Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning Coax?  (Read 1576 times)
G7MRV

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:15:49 AM »

I have a good length of RG-213 salvaged from a commercial installation. Its in good condition electrically, no moisture ingress, and as best i know there is no damage to the outer sleeve.

However, it was laid across an asphalt roof, and so has a lot of tar/bitumen stuck to it. How do i safely clean off the muck and bitumen without damaging the jacket?

Regards

Martin G7MRV

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:30:18 AM »

I have had same problem,If tar is not to thick just wipe down coax with a rag soaked with paint thinner (turpintine),thinner has had no effect on my RG-58.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:32:53 AM by W1JKA » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:35:58 AM »

Tar can be removed by Mineral Spirits, and believe is or not olive oil (that is an old Italian mother's trick). I would stick with the mineral spirits. Wear some good latex or vinyl gloves.
KK4GER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:44:38 PM »

After you are done cleaning it, wipe it down with ArmorAll.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 06:36:45 PM »

Mineral spirits/Varsol/Stoddard Solvent; same thing.  It will leave no residue when it evaporates.

I would not use any polishes or shining compounds like Armour All on the jacket.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:49:22 PM »

Why would you clean coax? I never even wash my truck!  Grin
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 02:33:45 AM »

Thanks for the hints fellas, I'll give the spirit a go, think ive some somewhere, if not its cheep

SDY - If you'd seen the state of it, you'd know why im gonna clean it  Grin

SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 04:02:36 AM »

I would use WD-40 sprayed onto a cotton cloth and just run the coax through the wet cloth. This will work probably the best. WD-40 cleans almost anything.
73 Jim. W5JJG
KK4GER

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 04:07:29 AM »

Mineral spirits/Varsol/Stoddard Solvent; same thing.  It will leave no residue when it evaporates.

I would not use any polishes or shining compounds like Armour All on the jacket.

Armor All is a UV inhibitor as well, which is great for outdoor cables and will help preserve them.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 04:56:21 AM »

Go to an automotive store and get some bug and tar cleaner.  It has minimal solvent in it yet works well to clean tar off of things.  The added bonus is that it won't harm the coax jacket like some of the other things would.  AAMOF, it may well help extend the life of the coax by the polish that is included in it.  It also works a lot faster than other solvents, being actually made to soften and remove tar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: