Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skype / HRD / Signallink USB advice  (Read 12098 times)
W8VCK

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2012, 05:51:16 PM »

I have an FT-990 using HRD, Skype, and a Signal-Link USB.

I use Skype as part of my work, with a USB headset, but would like an easy way to switch it to the radio for remote operation using LogMeIn or GotoMyPC.  (DynDNS is blocked by my ISP)

I assume that most folks take the audio from the radio, and mic input, and simply connect it to the soundcard, selecting mic & speaker from the Skype setup menu to do this, with an isolation transformer for good measure.

I noticed in my Skype menu that the USB CODEC for the Signal-Link shows up as both a microphone and a speaker.

Do I have the solution sitting in front of me here?  Or do I need to start soldering up some cables and switching arrangements?

WD9T

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:10:38 PM »

Forget using Skype for your audio...you will need to use 2 accounts, one for the rig audio and one for the remote audio set to auto answer.  I have a FT990 and bring my rig audio from the back of the rig straight into the mic input and use a free remote program called Teamviewer to access the remote computer and use HRD for the rig control.  With Teamviewer, you can control BOTH the remote VOIP audio from the rig and the VOIP audio from the remote computer.  This feature eliminates the need to use Skype entirely.  Works like a champ.  You can get Teamviewer at http://www.teamviewer.com
K9AQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:31:44 PM »

I have been running remotely for several years, using a TS480.  I have tried several different ways to control the rig and connect the audio.  For what it's worth,  I have found that for me, a VNC application, I use Logmein.com and Skpe for the audio provides the most reliable connection.  I operate a lot for hotel rooms and have found some hotel networks that block some of the ports used by either HRD Deluxe or Kenwood's remote/host connections. I also tried IPSound and ran in to similiar problems.

With Logmein.com and Skype I have never had a problem connecting or with dropped connections.

I use a Heil Promedia headset with an external USB Sound Plaster sound card on my laptop and a Tigertronics USB sound card on the host computer. I also have set up buttons in HRD to set different TX equalization settings and have found that adding a little bass boost improves my voice over Skype.  I always get good unsolicated comments on the quality of my transit audio.

I have never used Teamviewer so I can't compare it to Logmein.com  I did compare it to RealVNC and Logmein provides much better response with less latency.

I just love the TS480HX!

Don K9AQ
KC2RGW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:42:16 AM »

Yes the Signalink will work just fine with Skype.

I prefer setting I think it is JP3 that enhances the VOX sensitivity and you will want to experiment with the delay pot a bit, somewhere around 10 o-clock or so should set the delay appropriately for voice VOX use.

Set up an account for  <callsign-rig-audio> and set that account to auto answer, but only from <callsign>.  Then when you are remote you sign in to Skype as <callsign> and connect to <callsign-rig-audio> and you are all set.  Mute the microphone and use the mic mute as a TX switch basically...unmute and your audio goes in, VOX trips on the Signalink and out it goes.

The audio quality on Skype is remarkably good and reasonably low latency too.
N2GEW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 07:09:35 AM »

I felt since this post has all the components I am looking for, I would ask an additional question involving the SignaLink USB for the audio.
I have set up the SignaLink with Digipan and am successful on PSK 31 from my shack. And I have downloaded Skype and will now look to set up the audio.

I, as W8CVK, wonder if I need any additional audio cables from the SignaLink or whether the "solution is already in front of me"?

I am presuming that since I am receiving (and sending) PSK 31, I have the audio and TX I need already: but I am not
"hearing" any audio on my computer speakers as the PSK 31 stream is only heard on the radio. Do I need to configure the SignaLink (with any additional audio out/in cable) so I may actually hear the audio on the computer or do I merely have to correctly configure the Skype audio correctly as what I need is really already there?

Any assistance is appreciated
N2GEW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »

When using this combination: Skype / HRD / Signalink / LogMeIn / CAT interface, is it necessary / possible to operate phone only as VOX?

You see, while Digipan works fine (local or remote), I had to fiddle a bit to get voice audio over to the radio with the Signlink. In the end,
I was only able to do so by setting the Skype audio setting on the remote (for both the microphone and speakers) to the USB Audio Codec, which is the Signalink.
When the speakers were set for the computer speakers, the PTT on the Signalink would not trip when in LSB/USB Mode. Switching to the USB Audio CODEC for both transmit and speakers sends audio to the radio and lights the PTT on the Signalink, but it switches (automatically) over to VOX and it doesn't look like operating PTT (via HRD) is an option.
The VOX control via HRD has no effect: it's VOX or nothing for SSB.

I also looks like setting the audio is going to be a bit tricky as I am not getting much ALC, but that maybe part of the learning curve.

I was wondering if using the Signalink is going to mandate VOX in SSB mode as I am finding?
Anybody know?

N2GEW
W8VCK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 04:55:08 PM »

I've been away from the shack for a couple of months but am eager to get things worked out.

My experience has been that with the SignalLink I can hear the radio fine remotely, but no audio out on transmit using HRD, no VOX either.

So I am going to try going direct -- Speakers to Mic In on the radio, mic to speakers out.  If it works, I'll take a stab at matching impedance.

73 de Alan, W8VCK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: