Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So for omnidirectional LEO home stuff...the M2 egg-beater duo is the way to go?  (Read 3008 times)
KB1TXK

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »

Its pricey (for me) but I can save my pennies. Just want to be sure its really the best way to get into LEO work without yagis and rotors and whatnot. Is it worth the ~$400 ?

N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 06:02:02 AM »

I asked basically the same question about eggbeaters in general earlier today in the Yahoo Work-sta forum.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Work-Sat/?yguid=212792113

The M2 antennas send very little RF towards the horizon. Take a look at the link below.
http://www.m2inc.com/index.php?ax=amateur&pg=133

Compare the antenna patterns here of a regular eggbeater and this hombrew eggbeater. Would be nice if someone sold the Texas Potato Masher!
http://www.observations.biz/K5OE/Eggbeeater_2.htm

Zack
N8FNR

WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:33:26 AM »

Its pricey (for me) but I can save my pennies. Just want to be sure its really the best way to get into LEO work without yagis and rotors and whatnot. Is it worth the ~$400 ?

You could try some other alternatives.  If you're willing to homebrew, you may be able to save most of that $400 or so you would have spent on the M2 Eggbeaters. Options include:

- Simple 1/4-wave groundplane antennas for each band.  Although not optimized for satellite work, the simple antennas don't radiate solely to the horizon like most gain verticals used by hams for fixed antennas.

- Horizontal loops for each band, mounted 1/4-wavelength above a groundplane (roughly 6 inches above the groundplane for the 70cm loop, and about 19 inches up for the 2m loop).  This gets closer to what the Eggbeaters are functionally, but (at least at M2 pricing) cost a lot less than the Eggbeaters.  Or make your own loops.

- Search for Lindenblad antennas, another good omnidirectional antenna design used for satellite work, and build them for 2m and 70cm.

- (or look at the previously-mentioned K5OE Texas Potato Masher)

When going with omnidirectional antennas, many satellite operators find that they need to use preamps to be able to have good reception of the downlinks.  This is where any savings from not putting up a directional antenna (or antennas) and rotator may go out the window.  With good quality feedline, you could go with an Arrow Yagi or Elk log periodic on a TV antenna rotator, pointed up 15 to 20 degrees from the horizon.  This will let you work the vast majority of all passes, the TV rotator could be turned by hand, and buying an Arrow or Elk with a TV rotator might be about half the cost of two M2 Eggbeaters.  Unless the feedline run is very long, you may be able to avoid the need for preamps with the directional antenna on the TV rotator.  Just a thought to keep in mind...

73!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:15:13 PM by WD9EWK » Logged

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »

I have the M2 2M and 70CM eggbeaters with the radial kits and love them.  Yes they are pricey but, you get what you pay for.
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 12:22:31 PM »

Tony Montiero, AA2TX, came up with some very easy to build Lindenblad antennas for 2 Meters, and a novel 70 cm "parasitic" Lindenblad.
Google for "aa2tx lindenblad" and you'll find the original articles.
I have both of the M2 Eggbeaters, with SSB preamps, and while they work "OK", nothing beats a small yagi!

73, Jim
KE3LB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »

I use the elk in a tv rotor fixed at 20 degrees works ok for me also have the 440 m2 eggbeater it hears ok but prefer the elk in tv rotor just my experince ok good luck.73 ke3lb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: