Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP QSO  (Read 2868 times)
NO2A

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »

I just had an amazing qso with AA1TJ,Mike in VT. He was running an all homebrew transmitter/receiver,with the transmitter featuring a pair of 2N123 transistors dated July 1959! Total output power 50mw on 80m! I was running 100 watts. Miracles do happen,even with my low 80m dipole.    Cheesy
KW6LA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »

Yes, Low power can be amazing ! Had a contact with UA0IT Andy, ( Russia ) on 5 watts / mobile/ CW. Now I could gloat over my home brew big gun Bug Catcher antenna .
This bigger truth is condition were exceptional, and the other Ham was using a very good antenna.  It is random and fun but like Alan ( K0BG  mobile setup mentor ) says,
It does not have a lot of merit as to skills or efficiency. I am not retired yet, so I run QRO to make a quick contact or two with limited time. My favorite kit, Oak Hills Research
and my Ten Tec  Argosy. Have Fun with QRP-P.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 05:21:34 AM »

Happy to hear that you and other hams are realizing that QRP DX contacts are made every day (especially 2 way QRP), by using simple proven wire antennas and following your basic day/night propagation for your band of interest.I have regular 40/20 meter cw skeds with other QRP ops in Washington state,Brazil and european Russia from here in Maine with 5 watts,a homebrew windom at 25 ft. with no tuner.Nothing difficult about it, just wish more hams would try it. Jim
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:40:15 AM by W1JKA » Logged
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 05:31:13 AM »

QRP can amaze you.  I recently got a 559 signal report on 20 meter CW from Australia while running one watt from SC - about 11,500 miles.  My transmitter is home brew running from a 12V battery.  I imagine it would be even easier and the signal report would have been better if 10 mmeters would have been open at the time.

Dick  AD4U
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 06:51:36 AM »

I've worked 116 countries since the end of last February, all at 5 watts or less, with the largest antenna being an 80m doublet up 45'.  Sunspots help!  ;-)

Go to aa4ga.com and click on "QRP DXCC" and see some really big QRP totals!

73 de Lee

KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 11:43:24 AM »

Mike is one incredible QRP operator.  He builds some of the funky-est stuff and gets it on the air.  He's a great inspiration.

72 es OO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: