Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bencher Paddle Repairs  (Read 6580 times)
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 09:42:05 AM »

well, you mixed up two different things, on the paddles you, yourself will be able to tell the difference right away, no ifs or buts about that, period.
P.S. BTW if you feel about your key as just SPST, why not to take screwdriver and tap away on the chassis? even cheaper...eh?

Sure it is, a friend told me, what I was forgotten, that I made a QSO with 2 wires as key.

But nevertheless a good key:
- is very fine and easily adjustable
- keeps it adjustments over time and (shack) temperature
- has little bounce time

Just as with watches, it makes a mechanical watch extremely expensive to obtain really good specs, but when the solution is electronically : better then best mechanical specs become available for one buck only.

So why not use fixed mounted pressure sensitive resistor pads as paddle;
look at the youtube of DJ1YFK, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U68U7jlnt-I  YOU K0TF record it and play it on half speed, so you can confirm the nearly exact timing of the generated Morse code.

Bob
K0TF

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 10:53:43 AM »

My point was/is that the guy on the other end of the line can not, and probably wouldn't be impressed if I told him I was using a key consisting of a piece of wood that had formed the keel of Noah's Ark and metal from the shield of Alexander the Great.
 I've never sat down with any key or paddle (single or dual) that I couldn't use after a couple minutes of adjusting.
PAT, Hello, He's talking about paddles. Don't tell me you never heard stuck electronics keyer... endless series of dots, or dashes, every two three correct characters, annoying at least.
So why not use fixed mounted pressure sensitive resistor pads as paddle;
look at the youtube of DJ1YFK, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U68U7jlnt-I  YOU K0TF record it and play it on half speed, so you can confirm the nearly exact timing of the generated Morse code.
Bob
Bob, you're so entertaining in your ignorance, that I'll forgive you. Do you homework before flapping your PA0BLAH... BLAH... BLAH...
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 11:11:37 AM »

Bob, you're so entertaining in your ignorance, that I'll forgive you. Do you homework before flapping your PA0BLAH... BLAH... BLAH...

Haha, I just did my homework and I hoped you would be trapped in the mousetrap I set wide open for you.

But nevertheless Most amateurs are not interested in HST at all, and want just to make QSO's or do some contesting at a speed they feel comfortable with. Any key will do, and expensive keys are a waste of money in that case, unless it is to show they can afford it to buy them.

And Yes, Blah blah, remember: "Nomen est omen"
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:13:25 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
K0TF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 11:29:43 AM »

Haha, I just did my homework and I hoped you would be trapped in the mousetrap I set wide open for you.
But nevertheless Most amateurs are not interested in HST at all, and want just to make QSO's or do some contesting at a speed they feel comfortable with. Any key will do, and expensive keys are a waste of money in that case, unless it is to show they can afford it to buy them.
And Yes, Blah blah, remember: "Nomen est omen"
Bob, you stuck on stupid, (and I would say permanently) trust me on that one, its a different section of the forum. If you take a look on top, you'll be able read "Bencher Paddle Repairs"
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 11:47:10 AM »

Bob, you stuck on stupid, (and I would say permanently) trust me on that one, its a different section of the forum. If you take a look on top, you'll be able read "Bencher Paddle Repairs"

Oh sh*t, I drifted away and the bottle is empty, and now I must see to come downstairs in slow motion.
WA8MAX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 02:22:41 PM »

NO K0TF hummmmmmm-Bencher Paddle Repair-

sent them back NO Charge Except shipping-that was for
          a 1976 model-the New models do  come all a-part
     like the old,my DAD started me out on Benchers when I
      8 yrs old,he has hundreds of keys,bugs ,paddles-I see
      no problem with them- with the exception you can not
      slap them around-they have a very fine feel for me and
      have been using them going on 17 yrs-Not a Mercury
      tho-(N2DAN) I often use those  -but Dad gets upset.

Max-WA8MAX
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 04:56:19 AM »

This is a little late, but doesn't hurt saying anyway.
The type/brand of key best for you is a matter of personal preference and 'tuning'.  After some point, which differs with everyone, a 'smoother' key is a waste of time and money.  If you can feel the difference between two different brand keys, most of the time it's a matter of adjustment/tuning.  I'm afraid I don't have the sensitivity for those really 'high dollar' keys so they would be a waste for me.
All keys/paddles are subject to wear and can only take so much abuse (me too for that matter).  If you break it, fix it, if you can, then just don't break it anymore!  If you continually break a key/paddle then it's time to take a close look at your style of operating, you know?
Bencher does fix keys or will sell you the parts to do so yourself.  Found that out for my self.  Call them.
 - Paul
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: