Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How close to a 6M yagi can I install a rotor?  (Read 836 times)
N8FNR

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2012, 07:55:38 AM »

I want to turn a small 6M yagi with a TV rotor. What is the closest that I can (should) install the rotor to the yagi? Would prefer to put the rotor right at the bottom of the yagi but have no idea if it will interfer with the yagi's performance. The yagi will be horizontal BTW.

Thanks
Zack
N8FNR
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »

I want to turn a small 6M yagi with a TV rotor. What is the closest that I can (should) install the rotor to the yagi? Would prefer to put the rotor right at the bottom of the yagi but have no idea if it will interfer with the yagi's performance. The yagi will be horizontal BTW.

Thanks
Zack
N8FNR

Hi Zack

I have a TV rotor mounted 3 feet below my 6 meter 3 element yagi with no effect on the swr of the beam.

Rick VE3FMC
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:02:30 AM »

You very often see a yagi mounted on a steel or aluminum tower, just 3-4 inches from the top, with the rotor mounted inside the tower a foot or so away.  It will make very little difference

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:24:29 AM »

A long time commercial radio dealer and still a ham, always recommended four feet as a rule of thumb. After installation, always check your SWR, but that is no guarantee of metal interaction.  Wink
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:29:13 PM »

Thanks
Zack
N8FNR

I have a M Squared 6M7JHV 7 el 6M yagi with the 31.5 ft boom mounted appx 18 inches above a Alliance HD-73 rotor at the top of a 40 ft light duty guyed tower and it suffers no ill affects as far as I have seen or measured. SWR is exactly as it is spec'ed to be and performance is spectacular (when 6M is open of course).  I would suspect so long as the boom is a foot or so above the top of the rotor you should be just fine. I have a similar setup on another tower using a Force 12 C3S (20-15-10M) and another Alliance HD-73, boom appx 18" above top of rotor and it too has no problems.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: