

In addition, my CD with the software on it seems to be blank.

HELP!!!    I remember I got the software from some Russian website around 2000 or so??

Can anyone tell me if that website is still up? 
I'll find a new (slow) DOS computer eventually, but not sure where to get that software again.
Thanks folks for any tips!!!
.....Dave
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 08:40:20 PM »

About six years ago I bought a Compaq Portable II (III, can't remember) off eBay ($100) to back up a Compaq computer we used at work for automation.  I booted it up a couple years back, funny how that DOS 6.0 still works.  I would keep my eye on eBay.  Some like me just collect old computers.  Now that I recall I got an old Toshiba laptop with Windows 3.1 on it too.  Anyway, it shouldn't be too hard to find an older machine, just a matter of your willingness to pay the price...

I have read that Moto software is picky, any chance of running a "virtual DOS machine" inside of Linux?  I know it would have to have real serial ports, and those motherboard/computers are hard to find also.

Mike
KD2E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:16:09 AM »

Well, as I said...the WANG is no more...unless I flind that BIOS 5 1/4" floppy (unlikely).
The NCR machine has a dead PS.
I have an old IBM luggable, with an amber screen.
I didn't think it would work, 'cuz it isn't MSDOS...it is IBM's PCDOS.   Close, but not the same.
Surprise!!!   Found my software, copied it to floppy....and my HT is re-programmed!
I actually can't believe it worked!!   I better take care of that IBM if I want to keep the HT's !!!
Hooray!!!

.....Dave
VE7JWS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »

I got the programming software for my P200s and HT600 from that Russian website, and I imagine it's still there.  Lots of other good stuff in that massive download, such as the Kenwood TK-260 programming stuff I needed for a newly acquired old radio for use on APRS.
KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:23:26 PM »

Just a word of caution...  Even though you can run DOS 6.22 on a modern computer, programming the older Motorola radios requires a slow connection speed or internal damage to the radio may occur. A Motorola dealer/servicer friend of mine told me that once the radio has been damaged that it is unlikely to be worth repairing (if you can even get the parts anymore).
N1OFJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:13:33 AM »

I am scratching my head trying to figure out exactly what this topic has to do with repeaters...portable programming questions belong in a different topic
KB4RIZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 04:11:57 PM »

Fellas.  The RSS software is no longer supported by Motorola.  You can usually find a copy of it floating arund somewhere..don't know that I would trust the "Russian" site..but it might be worth a try.  I do have the RSS on a machine formerly owned by a Moto service tech.  He tossed it, and I got it..now...question IS it imperative to have a separate RIB box to get the software to pass the COM port test?  I could find a "ribless" version that has a battery connector on a wire coming from the serial plug..but it doesn't seem to work.  I can successfully program an HT1000 with this computer so I know the serial port works.  Do I. Need to get the RIB cable for the HT600 and attach that to the external RIB box for this to work?  I have a nice slow Toshiba 286 running MSDOS 6.2
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: