Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: US Parcel Service seem overpriced to anyone? :-/  (Read 10338 times)
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »

KA4ETV,

any organization or business has some dead wood and management problems.

To call all the postal workers lazy and other names is not nice.
Many are former veterans who served our country.

73 james
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 02:28:48 AM »

KA4ETV:
People like this are unemployable unless Mr. Obama's government gives them a job.

Like most of your posts, your ignorance is glaringly obvious. The Postal Reorganization Act of 1971 abolished the previously President's Cabinet controlled "Post Office Department" and created the, in principle, separate from Govt "United States Postal Service". Postal employees are paid from revenue from postage, NOT taxes.

So how did Obama sell us down the river?
He was only 10 years old in 1971!
Please explain how that works.

If the work is so easy and the pay and retirement
benefits are so good, why don't YOU apply?

Your fat ass wouldn't last a week at the Post Office.
I know, I was there 12 years before going back for my
second degree and quitting for a job in the private sector.

Like a lot of people, you see a couple slow moving Window
Clerks and conclude that all 750,000+ Postal employees
have the same job and attitude.

Is there dead wood? Is it Management Top Heavy?
Of course.When I left 15 years ago, there was ONE
managerial employee for every THREE employees who
actually put their hands on sorting/deliverying the mail.

Incredible but true.

The Postal Service is a big target, so a lot of small
people like to take cheap shots at it,
sorta like the IRS.
But think about it. The Postal Service is the one daily
service in our lives that %99.999 of people can't
tell you how it works. People can tell you how gas and
water get to their house, but ask them how Auntie May's
letter got from Springfield to Carbondale and they haven't
a damn clue.

There's a LOT of things wrong (and right) with the Postal
Service today and a lot of changes are needed.
But don't blame the rank and file employees,
THEY don't make policy!
They're just trying to get
by in a stinky economy like the rest of us.

Ken  AD6KA
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:31:46 AM by AD6KA » Logged
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 11:38:51 AM »

I see you are taking the easy way out, instead of debating like a grown up, just label you opponent a communist.  Very intellectually lazy, but based on your recent posts, that's probably the best you can muster.

A lot of countries would love to have our postal system.  It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good.  I like my local post office and most of the people who work there.  They do a good job.  I can drop a parcel in the mail and two days later it arrives at my parent's house, several states away, every time.

If you were to talk with your local postal employees you'll find that the issues the Postal Service is experiencing have nothing to do with the President, but with Congress.  Hint, we have three branches of government.  Ignorant people blame the executive branch for every problem.  I say much of the blame for what is wrong with the U.S. rests on the shoulders of our do-nothing Congress.  They are the legislative branch, by the way.

And since you will label me for disagreeing with you, I am not a communist.  You'll have to try harder than that.  Not a liberal either.  I am a veteran though, like many of the postal employees that you trashed.  How about you?  What have you contributed to this country that you seem to loathe? 

Vince
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »

But I find it amazing I can order items from hong kong and they show up in less than a week and cost a couple of bucks.

KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 06:25:25 AM »

In order to get the rock bottom shipping price from UPS, you must take it to the nearest UPS terminal.  Do not take it ti UPS Stores.  They have flexibility to, "increase" the price for ancillary services such as insurance.  I sent a K2 from Fairhope, Al to Wake Forest, NC, paid around $40 which included $1200 insurance.  He sent it back to me for $20 plus a little.  I felt violated.
KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 06:39:03 AM »

I have a theory about the low shipping rates from Hong Kong. I think the postage they apply to the package is counterfeit. I've ordered $30 of small HT accessories (free shipping) and the amount of postage on the package totaled $28! There's no way they could be making anything on a transaction like that. They counterfeit software, perfumes and auto parts, why not phoney stamps? Shocked
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 08:42:56 PM »

Was that US dollars or Hong Kong dollars on the package? There is a big difference.

73s

K2OWK
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 10:13:55 AM »

HK$28 comes out to about US$3.60...
N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »

Absolutely overpiced in my book! I sent a very small one pound box from Louisville to Lexington KY and was charged $5.30. About a 75 mile distance. I bought no insurance or special handling, signature request etc..
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 04:29:43 AM »

Absolutely overpiced in my book! I sent a very small one pound box from Louisville to Lexington KY and was charged $5.30. About a 75 mile distance. I bought no insurance or special handling, signature request etc..

You consider that overpriced?  Ask yourself this--how much would it cost you to bring it there yourself, including your time?  How much do you think UPS or FedEx would have charged you.  The answer to your first, if you consider your time worth anything, is at least ten times what the USPS charged you.  The second?  At least as much as the USPS, if not more.  Don't believe me?  Then check. 

Anyway, if you consider $5 overpriced these days, then you're either sadly misinformed--or very foolish.
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 08:29:12 AM »

Jump in your politically correct Toyota Prius and drive it over. 75 mi x 2 = 150 mi round trip. At 50 MPG you burn 3 gal at $4 gal = $12. That doesn't pay you anything for the trip, just buys the gas.

Anytime you figure any of the shipping services are overpriced look at it that way. Simplistic I agree.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: