Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AH8DX copies callsign at 500 wpm!  (Read 6381 times)
NI0C

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2012, 05:31:49 AM »

The RufzXP Top list available at: http://www.rufzxp.net/ comes out every Monday.  Yesterday's edition reported that "Craig, AH8DX, managed to copy a callsign with speed 2504 (500wpm)!"  

That kinda makes my 80 wpm standing look puny.  Congrats to Craig!

Chuck  NI0C
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:34:39 AM by NI0C » Logged
K0TF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:05:58 PM »

The RufzXP Top list available at: http://www.rufzxp.net/ comes out every Monday.  Yesterday's edition reported that "Craig, AH8DX, managed to copy a callsign with speed 2504 (500wpm)!"  
That kinda makes my 80 wpm standing look puny.  Congrats to Craig!
Chuck  NI0C
...and two weeks later he's still nowhere to be found in the top 100 list... I wonder why... At those speeds each and everyone correctly received call-sign brings tens of thousands points...
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:47:23 AM »

K0TF wrote:
At those speeds each and everyone correctly received call-sign brings tens of thousands points...

He is listed at 17th place among males over 50 years of age with a score of 41,356 and best speed of 2504 cpm.  My guess is that it was a single call sign that gave him the high score. Almost everybody else near the top of the Top Speed list also has overall scores in the hundreds of thousands.  Apparently Craig has concentrated on speed, not overall points.  His speed record certainly is an outlier among many code champions, including yourself.

Chuck  NI0C
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:57:21 AM by NI0C » Logged
K0TF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:37:56 AM »

He is listed at 17th place among males over 50 years of age with a score of 41,356 and best speed of 2504 cpm.  My guess is that it was a single call sign that gave him the high score. Almost everybody else near the top of the Top Speed list also has overall scores in the hundreds of thousands.  Apparently Craig has concentrated on speed, not overall points.  His speed record certainly is an outlier among many code champions, including yourself.
Chuck  NI0C
Have you even tried RufzXP ever? once? what you just said doesn't make any sense at all, its 50 calls a pop exercise, highest speed 4018, and you can't get next call at higher speed without correctly getting previous one, thus you can't get speed without accumulating points. Unless you get first call correctly, and every one after that, mind you each one of them slower than previous one - wrong?  Sooooo, where is the rest 49 call-signs? And one more little thing, RufzXp does take in consideration your typing speed. Still question remains, why overall list of top 100 NEVER had AH8DX in its ranks? Two-three correct calls will surely provide necessary 56k points. Well ... I think simple youtube video would resolve many debates.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:08:02 AM by K0TF » Logged
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 06:53:07 AM »

Have you even tried RufzXP ever? once? what you just said doesn't make any sense at all, its 50 calls a pop exercise, highest speed 4018, and you can't get next call at higher speed without correctly getting previous one, thus you can't get speed without accumulating points

Of course I have, otherwise I wouldn't bother to be talking about the subject.  I have 766 RufzXP attempts in my database, and I know how it works. I think I made myself clear in my previous post.
K0TF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 07:09:29 AM »

...I think I made myself clear in my previous post.
Apparently not so as you thought...
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:39:51 AM »

Let me rephrase it, then.  All I was saying is that, to set a new (personal best) speed record, all you need to do is to set the program's initial speed higher than your previous top speed and start copying.  If you copy one call sign at a speed higher than your previous record, you don't have to get any of the remaining calls correct.  So, if you're just focusing on a speed record, you can blow 49 of the fifty calls. 

Without knowing what call sign Craig copied at 2504 cpm, it is difficult to say exactly how many RufzXP scoring points that one was worth; however I did some rough extrapolations based on typical points I've earned (at much slower speeds!) and it seems likely he earned his 41,356 score with that single call sign. 

Chuck  NI0C
K0TF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 08:48:44 AM »

Without knowing what call sign Craig copied at 2504 cpm, it is difficult to say exactly how many RufzXP scoring points that one was worth; however I did some rough extrapolations based on typical points I've earned (at much slower speeds!) and it seems likely he earned his 41,356 score with that single call sign.  
Chuck  NI0C
Let me repeat it to you again, if you got correctly just one FIRST call sign, (because of software set up, you can't increase your speed without correctly copying call) at the end of the session your speed will drop down to roughly 600, so my question remains, what is the factor which preclude anyone from copying 4 times slower speed, to the point of not being able to get meager 56k points? (one more correct call?) Does not make any sense to me, in fact, if you abort session, you won't get your scores at all.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:52:32 AM by K0TF » Logged
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »

Thank you.  I just learned something about RufzXP.  I started a session at 502 wpm and hit enter and noticed the next speed was 487 wpm.  You see, I'm used to running the program at mere mortal speeds (less than 100 wpm), so I thought the speed decrement was a constant 2 wpm.

I see what you're getting at.  My guess is that Craig got so happy when he copied a correct call sign at 500 wpm, that he just blew off the rest of the session by repeatedly hitting enter, and sent in his score.  But that's only a guess.

Chuck  NI0C
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 01:00:08 PM »

I heard from Craig today.  He told me he is practicing at 800 wpm now!  He has certainly left me in the dust since we met on the learn CW online website: http://lcwo.net/  less than two years ago.  Craig praised LCWO, saying "that is where it all began for me."  

He's certainly pushing the envelope, showing us what the human ear and brain are capable of!
Bravo Craig!

Chuck  NI0C  
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 01:25:45 PM »

He's certainly pushing the envelope, showing us what the human ear and brain are capable of!

Not to mention his audio system.  At 800 WPM the element length is 1.5 ms.  A 700 Hz cycle lasts 1.4 ms.

LB3KB Sigurd
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 02:23:12 PM »

At 800 WPM the element length is 1.5 ms.  A 700 Hz cycle lasts 1.4 ms.

Perhaps that's why the RufzXP program offers the choice of waveforms: sine, triangle, and square wave.  The latter two contain odd harmonics.  Even at my speeds, I seem to prefer the triangle wave.

Chuck  NI0C
K0TF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 07:45:31 PM »

Perhaps that's why the RufzXP program offers the choice of waveforms: sine, triangle, and square wave.  The latter two contain odd harmonics.  Even at my speeds, I seem to prefer the triangle wave.
Chuck  NI0C
Waveform have nothing to do with it... your element doesn't "fit" inside one cycle...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:15:14 PM by K0TF » Logged
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »

I just saw the RufzXP TopList which came out today-- Craig, AH8DX, has set yet a new record-- 4018 cpm (that's over 800 wpm).  In terms of overall points earned, he is now in first place for males over 50 years old, and in 11th place overall.

Go take a look at: http://www.rufzxp.net/

Congratulations, Craig!

Chuck  NI0C
K0TF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 02:49:15 PM »

I just saw the RufzXP TopList which came out today-- Craig, AH8DX, has set yet a new record-- 4018 cpm (that's over 800 wpm).  In terms of overall points earned, he is now in first place for males over 50 years old, and in 11th place overall.
Go take a look at: http://www.rufzxp.net/
Congratulations, Craig!
Chuck  NI0C
And now I can say for sure BS
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: